From SSeeDD to sail.. exploring SSDD, pollen chucks & Bodhi Crosses

Day 19~

Pistil tips starting to wither and turn brown. Pollination appears to have taken place. Male is still in the same area spreading the good word…

19 Likes

So you decided to just leave the male in there then? No “painting” branches?

10 Likes

I’m really still undecided, haven’t thought enough about it. The idea of pulling it soon and then manually pollinating the SSDDs to make sure they are fully pollinated has crossed my mind. I imagine there will still be lingering pollen floating around regardless so that kind of isolation may be pointless. Whatever happens at least there will be some seeds at the end of this…

15 Likes

Day 21

Just a quick update. Good news and bad news.

Good news everything is pollinated and fairly healthy.

Bad news is the male is throwing pistils. Cut the male down and am going to think about this for a while but for the sake of transparency I figured I’d post about it. Didn’t have time to get good pictures but did snap 1 clear picture with the tg6. Seems like this is common in the SSDD line to me and I can’t point to any severe stresses (other than being rootbound) to blame this on.

Also the Triple Sunshine C (structurally resembles tk) is growing into the cob and is very frosty. Early trichome rub smells very strongly of juicy fruit gum.

15 Likes

Gawddamn, man, what’s the deal with everybody’s males throwing pistils? Makes me wonder if it’s not as uncommon as I thought…

9 Likes

Ya, I wouldn’t think so much about it if there were some other redeeming quality such as intense smell or a higher degree of frost like @Greasy’s male. I’m thinking I may scrap everything except the SSDD #3, 1 pollinated SSDD bubbashine, 1 Triple Sunshine A and then spray down the area & plants to try to clean up the lingering pollen. Would be nice to still have some F2s made with the mom as a just in case. Will think about it until the weekend when I have more time to actually do it anyways. Open to any thoughts either way but that is the direction I’m leaning.

9 Likes

Bummer! I wonder if the rootbound state has part to do with it - the blueberry lines are known for not liking it at all. SSDD has a bit with the blue moonshine.

10 Likes

Ah that sucks bro! I’d toss him for sure. Damage is already done though. Gonna have some beans with a warning label unfortunately… It seems ime, the phenos with the spicy/vegetable/diarrhea smell are 100% stable? Maybe it’s the more skunky/funky stem rub phenos that are more herm prone? I don’t think rootbound has much to do with it as i’ve seen them herm like that in perfect conditions.

8 Likes

I don’t know and this is the 3rd SSDD throwing pistils that we’ve seen in the past few months. I’d guess in my case that most people would not have seen these pistils. I only saw them because I was zooming in to look at the bulbous trichs a while ago. Saw the tips of what appeared to be pistils and kept my eye on it. Confirmed yesterday that they were not only pistils but self pollinated.

Already tossed but I’m thinking of tossing the majority of the females in the area too. I have a limit on plant count / space and I’m thinking I’d rather not have it all tied up in making beans that I’m not going to germinate. The one exception is the ssdd ‘bubbashine pheno’, I want some F2s made of that just in case so will definitely keep 1 of those going. The untested stuff is just going to be a headache to shuck and clean up post-harvest. Would save a bit of effort taking that on now. Also want to get all the pollen in the area cleaned up so some other females can move in the tent later.

Could be. Almost everything I grow ends up rootbound so that wouldn’t work out well for me either way haha. My SSDD bubbashine leaning mother is very stable and has gone through many cycles of high stress (including rootbound) without issue. I’m not experienced enough with males to really have an opinion on this, first time seeing it in person.

11 Likes

Yeah my long time keeper is 100% stable. I’ve grown her out 9 or 10 times now and not a single nanner ever at any point in time. I think this other one I found that smells exactly like her is the same and has also been completely stable on this first run. But the male I pulled that smelled only kind of like my keeper, put out hairs just like yours did.

9 Likes

Purely for knowledge sake does intersex in a male parent plant translate to intersex in female offspring? I only ask because while there is a huge consensus about intersex issues in female plants this and Holy’s encounter appear to be somewhat rare anomalies. I do recall hearing it mentioned in a few potcast’s, not sure exactly which ones or what was said but I do recall thinking it a rare anomaly from those descriptions as well.
It may have been mentioned but are the intersex males in Bodhi’s F1 stock or are they popping up in F2+ generations.
I did manage to find some F2 seed and specifically asked about intersex in males as I had just saw Holy’s post in his thread about his male intersex issue. Ill recheck my email but recall 8 males in the OP, only one culled for intersex. No details really on stressors or pot size though.

10 Likes

Damn near every male I have ever had starts growing pistils. I think the only male plants I have had that didn’t were autos, and I feel like if they had they enough time they probably fucking would! I got a male Soar f1 that threw pistils, as well as a Crazy Bitch male from Copa. And a slew of others I have forced from my mind haha.

Keeping in mind I really beat male plants up, but if it’s in there, it’s in there.

11 Likes

I’m not experienced enough to answer that really. I’ve read and heard opposing viewpoints from people way more knowledgeable than I am.

Well recently @HorseBadorites had some SSDD F1 males throw pistils that he was attributing to a timer mixup.

Yeah I know that nspecta leans towards the sam the skunkman perspective which is essentially “a herm is a herm”. Dj short and TomHill apparently favor them.

My SSDD male was an F1. Horse’s was an F1. I believe Holy’s was an F2 but not 100% sure.

Interesting. I haven’t ever seen pistils on a male before but I’m not 100% certain that they weren’t present. These were very difficult to see and the TG6 really secured my ability to confirm them. I couldn’t make them out with just my eyes or low quality jeweler’s loupe.

12 Likes

The intersex males show up in the F1’s and F2’s.

I’ve had stable males though. Males that do not put out hairs at all no matter what you do. They definitely exist. Just like there are female plants that do not put out nanners or balls no matter what you do.

There’s been some talk from DJ Short among others that intersex males can increase female ratio in offspring, make more stable females, etc, but there has ben no definitive proof shown for any of that.

13 Likes

Thank You for the detailed response.

5 Likes

Love the discussion and perspectives. I’m still leaning towards a mass cull but am waiting for dissenting opinions. Will give it at least a day of contemplation to avoid being impulsive.

Also @DesertHeartGardens just did a quick review on some SSDD bubbashine pheno x Goji OG and sounds like it was an SSDD leaner. Appreciate it again!

11 Likes

Thank You as well. When I read in your thread the volume of seeds you have been thru hunting that line I went back and picked up a bulk pack of 100 F2 beans in addition to what id already bought. Hopefully I have enough to see it through.

6 Likes

Well the deed is done. No-one seemed to think it was unreasonable to abandon the mission and didn’t manage to talk myself out of it. Going to have to clean / spray down the area again when I get more free time and then maybe a few new things can move in. SSDD Bubbashine , Triple Sunshine A and SSDD #2 remain pollinated. Triple Sunshine A may or may not get removed as well, but for now it’s not bothering anything.

I’m not sure when I’ll pop more SSDD but probably not until fall/winter. I very much intend to try again.

13 Likes

Day 25

SSDD Bubbashine pheno

Triple Sunshine - A

22 Likes

Ohhhhh… Shit, man, I thought you decided to trash everythiiiiiiiing haha, didn’t realize you were only talking about the male. Oh, man… Fuck me… That’s why I didn’t even respond to your last post, just because I got all bummed out and shit haha. And if I could find that emoji of the dude slapping his forehead, I’d post, like, eight of them right now.

Plants look good! Haha…

12 Likes