Grateful Dead/JGB Tape Traders Forum

GarciaLive #8 is another from his later years. I attended that show which was the middle of my three night run in November '91 (Chicago, Milwaukee, Minneapolis). It was definitely the highlight of the three.

10 Likes

Squeezed this one in during some watering today :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Good call on the anniversary show! The night before was also incredible.

Yesterday I downloaded Kezar Stadium 5/26/73 as my only copy was on CD. Definitely one of their all time great shows.

New Riders and Waylon Jennings also performed.

Set One
Promised Land
Deal
Jack Straw
Tennessee Jed
The Race Is On
Sugaree
Mexicali Blues
Row Jimmy
Looks Like Rain
They Love Each Other
Playing in the Band

Set Two
Here Comes Sunshine
El Paso
Loser
Beat it on Down the Line
You Ainā€™t Woman Enough
Box of Rain
China Cat Sunflower
I Know You Rider
Big River
Bertha
Around and Around

Set Three
Mississippi Half-Step
Me and My Uncle
Heā€™s Gone
Truckinā€™
The Other One
Eyes of the World
China Doll
Sugar Magnolia
E: Casey Jones

10 Likes

Awesome call, some serious shit right there !

4 Likes

Just before they went all disco dan on us :wink:
slow and steady
add volume

this one is cool cuz itā€™s a live video, not just a steal your face or smile to look at :wink: - almost mesmerizing

6 Likes

Philā€™s pupils, shit-eating-grin, and headband steal the show!

5 Likes

Dude, fuggetaboudit :star_struck:

Jerry once said in an interview, something to the effect of: Phil sometimes just plays one long song for the whole show, his own song, not just plugging the notes from each song, just cruising thru the show on some wacky magic carpet;)

Nice job Phil!!! Itā€™s good work, if you can get in the door;)

4 Likes

Lol yā€™all are reminding of an excerpt I read from Philā€™s book, Searching for the Sound.

I donā€™t remember all the details but Phil talked about being too dosed to play and it was like he forgot how to play bass guitar etc

Unless Iā€™m mixing things up, it was Mickey Hart who helped him on stage and start playing with the band.

2 Likes

This happened alot to ā€˜doseā€™ bands. Not so much anymore;)

We met Paige behind Stony Brook College Gymnasium in the very early 90ā€™s. A gym with the old style wooden stands, that pulled out from the wall. You basically had 6 inches of wood to jump up and down on, but i digressā€¦

He sat under the tree we had chosen to ride out our ā€˜tripā€™, and rode out his trip with us. He said, tre, mike, jon, and him ate the bean on the first note of the show. :))))))))))))))))

They couldnt drive home, nor could we - but the pine tree was a very safe place.

Tremendously good time, check out the show on Relisten. Surprisingly excellent sound. The place was so small there was nowhere for the vibrations to escape.
PHISH, SATURDAY 11/21/1992

PRITCHARD GYM, SB SPORTS COMPLEX, SUNY STONY BROOK

Stony Brook, NY

SET 1: The Landlady > Runaway Jim, Foam, Glide, Poor Heart > Itā€™s Ice > Bouncing Around the Room, Maze, Colonel Forbinā€™s Ascent > Fly Famous Mockingbird > Possum[1]

SET 2: Carolina[2], The Curtain > Mikeā€™s Song > I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove, The Horse > Silent in the Morning, Uncle Pen > Guelah Papyrus, The Squirming Coil, Hold Your Head Up > Love You > Hold Your Head Up > Take the ā€˜Aā€™ Train, Llama ā†’ Big Ball Jam > Llama

ENCORE: Buffalo Bill[3], Big Black Furry Creature from Mars

[1] Simpsons and All Fall Down signals.
[2] Without microphones.
[3] Debut; Fish on washboard.

Possum contained Simpsons and All Fall Down signals and a Fire (Ohio Players) tease from Trey. Carolina was performed without microphones. During the pause in Guelah, Trey introduced Amy Skelton as ā€œthe newest member of the Phish crewā€ and plugged the new J. Willis Pratt tape that Fish had produced, as well as the Greenpeace table. This show featured the debut of Buffalo Bill, which included a washboard solo from Fish. Before Buffalo Bill, Trey and Page offered an explanation of the Big Ball Jam.

