Grow cam recommendations

I leave for a few days sometimes more a dozen times throughout the year and interested in a camera to keep an eye on things and for peace of mind.

What are some good ones that have strong security?

6 Likes

@Jellypowered use a nice IR Cam to view his while he’s away. I think @ReikoX uses the same one. I don’t remember the name of the cams or I would’ve link them.

5 Likes

This is the one we use.

Zmodo Wireless Security Camera System (2 Pack) Smart HD WiFi IP Cameras with Night Vision https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FCJNX46/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_6sXiCbMYQW720

8 Likes

Can you live view it or only recordings? Do you pay for their cloud service?

5 Likes

This one doesn’t require your location and other s*** Chinese trying to get from you

There is a live view via internet browser or phone app.

5 Likes

Im using an old logictech webcam hanging from my light. I ran a long USB cable to my laptop. Then I have a remote desktop app so I can access my laptops windows 10 desktop from my phone. I can do anything on the laptop from anywhere there is wifi using my phone. No cloud needed. The week link here is the remote desktop app, but I prefer that over a chinese c loud server.

3 Likes

Me personally, It’s not the Chinese government that worries me. I don’t think they care about growing weed. They don’t want to ruin lives over a plant. Other governments however…

5 Likes

Yes live from the app on my phone, anywhere in the world. No, I dont use the cloud service. Here is my auto grows live now:

8 Likes

Can you ser it up to take pictures for a timelapse?

2 Likes

Dont think you can, easily anyway. If you know how let me know. Basically I got them to keep an eye on things when I have to go out of town.

4 Likes

It will depend on your computer system, but if the cam shows up in windows as a “camera”, you probably can.

Ive used several time lapse apps on my windows laptop. They can all use my logicteck webcam, or the internal camera on the laptop or any of the usb scopes Ive tried. If @ReikoX cam shows up as an option in the menu, then you can set up time laspe when you leave home and it will run till you get back. Or, you can use a remote desktop app to turn it on/off.

You would have to plug on in and see if it shows up or not in the menu options. If Windows built-in camera app ‘see it’ as an option, it will work.

1 Like

Is it completely safe and private?

3 Likes

Nothing you do on a computer is 100% safe and private if its attached to the internet :wink:

All the cloud, and remote access Apps claim to keep you and your data safe and private - but Facebook, Uber, and all the others who had millions of user accounts hacked this last year - or shared your data without telling you - said that too!!

4 Likes

If your in a legal state or country, I wouldnt worry about it. If you’re not, then it could be an issue, but the attitude on growing privately is changing rapidly. if you are a larger commercial grow some where its not legal, that could be a different story for sure.

2 Likes

Don’t think it would, this us a wifi camera not USB. It actually never gets plugged I to anything but AC/DC power supply.

Perhaps there is a way using IFTTT or a similar web API. But there is not a simple “time lapse” mode.

1 Like

I’ve got a trendnet in my room, it’s got pan , tilt and zoom but shitty resolution.
I just put it up so the bois in blue can drive by and check my plant count.

1 Like

Ended up going with the ones Reiko posted.

2 for $55 can’t go wrong. Will be here tomorrow. Just in time since I’m going Boston for the New Year’s for a two day concert

2 Likes

I own four, they do a decent job. :+1::seedling:

2 Likes

Not the best of quality. Very easy to setup. Thanks for the suggestion Reiko.

For $28 a piece I can’t complain. Didn’t get it for trich shots lol

3 Likes

Probably a dumb question but I’ve always wondered, do the IR lights in the camera mess with the plants in the dark cycle?

3 Likes