From SSeeDD to sail.. exploring SSDD, pollen chucks & Bodhi Crosses

Just letting you know I haven’t forgot about the smoke reports mostly completed but been chaotic the past few weeks my dads been in the hospital and just had emergency surgery I will say the smoke has surprised me in a good way will get them posted asap much love @syzygy

13 Likes

Damn dude sorry to hear that, that really sucks when life throws you into those kinds of situations. Hoping you posting here means he’s doing better. Don’t worry about rushing out a report on my account, whenever / if you get to it, if not no big deal. I’m just glad the nanner issue didn’t ruin your crop.

10 Likes

Not a single seed found yet I’m thinking sterile anthers on it and might even be my favorite out of the 3 after some cure time, he’s doing a bit better currently but not out of the woods fully but he had one successful surgery out of 3 that will be needed long road ahead but taking it moment by moment and they will get posted something I enjoy doing :blush:

10 Likes

Was visiting my friend today and he was excited to inform me that his (non-cannabis) plant is covered in predatory mites. Camera says otherwise… Always feels like I’m playing with fire going near my plants after being around stuff like this. I take precautions but even showering and changing clothes has me paranoid after seeing severe infestations.

Hard to get a good shot in the lighting conditions and being handheld. The speed these nymphs were moving I nearly believed they were predators…Never seen two-spotted spider mites move so quickly before.

So I’ve been thinking a lot the past few days because I’m going to have to germinate soon. Will be gambling on low numbers hoping for a female or 2 per cross. Rather not put all my eggs in one strain basket this run.

Very small numbers (2-3) of

Field Trip GSC x SSDD - I still am really interested in this one and can’t shake my curiousity.

Baba Kush - Bubba Kush x SSDD - IAY’s growlog of this one looked incredible and all plants looked appealing to me. I suppose I could do some Pre 98 bubba kush S1s instead but Baba Kush seems like it’s probably a safer bet.

Lav Jack - Jack Herer x Wookie 15 – feeling less and less excited about this one after the discussion about smell, but Bodhi’s Jack H seems to get a lot of praise across the forums

Also considering adding one of the following in order of interest

Chem 91 SkunkVA x SSDD - - would probably be a good idea to give some chem genetics a try again.

Sun RA - Still wish I kept my cedar pheno

SSDD keeper F2
Triple Sunshine A x SSDD #1 - curious on both

Going to pull the SSDDs soon as we approach day 70. Seeds are ripe and the one I tested germinated fine.

SSDD mother looking a bit rough. Don’t intend to consume any of it anyways.

SSDD #2

22 Likes

Wha’d your friend say when you informed him that those were not, in fact, predatory mites? Haha.

I just read Iamyou’s update; sounds like you kind of have to plant some of those Baba’s, right? The Chem/SSDD sounds interesting, too.

10 Likes

He commented on how fast they were moving and insisted they were predators, so I went to my car and got the TG6 and it was clear they were two-spotted haha. I’m always paranoid as hell about something hitching a ride but so far I’ve been lucky…

Ya everything he grew out looked awesome to me and sounds like what I’m after. Seems a safer bet than germinating some Twenty 20 Pre 98 S1s as well. At this rate I figure I’ll want to try some non-ssdd crosses but so far I’ve been really happy with everything I’ve tried. Even the Waking Dream is now starting to look pretty good.

These 2 Chem 91 skva x ssdds that @bytheKasiz posted last fall looked really interesting to me…

14 Likes

I would be, too, man. I’m supposed to swing by supershit’s place (I’m the one who keeps flaking haha) at some point soon, haven’t decided if it’ll be at his house or his shop yet, but I’m like,”Didn’t you mention something about aphids a while back…?” haha.

I agree. I dunno why I’m so opposed to S1’s etc, but I am haha. And that anecdote that Iamyou mentioned about everybody enjoying the Baba Kush seems like that makes it the easy choice.

12 Likes

Yes, you are playing with fire
That’s exactly how I got an infestation a couple years ago…
Clothes changes and showers are the way to go.

Cheers
G

10 Likes

Oh I think I probably poorly worded that - I am showering and changing clothes but even that doesn’t feel sufficient when exposed to insane levels of infestation. Probably is good enough because I’ve still yet to get mites that way yet, but still makes you feel like jumping in a pool of bleach or something after being around that many mites haha.