6 Likes

Awesome story man thatā€™s very cool! @Cartwright I know a lot of deadheads arenā€™t too keen on Phishā€¦

But that doesnā€™t affect my opinion of them musically and, of course, take away from shows Iā€™ve been to, and just loving the music and the memories I have attached to it.

I have a buddy who bumped into Trey after a show at MSG he said he was very down to earth cool guy humble not egotistical or bigheaded like some successful musicians are.

I will be a Phan for life.

But, I did discover the dead first, and have more memories tied to them, and their music.

But definitely Phish and their music are a huge part of my life and certainly never will be forgotten!

Last show I was at was last year, I was buzzed off my ass and tripping great on some mushrooms my aunt shared with me.

Moma dance was so good! Love the funk feel to it, as a guitarist I will always appreciate Treys playful explorative style.

I even have a trey guitar myself!

4 Likes

This tape got a lot of play back in the day!

6 Likes

Not Grateful Dead, but I love anything Jerry was a part of. Hereā€™s a show you donā€™t hear very often.

Jerryā€™s on banjo!!

Donā€™t know how bluegrass sits with yā€™all but itā€™ll always have a place in my heart and ears. Pretty influential to me musically, and of course I also very much just enjoy listening to the music besides looking at it from a bit of a musicians standpoint, as I was exposed to bluegrass a good while back probably in my teens.

Hearing this makes me want to try some more banjo. I never got very familiar with it I just learned a few basics, but as a guitar player I should be able to figure it out, just like other string instruments, they are not that impossible to learn once you get one down.

Have a great Sunday morning everyone, peace!

7 Likes

So itā€™s been a little over a year since we started this thread yall and here we find ourselves again. Actually a day late, but better late than neverā€¦

8 Likes

Fucking Beautiful. :pray::v::sunglasses:

Thank you @CrunchBerries ! NEVER MISS A SUNDAY SHOW? :man_shrugging:

Love & Light, All!

ā˜†DJSF

6 Likes
6 Likes

*Pretty Stuff :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

I had a request for my recording of this show and figured that while Iā€™m at it, Iā€™d post the link here for anyone interested. This show is in my Top 10 of all time! So much great musicianship, playing those great songsā€¦

This is one of the first half dozen performances by the initial lineup of Jazz Is Dead:
Billy Cobham drums from Miles Davis and Mahavishnu Orchestra
Alphonso Johnson bass from Weather Report
Jimmy Herring guitar from so many bands! Aquarium Rescue Unit, Allman Brothers The Dead, Widespread Panic, etc.
T. Lavitz keys from Dixie Dregs

Merl Saunders opened the show and sat in during Dark Star.
This gig also features a sit-in by Eric Leeds - Princeā€™s main sax player - on a couple of tunes.

This link points to the WeTransfer file sharing site. Iā€™m using their free service so the link is valid for one week only!

The link will download a .ZIP file that contains a folder with all the mp3 files, a text file with all the pertinent info, and a PDF of the bandā€™s press kit. I was able to snag a hard copy and scan it in.
01 jam> Help On The Way
02 Slipknot!
03 Franklinā€™s Tower
04 Crazy Fingers
05 Unbroken Chain
06 China Doll *
07 Friend Of The Devil *
08 King Solomonā€™s Marbles
09 Drumz
10 Blues For Allah
11 Bass solo
12 Jam
13 Scarlet Begonias
14 Red Baron **
15 Dark Star ***
16 Happy Birthday to Jimmy Herring

8 Likes

I had totally forgotten about wetransfer. Havenā€™t used it in years. Thank you so much, @BarefootAndBlazed, for the show and the reminder! I hadnā€™t used it since I quit trading music.

2 Likes

While WeTransfer is on my mind, hereā€™s that 5/26/73 Kezar Stadium show I mentioned a week ago. For those who donā€™t want to rely on a streaming connection to listenā€¦

Thatā€™s in mp3 format. Link is good for one week only.

7 Likes

In case no oneā€™s noticed, this was uploaded recently. Todays date in ā€˜87 so itā€™s 36 years old today.

Love the opening of cats down under the stars!

Peace!

6 Likes