Getting older

I’m on my mid 50s @MrG and used to smoke rollups all day and then would add some greenery to those rollups in the evenings. I went through hell to give up tobacco so now I would decline a passed J just to avoid any potential tobacco. I’ve also fallen foul of a few ridiculously strong spliffs in the past rendering me not very sociable.

I’d never heard of carts before this thread. I’ve used a ProtoPipe or some sort of one hitter (bud-bomb etc) for the last few years but got a dry herb vaporiser a few weeks ago. I love it. No more smokey mouth or breath the next morning, it’s like inhaling fruity air. I find the high a lot clearer too, it’s up and creative with a lot less mongey couch lock which is what I like.

8 Likes

We have a Terp Hammer that we use with our bongs. It’s a dry herb vape and can be used w/concentrates if that’s what floats your boat. The vapor is just incredible coming off it and no matter what you put in it, incredibleness ensues.
That being said, while we do really like the high, it’s lacking something. The high is much clearer than smoking but sometimes the muddiness from smoking is just what the doctor ordered.

9 Likes

My dearest friend @mota . Yes, it is very true that many years ago all children made and ate mud pies. It is now thought that those mud pies gave us many bacteria that strengthened our microbiome. Could be why so many young people today seem fragile.
Also, I lived in Arizona for a time and I have eaten Peyote on several occasions. It tastes like shit but after you puke ( and trust me everyone pukes when they eat peyote) it is a wonderous experience ( but it still tastes like shit :rofl:) .
As a “gross hippie” myself I must admit that I am both dirty and groovy all at the same time. Hippie girls are fantastic lovers. :rainbow:

P. S. Have a wonderful time at the OG meet up.

11 Likes

I’m 67, so I’m an OLD DUDE! I just want to add, from my perspective NOTHING beats the experience of smoking or vaping flower…NOTHING! And smoking beats out vaping as well. I’ve tried it all and the only thing I keep coming back to is the flower. There is always something (or more than just one “something”) missing from concentrates with the exception of hash. Y’all kids can keep your vapes and other forms of concentrates…homegrown flower and hash is what I’m sticking with and if you don’t want to share it with me…great, more for me! Y’all can get on down the ramp, I don’t need ya around anyhow. Just like Southern Man don’t need Neil Young.

9 Likes

True that somethings changes over time, and I cannot relate because I’m a lonely smoker and grower, there isn’t any circle with me. Occasionally a friend pop up and if 8s a friend that stopped smoking I roll one for me and a lighter spliff for my friend, if it is a every now and then smoker and tolerate we smoke the same like we used to.
New generations with new inventions trying to recreate what nature already gives us, nothing against vaping or rosins but flower while I can.

Still the best way, less efford and more natural.

I saw a video about some fancy joints over 4 digits with several plants and rosin points on crust, fancy expensive innovation that don’t appeal me.

About getting older, we have less and less friends and we Don’t do enterviews for more, nowadays its always running no time to socialize. Family, kids, work, garden, I ended up alone and I like it. Very select group of friends suits me very well despite sometimes I would like to have someone to hang and just enjoy some weed and music.

But that’s me, and I’m happy not to be with younger potheads, or I could be disappointed.

6 Likes

That’s one of the reasons I prefer burning flower. The high is simply not the same, whether you’re smoking hash (which I love), vaping whatever, eating weed, etc. For me, it lacks the fullness of the experience of just weed (and by that I mean plain flower). It’s not that those other things are bad, they’re simply lacking for me. I suppose after smoking weed for nearly 60 years, I’ve become accustomed to the fullness of the experience.

11 Likes

THIS ^^^^
It’s all about the combining effects of everything the flower has to offer, not just the concentrated THC. I want the REAL high and everything that goes with it. NOTHIING, no matter how “perfect” the process is, gives the same experience.

8 Likes

Well of course not, you’re an old fuck like me (I’m 74). :+1: It’s what we came up burning!

7 Likes

Yes sir and I will never give that up! :grin:

3 Likes

Damn tootin’! Now,

Where’s that fucking bong? All this talk about burning weed has me yearning…

8 Likes

Yeah, we do flower 99% of the time. We forget about our vapes around here. We don’t have pens but do have a couple different types of dry herb vapes.
I keep about 10-15 joints rolled up all the time of different flavours in the fridge so we can just grab we want. She prefers Mac’s and I prefer Chem’s and then we keep a couple different kinds of skunk around because we both dig that.

6 Likes

You can grow anything anywhere if you prep for it lol.

All my tropical are outside end of May through mid September and then they get cleaned up and take over my window areas in winter with supplemental lighting.

