Hoodini's Phenotype verus Genotype, and what's the difference!

phe·no·type
ˈfēnəˌtīp/Submit
nounBIOLOGY
the set of observable characteristics of an individual resulting from the interaction of its genotype with the environment.

gen·o·type
ˈjenəˌtīp,ˈjēnəˌtīp/Submit
nounBIOLOGY
the genetic constitution of an individual organism.
verb
investigate the genetic constitution of (an individual organism).
“the person appointed will be responsible for maintaining and genotyping many different lines of zebra fish”

Here is a pic of leaves from one of my plants note the way the leaflets form

Its growing symmetrically that way. . .both leaves on either side of the node are the exact same.
Below is a picture of a completely different plant without many similar genetic markers and it’s leaves are growing the same way, you can’t see the symmetry in the pic but i promise it’s there

Look at the leaf in the background too.
This is a PHENOTYPE it is caused by the environment it’s growing in not the genetic code.
Everything else about the plant, size, variety, color, etc is a GENOTYPE!
Sorry wish I could have made a better thread but here it is anyway

5 Likes

Some regular ones i got large leaves and autos i got smaller leaves.

3 Likes

@shroomgod I’m talking about how the middle leaflet on the stem isn’t the biggest leaflet like it normally is

1 Like

I’m guilty of using phenotype when I mean genotype. It’s one of those misinformation things that happened due to prohibition.

So next time I say pheno hunting, ask me what environmental conditions I plan to change and what the expected results are. :grin:

9 Likes

Hahaha I will too hehe naw I’m guilty of it too so I’m just hoping that with my thread we might change the improperness and try to educate the OVERGROW family. . .i mean no rudeness by my post. @ReikoX you could call it the “same colors and leaves and whatnot” and id still listen to every word lol🖒

2 Likes

pheno and geno are quickly becoming the “literally” and “figuratively” of the modern day hobbyist…

but most people here know what someone is saying when they use one or the other…
we’ll come back around…we’re all guilty of it lol

even the breeders haha

5 Likes

It could start with us guys!!

2 Likes

It could but i guarantee me and most will still say pheno instead of geno…

it’s not misinfo per se… just the way things have been said for so long… which is why “literally” is a synonym for figurative and vice versa now… two different things that have one simple idea turned and people can’t grasp it lol

but I feel you @Hoodini… we need to get back on track with terminology…
maybe someone can dedicate time and ingenuity and show hella initiative and write up an “A to Z” terminology thread… wink wink nod nod

3 Likes

Lol let me get right on that. . .I’ll get it made though maybe make it a co op were everyone throws in words and meanings for me to use on this thread and ill compile them and many more to make it. . .bring in community participation because you all know how I am about community!

5 Likes

just remember to credit @ReikoX for “LITFA” hahaha

4 Likes

Don’t worry I give credit were credit is due :grin:
Thanks @ReikoX for my lifetime supply of your formula, it was very generous of you #litfa4life

3 Likes

phenotype example:
space cake 1
same plant different temps
top max was 82 loose airy bud structure, larger bracts
bottom max temp was 75 tighter denser buds, smaller bracts

different genotype: space cake 2

9 Likes

Very nicely shown! And lovely plants

3 Likes

Huh? Wha…? lol …

2 Likes

A beautiful example @Dewb :+1::seedling:

The first two plants are clones grown under different environments (temperature difference) showing different expressions. That is an example of phenotype.

The last picture is the same variety, but a different set of genes. That is an example of genotype.

9 Likes

And here is something else to add to the conversation.

“McPartland was the first researcher to look at the genetic markers on the three subspecies of cannabis using the plant’s genome to conclusively identify where it originated. He also proved conclusively that they are all the same species, just different subspecies. As it turns out, C. sativa should have been identified as C. indica, because it originated in India (hence indica). C. indica should have been identified as C. afghanica, because it actually originated in Afghanistan. Finally, it seems that C. ruderalis is actually what people mean when they refer to C. sativa.” Source The Leaf

tbd

7 Likes

It’s easier for me to remember this way:
Genotype is the total of all the genes in the plant. They can be dominant (trait expressed, seen in the plant), or recessive (trait not seen).
Phenotype is the effect of the genes (tall or short, THC levels, whatever).
But the plant’s genotype is able to respond to nature. The genotype may call for a short plant, but if it doesn’t get enough light, the plant will stretch to try and reach it and will get much taller until it falls over. This probably isn’t the best example, but there it is.

3 Likes

Potatoes potatatas lol :ok_hand::wink:

1 Like

I use a simple binary system. Genotype is the potential, Phenotype is the “effective”.

3 Likes