Freakin' With The Freaker's Ball Seed Collective

This is great! I really hope it survives! Good job so far…how much longer before a transplant roughly? Weeks…a month or more?

5 Likes

I’m making topicals first to see how that helps and then I’ll move into tincture and quintessence once I have the skill, I am new to making extracts but I’m studying from Alchemy books and Spagyrics manuals. Cannabis is my primary medicine plant, but NY has a lot of wild medicine as well in mushroom and plant form. Most of the Medieval alchemists were using full plant extracts in hugely concentrated doses for healing purposes and my goal is to replicate their research and be my own guinea pig and try to help myself and my family out.

10 Likes

I had a friend that lived in the woods for 35 years, who taught me many of the plants of the region. The Catskill Mountains are literally full of medicinal plants, one of the most concentrated regions anywhere. Nearly every plant has some sort of medicinal use. You are in New York?

7 Likes

@Upstate Those type of people are worth their weight in gold and beyond! I am lucky to have my fathers experience to teach me, and Western NY is more like PA really, just Amish here for the most part

10 Likes

Whole lotta nothing in places out that way. I’ve always wanted to go to the Allegany State Park to do some trout fishing or cross country skiing.
God definitely broke the mold when he made my friend. He passed away close to 10 years ago now. He lived in a pup tent in Saranac Lake (among other places) for two years. He was a local Legend up there. Nothing but a Sterno can for heat. He was a Trapper by trade. A true wild man.

15 Likes

Happy February Overgrow! :grinning:

The official FBSC sign-up thread is up in the Smoker’s Lounge:

If you have questions, please post them here, NOT in the poll thread.

Thank you for you cooperation.
:guitar:

9 Likes

One of these days I’ll be able to go through all these, unfortunately in my current circumstances, I’m not able to do as many runs as I want.So I’m doing whatever I can to preserve some traditional cannabis/heirlooms, in this case collecting.

I’m sure I have doubles of Rasoli,Manipuri, Parvati and some others to donate if someone is interested in preserving them

image image image image image

28 Likes

Wow, that’s an impressive collection. :exploding_head:

Did I see Sinai in the first picture? I wanted to buy some from RSC but payment was complicated and the Brexit situation unclear so I backed out of it. I’m still interested in the strain though. However I could probably not run more than five, harvest pollen & kill the males and grow out two, max three girls. And I’d probably have to wait until after summer.

7 Likes

Wow :star_struck: mango biche and lambs bread :sun_with_face:
What a nice collection you have!

7 Likes

Allegheny is wonderful, hoping to fish there this year and we definitely have a few mushroom honey holes out there.(golden chanterelles & Black Trumpets) Your friend sounds like he lived a far better life than most!

4 Likes

Okay now that I see the sign up sheet is up for being a freak. I gotta be a freak. I’m gonna push my plant count a bit and order some new equipment to make sure I have enough space for being a freak.

I know I’m not at 6 months yet so I know I need to run an assigned strain for newbies according to your guidelines. Is it okay if I run one of the strains I already have for simplicity?

This is what I have.
KUMAONI - purchased from seed bank but doesn’t have which company it is from.
Rasoli - SOURCED FROM TRADE
Mexican sativa - Sensi seeds
Afghan kush - world of seeds
Brazil Amazonia - world of seeds
Columbian gold - world of seeds
Ketama - world of seeds
Killimanjaro - world of seeds
Pakistan Valley -world of seeds
South African kwazulu - world of seeds
Wild Thailand - world of seeds
Hawaii Maui waui - nirvana

@Guitarzan or whomever chooses or wants to give me guidance here, if you could pick one of those listed above I will get started asap, or if youd rather I run something else just let me know :slight_smile: gonna order new equipment tonight and grow all these plants organic now as well in my new set up. Thanks. I gotta be a freak! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Wow! That’s a nice collection, a lot of diversity there. Lambsbread, Viet Silver Leaf, Cambodian, Oaxacan, Thai Stick, Philippines, Sinai, and India.

If you’ll PM me a list of the strains you’d like to share I’ll add them to the vault. I always say vault, but it’s just a list. You hold the seeds, and mail them out if someone wants to run them.

BTW, according to FBSC guidelines, if you donate a pack to the vault, you get a full pack of seeds when the preservation run is finished.