This is also how I have both white and red grapefruit trees, Mandarin Orange, and Makruk lemon trees, bay laurel… etc… it’s a LONG list of curated plant friends :grin:

There’s a strategy and skill in doing this: palm the cherry at all times, “scratch your nose” = taking a hit; exhale downwards “checking your shoes”, and keep on moving in the crowd.

I’ve never been caught and the one time security came right up to me I had already ghosted the smoke due to their flashlights and then called them out LOUDLY on profiling me for my 3ft dreads… they backed off freaking out being called racist in front of a mixed bag of metal heads at a doom metal show. :rofl: :+1:

More accurate @mota , good call! :heart: :cactus:

9 Likes

Counter-point: using a dry herb vaporizer filled with flower can get the “real” high with everything that goes with it, minus a good portion of the negative impact from combustion. Using a dry herb vaporizer allows me to choose the temperature range(s), so I can go low (350-360F) to do “mostly THC” or go all the way up to 440F+ and get the full range to induce a couch-locked stupor.

I’ve been using this as my primary way of consuming cannabis since 2008.

With this style of vaporizer I can use half the amount of weed to get noticeably higher than I would from smoking. It does have a slightly “cleaner” feeling, less “muddy” and I get that some people like the muddiness. To me the muddy feeling from smoking is usually a negative, along with the scratchy throat and a few other consequences of burning herb. That said, I still love rolling a fat joint at least a couple times per month.

Part of the problem is that “vaping” doesn’t mean the same thing to the younger crowd. Most of them are talking about resin carts. I have a few carts for when I’m on the go and need to be discreet but they aren’t the same as full spectrum flower (even if the carts are a “live resin” or “full spectrum extract” it isn’t the same to me).

11 Likes

Tried a dry herb vape for the first time a few days ago! Life changing honestly. The taste was so clear and it was way gentler than any dispo vape I tried. I recommend it to anyone

7 Likes

You’re right of course. “Burning” anything will release chemicals that are best not introduced into the body.

In addition to my various pipes and bongs I have an Arizer AirMAX that I use everyday. It’s wonderful but it is still just not the same.

Gotta wonder if the carcinogens in smoke provide an entourage effect too…LOL

6 Likes

I agree. I had a Volcano and have tried a couple of “pocket” dry herb vaporizers. I think for me it’s really about the flavor. Vaporizers don’t provide the full flavor component that actually burning weed does. I do remember that, particularly the Volcano, was a nice high. Again, I think perhaps I simply missed that full flavor. Perhaps I should try to get over the whole full flavor issue and give a more modern portable dry herb vaporizer a try again.

7 Likes

Where is this shit? What is this shit? How does one obtain this shit, either in seed or clone form? Do I have to make friends with “old timers” some place like here or on some forum?

I barely like the shit I grow myself, partly due to being a novice maybe, but also due to the varieties I think? I don’t particularly like most of this “candy” stuff. Sour uncle larrys purple mint cookies breath, or whatever. I want old school stuff that provides a clear headed, usually energetic, uplifting high. Where is it?

And I agree with most of you about the dispensary, “legal” garbage, vaping plastic, glues and pesticides. I’ve had it, in a pinch, and it’s absolute trash. Poison.

I find it hard to smoke flower now though, respiratory issues.

Edit: I should mention that I’m currently flowering something that is a known cut of something, for the first time, and not just a seed I got from some brand/breeder seed pack. For whatever that’s worth. It looks pretty damn good, and it’s almost done.

11 Likes

See, this is one of the points where you & I will respectfully disagree :smiley:

To me the dry herb vape always seems to bring out a ton of flavor, whereas when I use a flame to smoke herb I think that the flavor is getting half destroyed! Although there is this sort of “tang” that only seems to come from smoking - I’ve gotten close to replicating it by turning the Volcano up to temps above 420F, even maxing out at 446F.

I read some hype about using “hemp wicks” to increase the flavor of smoking, instead of using a lighter. Supposedly the lighters give off a slight flavor change from the fuel that is burning? I don’t know if it’s true. The theory is that you use the lighter to burn the hemp wick, like a candle, then use the flame from the hemp wick to light your joint/bong/pipe/whatever. I’ve tried it a few times. Still just tastes like smoke, and my wife agrees! :laughing:

7 Likes

Hey man. Use the search function at the top of the page and search for the “freakers”. They grow landraces. I think that is what you are looking for.

Edit- look up @JohnnyPotseed . He has some genetics that will put your dick in the dirt. :rofl: :rainbow:

5 Likes

Hey @mota . Smoke what you want. You are 74 and if pot hasnt killed you by now, it aint going too ! :rofl:

7 Likes