GramTorino Garage

@Pigeonman
Just below the net pot is where seems best while waiting for roots to emerge and drop from the netpot.
(Only 1 quart of nutes in res for my net pots.)

Early on, I filled a few more but it oversaturated the coco media, leading to no root development thru netpot. Also - used Recharge once that seemed to F the starter roots.

Less issues with layer deployed plants in HP Promix. No Recharge applied.

I’m ready to start filling them with more nutes. Starting to do that today for the plants with most developed root system in res. Fun and stress. Lol

Too much Wicking!
Could be that Hydroton is ideal for the net pot level on these octopups. Then Promix for media. If memory serves another grower is using Hydroton.

Great idea with glue gun. Also considered painting them with liquid electrical tape. Hopefully the stainless screws are problem free uncoated.

6 Likes

Love it GT , looking forward to hearing and learning more : )

2 Likes

I second that! I’m already looking for the same pots :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I had to make it more difficult using new grow method…different media. But at least I get to learn and you all get to watch and laugh at my goofs. In a good bust balls way. :wink:

Green Ale kicking ass.

10 Likes

For sure over a bit at 90 days. But that’s because I chopped everything at once based on the whole group.
And, my bitch barely had frost. I don’t even smoke it!

2 Likes

Found it…

@firehead used Hydroton

5 Likes

Thanks so much @GramTorino !

I’m setting up my MEGAPOT system and it’s using a 10" net pot under a 5gal air-pot. I’m not worried about too much saturation BUT could drain the tub via excessive wicking effect. :thinking: :laughing:

I’ll be using Hydroton IN the net pot, with ProMixBX in the air-pot.

2 Likes

Sweet. Sounds like mega-FUN.
I’ll keep an eye out for the mega tree.

2 Likes

This is either gonna work well; or suck hard! I overbuilt this fallponics/octopot thing for Mexican Death Sativa; aka: 14weeks flower time; don’t want to have to deal with that much hand watering! :laughing:

16 Likes

Love the idea! My question is will the top support 5 gal of media and a mature plant?

3 Likes

Found out this solution grade gypsum dissolves much better in hot water.

About 3 minutes of mixing.

Kinda Hot tap. Will try hotter.

Cold RO - settles out after only a couple minutes.

Edit. More info.

Max PPM.
“At 20C (68F), calcium sulfate dihydrate – the form most commonly available – has a solubility of around 2.4 g/L. In practice this means that you can have up to around 550 ppm of Ca in solution from calcium sulfate dihydrate before you observe any precipitation happening. This is way more than the normal 150-250 ppm of Ca that are used in final hydroponic nutrient solutions that are fed to plants. You could supply the entire plant requirement for calcium using calcium sulfate without ever observing any precipitate in solution.”

Slow to dissolve…
“A key consideration with calcium sulfate is also that its dissolution kinetics are slow. It takes a significant amount of time for a given amount of calcium sulfate to dissolve in water, even if the thermodynamics favor the dissolution of the salt at the temperature your water is at. For this reason it is very important to only use calcium sulfate sources that are extremely fine and are graded for irrigation. This is sometimes known as “solution grade” gypsum. I advice you get a small amount of the gypsum source you want to use and test how long it takes to dissolve 0.05g in one liter of water. This will give you an idea of how long you will need to wait to dissolve the calcium sulfate at the intended temperature. Constant agitation helps with this process.”

10 Likes

It’s a stackable tote that’s rated for a lot of poundage so… yes? :rofl:
Edit: Double checked and it’s rated to support up to 400lbs… so yeah it’s gonna be fine :laughing: :laughing:

@GramTorino ; i have a microwave in my mixing room to warm up filtered water for reasons just like your gypsum!

6 Likes

Microwave in the grow space ? I couldn’t have that I’d never leave pizza pops and soup while visiting the plants next your gonna tell me you got a blanket and pillow for afternoon naps.

8 Likes

14 Likes

Mixing room!

It’s a basement kitchen I used as my darkroom. Now all the darkroom stuff is used for hydroponics :laughing:

My partner knits and crochets stuff for our plants all the time! No pillows though.

5 Likes

finally found this thread back in my rotation! things picking up my coco prediction was wrong i thought it was going to lead the pack lol. that room is going to get packed fast love it!

when are you flipping to 12 12 ?

5 Likes

kinda scared to ask… like what do plants wear??

4 Likes

Ok now I need to know what do plants ware

I know they live rockin blues lol :joy:

4 Likes

Pineapple juice plus sippy cup.

10 Likes

Don’t ya mean pineapple slices in alcohol sippy cup?

And either yer starting them drinking too young, or you’re regressing as you age and need the sippy. Which is it? :rofl:

5 Likes