FREE Growroom Security Camera

Thanks for sharing your camera setups. Lots of good ideas in there.

After beta testing a bit today I’ve decided that this particular method has its faults but it’s pretty good and damn good for free.

IR is seen by plants, green is the only part of the spectrum that they don’t see. So there is a possibility of problems.

2 Likes

You guys be careful with these cheap cameras please. I bought KKmoon cameras, I had one at my shop so I could remotely monitor my 3d printer, since it had pan and tilt and audio it doubled as a security camera. It was hacked and I can tell you it was pretty nerve-wracking. I actually got a phone call/voice mail from the hackers. I posted it on my Facebook page as a warning and if I can I will post it up here so you guys can see it later.
Just be careful if you are using these cameras in prohibition land.

4 Likes

I brought that up in an earlier post, my neighbor is a computer wiz and found all my wireless cams and showed me walking around my house in my underware,

6 Likes

These security concerns are good ones. I happen to live where it’s legalish but if I were in an area under prohibition I might think twice.

If they also see me in my underwear, that’s fine too.

5 Likes

Quoted from my original FB post on the subject.

"So, with everything going on in the news with Nest and other techie things/brands being hacked I thought I would share my experience with my friends. Here goes.

On the afternoon of Jan 14 2019 one of my regulars came in and was making her normal purchases for the week and she asked me about a couple things that she’d like to get. I informed her that with the current state of the vape market it would be cheaper for her to order from FastTech or one of the other Chinese companies like BangGood or Gear Best. She said ok and went on about her business. As soon as she left I went to the back room to make a pot of coffee and when I came back I had a missed call from an unknown number complete with a voicemail, this voicemail that you hear on the video.

“Remove the battery with the American flag on it from your countertop immediately. You my friend are in big trouble. There was a woman in your shop about 15 to 20 minutes ago to whom you talked about the website called FastTech dot com. I am here to warn you do not mention this website again.”

Here is the thing, in a former life I was a semi professional IT person, no official training, just lots of OJT from being in the printing industry for a number of years that consisted if figuring things out and making them work nicely with one another, so I am pretty security oriented as a general rule. I ordered these KKMoon cameras from a Chinese website called Gear Best and they are super cool. They have a speaker and a mic and so you can effectively communicate with someone in my showroom from your smartphone. I knew this when I bought them and that was a big selling point and priced at less than $30 each I saw it as a win win. So I ordered about a year ago.

It took a month for them to show up as things normally do when they come over on the slow boat. I got them in, piddled around with them in their stock configuration to see how they worked and then went about setting them up with passwords and “securing” them. They worked great for their intended purpose. Hell I almost, at one point, bought more because they were such a great deal.

Then this mess happened and I can tell you without a doubt I will never order cheap security cameras again. I’m firmly convinced that whatever it is they use to look in and snoop is cooked into the firmware of the cameras so no matter how well you think you have “secured” them they are NOT secure. I suspect they also get your phone number because you have to provide one when you sign up for an account to be able to order their stuff. This one is still up in my shop but it is unplugged and that is the way it will stay.

Now, if any of you knuckleheads that I don’t know in real life think I don’t have multiple working cameras in my shop think again, smile, you’re on candid camera, just not a cheap Chinese ones.

I hope you all have an awesome day, be good to one another."

Ya’ll be good to one another and remember if you are in prohibition land OPSEC is of the utmost importance.

2 Likes

Green is seen by plants, too. Its actual a very important part of the growing spectrum. It just doesnt affect the photoperiod. Same with IR.

For those with IPCameras just disable the cloud functionality and limit access to the cameras port to local requests only in your router and you should be mostly safe.

3 Likes

with that app you could even talk to your plants…

1 Like

I just bought the blink security cameras from Amazon they were on sale. I want a camera in the tent so I can watch the garden when I am away at work. Your idea is actually really cool rigging up an old cell phone. I just don’t have an extra phone laying around right now.

2 Likes

i have several of the wyze and ive enjoyed them. i bought them for when i was out of the country to keep me from worrying. see top back left of pic. i just finished a 20 day timelapse and it has settings for the IR.

editing to say that for the price the pic quality is great and the controls they offer are nice as well. and yes i posted this pic in show us your buds thread as well

oh and make sure you get the V3, its worth the extra $$ imo

2 Likes