12 Likes

Pleased to present, for your consideration, Mr. Varuna, serious and successful horticulturalist of over thirty years, who is not quite alright today. Yesterday and its memories of a miteless existence is what he wants. And yesterday is what he’ll not be receiving, for you see Mrs. Varuna’s profession is just that, a wrangler of insects, and not just any my friends, no, of the arachnid two spotted variety. In order not to be crushed by defeat Mr. Varuna will have to escape from his greenhouses, and make his debut on another stage in another world, that we call the Twilight Zone.

7 Likes

Been testing the pre-cure Triple Sunshine A all yesterday + night.Never had tk so no clue how much of that is present and would be foolish to read too much into a pre-cure day of sampling. Reminds me a lot of my favorite K4 x SSDD right now though. Lots of seeds are present and mature, I already picked out like 50 from what I consumed yesterday.

Will obviously post a review once cured and more familiar with it but early impressions are favorable. In person it looks pretty frosty too and is very sticky.

26 Likes

Looks great! Glad I caught up on your thread haha. I’m just sniffing my seeded k4 ssdd plants and imagining.

10 Likes

Glad to have you here and am watching your project with a lot of interest. Love the look of the 2nd picture you posted a few days ago :

Incase anyone somehow missed it.

I really liked the 3 I tried from that cross. You picked a great one to preserve in my opinion. I’ve been really happy with every SSDD cross that I’ve tried so far really.

13 Likes

Thanks!, lucked out on the choice I think. Especially as I’m Loving the sour soapy kush smells. Fingers crossed they cure out like that.

I was stoked on that plant as well she has a great sour note and the stems haven’t gone floppy.

Close up from the same plant.

This was another one I’m super interested in

They really don’t seem like they’ll disappoint with sensi.

Got a couple of crosses with the pollen that’ll be interesting to see how it breeds. super collider (royal kush x old grandpa scratch) x k4 ssdd and purple poison cookies x k4ssdd

19 Likes

Ya I like the thinner leaves on that one, reminds me of my ‘blue’ tinted pheno. All were good smoke regardless though!

Here’s some Waking Dream (wifi 43 x ssdd) getting closer. Never seen a picture of wifi I don’t think and don’t trust what I’d find googling. A bit leafy and smaller buds but I still am liking the look :

Triple Sunshine C - frosty small buds

SSDD #3 - smells good. ridiculously leafy. Thinking about pulling this one soon. Currently we’re around 60-65 days I think.

19 Likes

Damn, those plants just keep looking better and better! The top of the Waking Dream kind of looks like the SSDD #3, is that not the wizard’s hat that @HolyAngel refers to when talking about SSDD?

11 Likes

The interesting thing about that is when I did the mass cull after the intersex male was detected I added 2 Waking Dream cuttings. The other one doesn’t look quite the same. Calyxes, trichome density, pistil color etc looks the same but the overall top bud shape is a bit different. Pistils on both are a very vivid orange. Looks kind of cool in person. Didn’t mess with saturation or anything like that, the pistils just have a lot of vibrancy to them.

It’s hard for me to get a good shot but this is the best I could do of the other Waking Dream. Quickly pulled this one out of the tent for this response so some may be a bit dark.

20 Likes

Wow, really interesting, that one looks pretty damn good too!

9 Likes

Those Time Bandits (WiFi 43 x GHash) I grew a while back were pretty “nug-y” and sort of “OG-ish,” with the golfballs and the wide internodes and all that. I don’t remember them being leafy, though. Different male, obviously, but I suspect that that leafy one might be being influenced by the SSDD dad.

They look good, though! Haha.

14 Likes

Yeah, I just searched up your log of time bandit and found it on THCfarmer. Calyx to leaf ratio looks nicer there for sure and the different plants looked surprisingly uniform to me. That’s almost the look I’m expecting from 88g13hp plants but maybe that’s just because I’m mostly doing OG x 88g13hp crosses lately. The buds on these Waking Dreams are on the smaller side but have been steadily swelling the past few weeks. I feel like the SSDD crosses on average have had substantially stickier and frostier buds than the 88g13hp plants I’ve tested so far. The 88g13hp buds mostly looked like nice dispensary buds with some really nice outliers. I haven’t run an insane amount of numbers though so it’s only a meaningless anecdote. I have been happy with 100% of the crosses that I’ve tried using the SSDD dad so far. That Redeye Jedi was really nice bud though, would love to find that again…

13 Likes