Free Open Source Seed Bank

Maybe skunk smell would be worth doing. So many people talk about the good skunk in the old days. Also, something easy for people to spot. Just pass the seeds from the skunkiest female.

To be open source, your want a new model. Something like, give all participants a number and some seeds. They grow them out, and pollenate. Pass some seeds from your skunkiest female to the person with the number above you. Maybe even hold your pollen at that point for the next round. That way nobody holds all the seeds, and if anyone drops out or disappears, you just remove or replace them.

if mixing the most varieties possible equally, you might even want to do a bracket system kinda deal. But then it would end eventually.

I think a big mix would be cool, but mostly only if there were lots of old landrace stuff mixed in heavily. Some 100% indicas and sativas, and preferably zero cookie genes.

1 Like

Those rules are gonna change for next year. I don’t have it all straight yet, but one of the things that’s settled is there’s no more affiliates, or probation or any of that. That shit was far too involved, and the solution was simple. To join the Freaker’s Ball in 2022, you only need one thing, the “Overgrower” badge. You get that by completing a seed run for the Co-Op.

The criteria for a Co-Op run is, the strain has to either be discontinued, a “building block” strain that everyone has for sale, like Northern Lights or Durban Poison, or an old black market/heirloom/landrace. You can also run one If permission is given by the breeder. You can run your own strain, or there’s a thread here: Strain Donations and Breeder Match Ups for Preserving The title says it all. :grinning:

I’ve been encouraging people who’ve expressed an interest in joining the FBSC to get started on a Co-Op run. The badge idea wasn’t mine, but the first thing I thought when I heard it was, “damn, I wish I’d thought of that”. :laughing: In my opinion, it’s a win-win for everybody. :vulcan_salute:
:guitar:

11 Likes

Good to know. I’ll take a look at that list and see what there is. I might have access to something cool through my network too… but I won’t count my chickens before they hatch.

Thanks for everyone’s input! It’s been great to see all the responses and hear what everybody’s concerns are. Definitely not a finished idea so I’ll take all of that into my future iterations. It’s not dead yet!

But from what everyone is saying I think the best place to get started is with the co-op and freakers.

4 Likes

Bravo on making that a requirement, it can only lead to more reproductions and preservations. Win/win for everyone involved. The requirements for 2x runs / year are still standing to remain a member?

1 Like

I don’t know about that one yet. It’s made it harder to keep up with whose doing what in terms of runs. It was originally put in to help speed up the preservations by providing an incentive to do more than one run per year, which is good.

We knew this first year would be a trial run to let us gauge the interest, and to see which rules were overkill. Like the whole probation thing, and the membership stuff. Hopefully we’ll get better at it. :slight_smile:
:guitar:

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.