Genotypes/Phenotypes

Can someone explain these two? I’m growing 2 plants of the same variety that someone else is growing and our plants smell and look different. I think it’s the way we are growing the strain. I think it’s because we are using different mediums and lights.
Is this possible and how does it work? which categorie does it fall under and why?

13 Likes

If the two plants are seeds if the same variety, that would be an example of differences in genotype. This is often incorrectly called a phenotype in cannabis.

If the two plants are clones then that would be a difference in phenotypes. And it would be differences in the environment, nutrients, lights, etc.

24 Likes

Never knew that . :thinking:

4 Likes

Genotype is the genetic potential, phenotype is how it actually expresses those genes in a given environment. Chemdog is a great example, take 2 clones and grow them with different lights and media and you get very different finished products.

Generally in cannabis we use phenotype because so many f1 crosses are fairly consistant on making 2 or 3 distinct sub categories of crosses.

Example, you make a cross and you see 3 main progeny, one leaning mom, one leaning dad and one an even blend

13 Likes

That’s what I thought phenotypes were. They are plant that express certain traits by the way they were grown. There environment. Were they hydro, soil, coco… is this fairly accurate in layman’s terms?

4 Likes

I thought this video was helpful but I would love to hear everyone else’s thoughts on it too. The lecture is 30m with a 20m questions section. His explanation is at 1m30s.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Nice! It says what said. I love confirmation.

6 Likes

Its amazing how people wind up with so many different varieties of the same seed just from the way it was grown. I also think there is that one magic seed in there that no matter how it’s grown will grow the best all around. “The right pheno”.

5 Likes

Its really about finding the right genotype for your style of growing to get the right phenotype expression.

3 Likes

Damn! @ReikoX and @anon93244739 dropped a knowledge bomb lol. That changed so much of what I thought I knew

8 Likes

The phenotype is the physical expression of the genotype.

2 Likes

Chemically speaking what changes in the plant grown in different environments to show different phenotypes? Or should I say what is the mechanism in play?

3 Likes

That’s above my pay grade… I suppose it’s genes that are expressed differently with different environments, but I don’t know the mechanism that causes it.

3 Likes

I would have to agree. Different environments would express different genes in the plant, but also above my pay grade. Either way, we know the plant adapts to its environment over time.

I like to grow the same plant multiple different ways to really get a feel for the plant and specific pheno I want to look for in the progeny. Testers and other grows are real nice too, but you can’t beat seeing in person.

I’ve only finished out one plant like that so far, one in dwc and and a clone in soil, and I had a terp reversal between the two plants. The soil grow was also hairier than my dwc run. High was the exact same at least. Just smell and taste were flip-flopped.

4 Likes

Someone on here explained it very well. You take one individual and give him a balanced diet and exercise and he’ll show one phenotype, while a diet of junk food and inactivity will show as a different phenotype. That same set of diet/activity can cause different reactions in different people, so not all genotypes share the same phenotype response. some people remain relatively the same weight, while others gain/loose much more dramatically.

5 Likes

This makes me want to experiment in my flower room since I have an LED and an HPS light. I think I will next round

3 Likes

Perhaps we should have the answer to this in a glossary? or a FAQ? along with a few others like

and some of these terns…

4 Likes

I feel like all 3 of these should be pinned in basic grow section.

1 Like

You forgot Chemotype. Growing a genotype may express a certain phenotype. But chemotype will be dependent on environment.

Here’s an interesting video that explains more.

2 Likes