Fun with hole diggin

Thank you for all you do here.

I’ve wondered are the myco’s and bacteria fine being in dry form like that? I haven’t messed with them as of yet except for in teas, but you hear alot about not letting good soil and compost dry out. Are they just inactive but still alive?

2 Likes

Ya things like bacteria and fungi just go into a dormancy period and get reactivated once the conditions are right. The bacterial teas we make create a bioslimes ( a protective casing around themselves) to help protect themselves which shows up in our buckets if we don’t keep them clean and are difficult to remove if it builds up and can create problems down the road.

2 Likes

More good info. Thanks much for that.

2 Likes

I went on wheat harvest a couple times when I was younger. There was a farmer who had a field he called the budweiser field. He would stop and piss on it on his way home from the bar. The years I was there it did yield higher. His effort was probably just a drop in the bucket, but it interesting anyhow.

2 Likes

Wow, that guy Jerry Baker was prolific! 68 books listed in Wiki. Found your thread “Homemade gardening potions and elixers” - that will be my morning read, Thanx!

Cheers
G

5 Likes

Hey @Tinytuttle, great read!
Thanx, I book marked that! I didn’t know pee came in at 11-1-2.5(ish).

Cheers
G

3 Likes

You ought to try it! With a full ortho sprayer reservoir and the setting set on 8 (full) I can drain concentrated piss in about 5 min” ! :laughing::laughing:

2 Likes

a half a bag of blood meal is a hell lot of nitrogen to be feeding to a plant.

1 Like

They are not growing as much as I would like to see, but after some topping, the lower stuff is catching up. I should be able to get them good and bushy, keep them low and fat hopefully. I know the neighbors will smell them, but hopefully a little doubt will keep rippers away.

4 Likes

Looks like they are doing ok man. Every plant has a bit of a transition faze. As long as yellow leaves aren’t the new growth your fine. The roots take a week sometimes two to fully “tap in” it’s like trying to connect an old computer to the internet via dual up. The roots have to get connected to the soil network before it takes up nutrients as evidently. Also you should consider a cal/mag supplement red/purple stems could mean its lacking. Maybe the stuff in the soil just isn’t available yet. Look for a water soluble type for quick results if you supplement. Plant will most likely grow outta it after a while but just a thought. Hope your enjoying the grow. Don’t let it get you too worried :v:

2 Likes

I am really enjoying myself. It has been some years. I’m glad to be back in the game. Also glad for new info on teas and other organic methods that in didn’t know about before, and living soil.

Back in the day I thought ff grow big was all Organic. I’m much more well equipped now. It’s gonna work out. I just have to relearn patience and litfa techniques.

4 Likes

Hey Badger. Your plants look great! They really greened up and growing nicley

2 Likes

Thanks. They should be adjusted and ready to really take off soon. The issue is the heat. I know they will never catch your monsters!

I’ll just be glad if I can pull a decent harvest this year. There is always room for improvement, but my soil will be up to the challenge. I hear it just keeps getting better.

2 Likes

they or looking good keep up the good work can not beat the big hid in the sky…

2 Likes

Thank you. I agree, plus my electricity bill hasn’t gone up a bit! It’s impossible to beat the sun. No matter where technology takes lighting, the big hid in the sky will remain number one, especially for the cost.

Once the rest of my soil cooks a bit longer, I will be back at digging. I have at least 2 more holes to go. I’m gonna go find som cal mag today as well.

4 Likes

good luck i know you will do good under the sun a little late to try to grow trees but you will get a harvest i get all of mine in the ground by the first 2 weeks in may. after harvest in fall i amend all of my spots cover with what natural leaves i have in the area so amendment can start to break down in winter plus they or all ready their when thing start to warm up so all i have to bring in is plants in 1 gallon container and a little blood meal and water then they or off to the races peace.

3 Likes

I kinda decided, OK, I’m gonna grow this year. I got to grow vicariously last year when I was working at a greenhouse. Dude didn’t know what he was doing, plus his wife was a real piece of work, so that didn’t last forever. He would not take advice either. I got sick of the chemical taste bud from dispensaries, so here I am. I will plan better next year, for sure.

2 Likes

got to start some where try to add some old forest floor compost to your beds to get native microbes going strong after a few years you will go from growing bushes to growing trees i use alot of cow manure i live on a cattle farm so i have alot of it works great

3 Likes

I have some four legged s$#@ factories in my backyard that I have been getting manure from myself. :rabbit:

I may got to my brother in laws house and see if he has any old leaf piles I can take.

1 Like

i sure he will let you have them then you will have to tote them in what ever it takes to get the organic matter built up as much as possible just add some every year them it will not be so much work @ 1 time. peace.

2 Likes