Grateful Dead/JGB Tape Traders Forum

That looks old school @Pawsfodocaws, I imagine the tent that was purchased at in shakedown st :rofl:

5 Likes

It’s old. Handmade too, acquired from an early dead show…

5 Likes

Man! I’ve always wanted to see a show at the Orpheum! Is it still there?

5 Likes

I moved away from Minnesota in 2001 so it’s been a while. I just Googled it and apparently it’s still around! I think I only went there twice: the Bob & Rob “Scaring the Children” show from the stub above, and I caught Crosby, Stills & Nash in '97.

Some weird shit went down at this show:

I was living in Albuquerque at the time (I left MN for 2.5 years, then moved back), but my friend from Minnesota had moved to Phoenix so we trekked over to visit her and see the show. My buddy worked for Ticketmaster and hooked me up. He said I could get within a few rows of the stage but off to the side, or 10th row dead center. I opted for the latter.

The show started quite late. It looked like Jerry was having problems with his rig, spending a bunch of time futzing with knobs. They played 5 rather unenthusiastic songs then took a set break. The break stretched to 30 minutes, then 45 minutes. Around the 55 minute mark they lined the front of the stage with security guards and made the announcement that Jerry “wasn’t feeling well” and the rest of the show wasn’t going to happen. To appease the crowd they told everyone that the gig would be rescheduled and to keep your stubs - but the next day they announced they would give refunds instead. I got to keep my stub AND get my money back thanks to my Ticketmaster friend.

I just tried to look up which one, but one of those Dead bio books tells the story of this night. It sounds like both Jerry and John Kahn were having health issues related to their dope habits. If you believe the book, they were rushed from the AZ venue, put on a plane back to California, and had medics on stand-by upon arrival…

Anyway, that puts my total of JGB shows attended at three and a half :slight_smile:

FWIW, we also saw the three night run that the Dead played at the same venue a couple months before (March 4, 5, 6). Those were fun shows and I finally caught the Stagger Lee I had been chasing.

4 Likes

Hidden Gems:

My old bus and a flyer from the Bulldog in 96’

That time I met Donna Jean and Ken Kesey. I actually met him twice in my life. Once at a Phish show in 98 and another time at the OCF in like 98 or 99-00. Fuzzy on dates! And my first dead related show.
My stubs:

15 Likes

It’s great to see a stash of cassettes! It prompted me to swivel in my office chair and snap this pic:

Lots of Dead stuff on those shelves, including cassettes in the lower right.

9 Likes

I had a roommate turn me on to the Dead-

Was still in shock with it all, didn’t make it into this show, but it sounded most excellent from outside…

Something about that Berkeley venue, had a natural reverb-

5 Likes

Hell yeah-

I called that hotline with my high tech wall mounted phone…

It had a 20 foot long coiled cord, with the dial conveniently located right in the handset
(So you could call someone else without getting up and walking back to the base)

4 Likes

Brent was on fire-

Kinda sparked up the rest of the boys…

6 Likes

Couldn’t be more on time for my afternoon break :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Spun on ‘71 :call_me_hand:

4 Likes

I want to live inside this picture. Sick collection of weed and tapes, what more could a deadhead possibly want??

9 Likes

A vial of Owsley? :man_shrugging::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

7 Likes

6/10/73, always loved this tape with a few of the Allman’s Bros and Merl, but it sounds soooo much better today, all remastered and whatnot, rockin ‘mama’ now

5 Likes

Sunday Service. The Knockin is one of my favorites! Enjoy!

3 Likes

If we’re keeping Sundays holy how bout this

Jeff Austin Band and the Traveling McCourys doing Althea :call_me_hand:

5 Likes

Hey now-

I’m just hear for the music…
:innocent:

3 Likes
4 Likes

Just heard the Bob Weir and the Wolf Bros ‘Hard Rain gonna Fall’ on sirius, dig it man!
It has a great echoy quality to it, was that recorded at RedRocks? does anyone know?
Did not say in the description.

4 Likes

Bruce was fantastic, and Buckeye was fun-

I camped in mud the year before, when Steve Miller opened, and my mail order tickets got stolen by a hitchhiker…

Still had a blast listening to the show from the cheap seats (parking lot)-

Start at 33 minutes, to hear Phil sing something other than “Box of Rain”…

5 Likes