Infrared NDIV camera to see active photosynthesis

I’m researching cameras I can use in my grow room so I can check on my plants when I’m away for days at a time. I’m learning about NDIV imaging which uses infrared light to see active photosythesis so that you can quickly identify which plants are growing quickly and which ones aren’t from the colors in the adapted thermal imaging. I’m wondering if anyone has ever adapted a standard security camera with IR night vision to do this successfully and if so, which one did they use? Many people use a Rasberry Pi but I’m trying to see if I can adapt a security camera that can pan 360 degrees so I can monitor my whole grow room. Here are some links that demonstrate the phenomena

https://infragram.org/

11 Likes

What a great first post @Uncle_Jack. I don’t have the answer but I bet OG will :smiley::+1: welcome, you will love it here.

3 Likes

I wonder if the non-visible output from the array of LEDs present on most night vision security cameras could cause light stress in flowering plants.

1 Like

I’ve wondered that too but I don’t think the plant absorbs IR light so my guess is no but I wouldn’t risk my crop on it

1 Like

@Uncle_Jack I livestream on twitch and I have the stream running 24 hours.

This is the camera I use. Havnt had any issues.

4 Likes

Thanks Syn,
curious why do you have your plants on 72 hours of dark? Can you look at your plants through the IR mode during the day or does it switch automatically?

1 Like

It switches, but I can disable it in the camera settings.

And im doing a 72 hour dark cycle because I believe the ganja monster will eat my plants if I dont.

1 Like