Thanks for offering those strains man. And check out the poll, be a Freak! :grinning:

10 Likes

If it qualifies, as everything you listed does, running your own strain as your probation grow is actually perfect. You’ve already got the seeds in hand, so you’ll just need to do a grow log. If you think you can complete another run this year, then go ahead and sign up as a Total Freak. When that second run is finished, you’ll a Freak in good standing for 2021, and you’ll get a pack from every 2021 FBSC run.

Don’t screw around, sign-up today!! :grinning:
:guitar: :

9 Likes

This is great for the community ,props to you all for starting this.

5 Likes

Just seems odd to make an offshoot of what is already happening here (seed run co ops)

Honestly, my first imoression is that you are gonna start a seed co and sell all the extra beans. Donator gets 1 pk back?? Lol why donate then and take the risk of getting facked over??

I donno, seems odd.

Good luck

4 Likes

I guess I’d remind you that first impressions are often wrong. We’re not really an offshoot of the Co-Ops. We maintain our own vault, and you’re not gonna find Mint Berry Crunch anywhere in it. We’re not interested in that, and like you say, the Co-Ops already exist for that.

We’re about preserving pure and hybrid landrace and heirloom strains. We currently have 180 strains on our, (incomplete), Master list. The landrace strains especially need to be preserved, if for no other reason, so that the next generation of breeders has access to the same building blocks we’ve had.

Some of the landrace strains we have are considered threatened or endangered, and we expect to find that some have been hybridized. Those need to be run ASAP. A lot of the landrace/heirloom hybrids we have are discontinued, in some cases we have the breeders last pack. Those strains need to be preserved too.

A 16-24 commitment of time and resources, and doing a full open pollination on all FBSC runs isn’t a small ask. The requirements to be a full member are disruptive, and, IMO, if you’re going to ask someone to make that kind of commitment to the success of your project, it’s only right that you recognize its value, and respond accordingly, and I think we have.

First, when I say “pack” in the context of the FBSC, I’m not talking about 10 seeds. I’m talking about a breeders pack of 100 seeds on full open pollination runs, and hopefully, a 50 pack on limited OP runs. I think 5, or 10 to 1 is a pretty good return on a donated pack

Full members get a breeders pack from every FBSC run completed that year. I think that recognizes their commitment nicely. You can still be a grower without committing all those resources, but you’ll only get seeds from the run that you’re the grower on.

The whole point of the FBSC’s PITA requirements is to ensure a pure preservation, and to make as many seeds as possible. The whole point of the incentives is to make the requirements palatable.

After the seeds themselves, I think the most important component of preserving a strain is distributing the seeds to people who’ll grow them out, make more seeds, work the lines, make hybrids. We see the Co-Ops as a means to that end, so there will be Co-Op sign-ups for every full OP run, and every limited OP run that we get enough seeds from. We also plan to support the server auctions, and probably do some kind of giveaways from time to time.

We’ve approached @Sebring about being our distributor, and he’s considering it. If he agrees, all “extra” seeds will go to him for distribution on his site, just like the OG Co-Op runs do now.

I don’t know why you felt the need to disparage our group when you have no idea what our plans are, but I totally disagree with your criticisms. I’m especially offended by your assertion that people will get ripped off if they donate to the FBSC, and it just flat pisses me off that you’d publically accuse members of our group of dishonesty when you have absolutely nothing to base that accusation on.

Fortunately for all of us, you’ll never have to worry about it because It’s not a situation you’ll ever find yourself in.

Have a good day. :v:

15 Likes

I just dont understand all these offshoots. It often causes confusion among members.

Ill get over it.

6 Likes

If Sebring does handle the distribution, would I be bulk mailing all the seeds to him from Canada once I complete my run? Could be thousands of seeds from an open pollination. Is it okay to ship such a bulk amount of seeds across the border? I’m sure you have ideas of how to make this seem less sketchy. Would love to hear some of them. Just don’t know if I’d be safe sending such a large quantity of seeds in one package. Thanks.

6 Likes

Sorry. Not a root, it was a contaminant. :cry: I have more seeds though.

ONWARD!!

3 Likes

Reread what he just typed . It explains this particular offshoot and its purpose perfectly.
I also say that as a person who has also thought of the possible problem you pointed out .

4 Likes