General use Gardening thread

Thanks man. I can’t wait but at the same time I’m willing.

4 Likes

A family member hooked it up with 20 raspberry plants or volunteers just dug em up and planted them in a row. Made a fence for them looks pretty neat.

11 Likes

Awesome thread!

5 Likes

I’ll take pics this weekend after a bunch of yardwork. I have Valencia oranges, Meyer lemons, Key Limes, Cavendish bananas, Brown Turkey figs, Celeste figs, and passion fruit for edible stuff so far. About 30-40 rose bushes. Palms. Gardenias. Quite a few hibiscus plants. Birds of Paradise. Heliconias. Lillies. Cypress trees. Crepe Myrtles. Hawaiian Ti plants. Magnolia. I think that’s everything so far. I’m about 60% done. Vegetable beds are the last thing and unfortunately won’t be for a year or two probably. I’ll get some tomatoes in pots for next season for sure though. Avocados, mangoes, and some other stuff still to come. Always something to do/buy out there in/for the yard. Cool thread!!

9 Likes

Also some super chili’s

I know weeds smh 🤦

15 Likes

That’s awesome :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Oh yeah, def gonna peruse this thread often

4 Likes

Same here man

3 Likes

Keeping my eye on this thread :tomato::hot_pepper:🫑 :eyes::bulb:

3 Likes

Oh yeah, tea olive plants as well. I have 100 bags of mulch sitting out there for this weekend. Also, need to move a rose and hibiscus standard to a different spot, because the passion fruit is taking off. Shoot, I forgot Arabian jasmine bushes and star jasmine vines are out there already too.

5 Likes

Keep saying this is the weekend I go grab at least one orchid from this place, but I’ve yet to do it. One of these weekends for sure though. Haha

3 Likes

I’m planting a patch of oregano. And mint soon it’s done taken over the pots. I can send oregano seeds if anyone wants them. I am drying a bunch of flowers now.

3 Likes

Mint is so awesome, but be careful if you put it in the ground it will run all over the place. Chamomile is like that too.

7 Likes

Doing that on purpose actually lol. I need it to take over! I need more tea.

4 Likes

I wish lemon verbena would come back every year. I love making tea out of that. It is also a super slept on Culinary herb

3 Likes

I get lucky with mint coming back every year at my dad’s. We started cultivating it year round in tents for tea. Lol

1 Like

Holy crap. You got lots going on. I need tips from you about my two cavendish banana plants…

I also LOVE Myer lemons & key Limes, both hard to get near me.

4 Likes

I didn’t know about this thread, but I love gardening vegetables too – mostly chili peppers. This year I started 9 Scotch Bonnet plants in 5 gallon fabric pots, and 3 Chinese 5 Color plants in 3-gallons.

I’ve harvested well over 100 nicely sized peppers from the Scotch Bonnets alone so far, and many more Chinese 5 Color, with no end in sight yet.

Chinese 5 Color is a beautiful ornamental plant, with pastel Easter-like colors. I let them grow to red, and dry them into crushed red pepper. The fresh peppers have a bland taste with a slight bit of heat similar to cayenne, but a bit bitter. The dried/ground pepper is a good substitute for Italian crushed red pepper though.

The Scotch Bonnets I have been picking when yellow, mostly because I’m impatient, and they have stayed yellow for months. Still pretty spicy, and I can’t use them fast enough, so most of them have been dried too.

So far I have a 16oz mason jar nearly filled with crushed yellow Scotch Bonnet, and a lot less of the Chinese 5 Color, because I use it so often :slight_smile:

No pictures right now, as all my pickings for today are already in the dehydrator, and it’s dark outside :slight_smile:

I’ll follow along in this thread and post more later though!

6 Likes

Love all the pictures! I have a bunch of ideas I want to do to the backyard for a garden. I’ll eventually get around to it lol

I wanna add a bunch of fruits and pollinator friendly plants, after I remove some invasive trees.

5 Likes

I can take some cuttings from this giant Blueberry bush and get them rooting. I also am saving seeds from Old German tomatoes I have

28 Likes