FREE Growroom Security Camera

Hello all:

This morning I rigged up a security camera in my growroom for 0 (zero) dollars.

Gear:
Dirty old iPhone 4S
Free pivoting selfie stick
Dirty old power cord.

I used an app called Alfred. It is buggy, laggy, and low resolution. You can pay to upgrade these things. I won’t.

Just install the app on both phones, mount it as best you can, and that’s it.

This is the rig.

Here is the view of a lonely Pink Cookie :slight_smile:

You just can’t argue with FREE!

Edit: it took about an hour and that includes the 45 minutes it took to update the ancient phone.

35 Likes

Great idea, especially free.

5 Likes

That’s really cool! I have a few old phones laying around, i might play with that.

3 Likes

That’s great. To bad my daughters have trashed all my old phones. Will have to check if
There is one with a shattered screen that still might work for this.

3 Likes

As long as the screen works well enough to setup you should be fine. It does audio too.

3 Likes

you can also use something called ewelink camera on the same principle, if you use sonoff stuff anyway and have spare phone it integrates with your other stuff

3 Likes

Ya that is what I gotta check. I know one will only show 1/2 the screen and that half is in pieces :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

I ThInk there are quite a few. I chose this one at random.

2 Likes

thats fair enough that bro. i only stumbled on the ewelink one because it showed up in the sonoff app to try it, worked quite well but i already have an IP camera in my room so ended up being kinda pointless lol

2 Likes

I considered paying for the upgraded software but I’m more likely to spend $50 on a real camera than pay $3 a month forever.

3 Likes

Yes. I have a couple of these. They were discontinued and got them for $35 locally. Your videos are on the cloud free for 24hrs and can view live anytime with no fees. There are others out there that don’t have fees as well.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRFV6G9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_nA86DbCD5A5MW

2 Likes

And just to be clear, the IR on IP cameras will not affect the photo period? Was looking into those wyze cams someone posted…nice and cheap…wanted to grab a few

6 Likes

Don’t know about the IR but I can remotely turn the flashlight on which makes me photoperiod nervous.

3 Likes

i have an IR IP camera and can safely say it isnt affecting my grow. not the first time ive used it either.

7 Likes

Actually looked at the Wyze myself. Haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

4 Likes

The up grade is worth it…

3 Likes

Just a reminder , the wireless cams use to be able to be hacked by the neighbors and such
Just in case make sure nothing in the grow room is identifiable or your face gets on camera if in a non-friendly place

5 Likes

Awesome mate, going to set this up now. Wireless security cams are about 100-150 bucks here so this should save me a bit of money lol.

3 Likes

I have the Wyze Cam Pan & it rocks for $30.

7 Likes

Both of my cams are “free”

This one is a recycled android phone with eWelink Camera App. The footage can then be viewed with the eWelink app, which is the same app that controls my timers, exhaust, pumps etc so pretty nifty. Its basic though and you cant even full screen the footage.

Then theres this cheap 480p IP Camera"Tenvis Security Camera" that was found in a junk pile and given to me to see if I can find a use for. It can be panned and has IR, not that it matters as my plants dont get a dark period.

1 Like