Grateful Dead/JGB Tape Traders Forum

Bruce is a good ole Virginia boy! He definitely has the spirit! Hampton came alive on this night in the mothership! This is one of those if I had a time machine shows. He has quite the interesting story about his first GD show with his parents. BBBBBBRRRRUUUUUCCCEEE!

5 Likes

Hampton is magic!

3 Likes

good tape, couldnt make the show. enoyed the Starlight Amp tape too.

3 Likes

was there for this one, good time was had by almost all. some folks will just never learn :wink:

nothing like a Casey Jones to get the night going…

5 Likes

little young for this one, quality tape tho

6 Likes

Buckeye and Deer Creek were always on the top of my list to see the Dead, sadly never made it to either.

4 Likes

I never saw the Dead there, but my first visit to Deer Creek was a triple bill of Govt Mule, Phil Lesh & Friends, and the Allman Brothers Band (6/29/02). Warren Haynes played in all three bands. He was on stage for six hours!!!

One of my favorite musical “sandwiches”:
Playin’ In The Band>
Uncle John’s Band>
Morning Dew>
Uncle John’s Band>
Playin’ In The Band

6 Likes

Love a good PUMUP!

3 Likes

Steve Miller Band opened, and he comes out after Space to sit in on Spoonful> Other One> Morning Dew. He also plays on the encore which is a tasty combo of covers from The Beatles and The Who: Baba O’Riley> Tomorrow Never Knows. Definitely one of the better shows I ever saw. You know you’re in for a good time when they open with Help> Slipknot!> Franklin’s Tower!

8 Likes

Nice one! SMB at Strawberry Hill was the first concert I went to back in the day, good memories!
We got so F’d up we got on the highway going the wrong direction home and were an hour into NC before we noticed LOL

4 Likes

remember this one well, jus’ a coupla beers on the ride in, then into the show. first eyes opener i believe

4 Likes

6/6/92, Rich Stadium

this one was hot as hell, and the floor was packed beyond, resulting in the ‘take a step back’ jam, most talking i ever heard them do onstage.

the wave ran around the stadium the entire setbreak, and i had a shitty mushroom trip :frowning:

quality tape for sure, and bobby even came out with the sunglasses on 2nd sehttps://youtu.be/uOrWZq3lAQEt :open_mouth:

4 Likes

Ok I know this isn’t tape trading, but it is Dead related and I’ve gotta ask…
Where do y’all stand on Dead&Co?

Personally I have tried and tried to like em, but can’t seem to do it. The pickle on top of the shit sandwich for me is JM. I’m sure I’m missing some good jams at times, but not worth the pain of having to sit thru the whole experience. How do you guys feel? And if you are a fan, are there any specific dates and/or tracks that I should check out?
P.S memes were borrowed from IG and cropped. I think the memes would have said it all but figured I’d elaborate

4 Likes

If there was only one show I had to listen to for the rest of my life, this would be very high on the list.

Grateful Dead - Huntington, WV April 16th, 1978

Majestic perfection, Donna is even in tune. :wink: So many potential best-ever versions in this show, it’s mind blowing. The hottest of the hot though is the Estimated > Eyes, soaring brilliance into a bubbling spring symphony. Bring reinforcements.

4 Likes

I’m with you, sort of. I can’t really listen to them on the radio, falls flat for sure. But the one show I can listen to is the show I attended. I was very apprehensive about it, you can ask @CrunchBerries , I am no fan of JM that is for sure.
So my question to you would be, have you seen them live? It blew me away, I was not expecting someone like JM to be aware of the nuances it would take to get me and so many others through a hero dose journey, but he/they did with flying colors.
Again, the only show I can stomach is that ONE show and I would actually like others opinion on it, it is 11-8-19 from Hampton.
Take a listen, again maybe it’s just cause I was there, or maybe it’s actually a good show? 🤷🏼

I do love that Meme and some Billy Strings:)

5 Likes

I’ve caught Dead & Co three times. The first was when they first toured in 2015. I taped that one and have had over 38,000 people listen to my recording: 11/20/2015 in St. Louis
I was shocked how slow everything was! It sucked the life out of the tunes and I really didn’t enjoy it. John Mayer has talent but had not yet gelled with the band.

Fast forward to last year. I saw them in early September in St. Louis, then again at Chula Vista in late October since I traveled to California (to party while my gf attended a work conference!). I actually enjoyed these shows. I thought what Mayer was doing was great. I’m still mad at Bobby for playing everything so slow, but I realized that Mayer can solo nicely over those slow blues songs, like It Hurts Me Too

I don’t think I’d pay the stupid ticket prices to see them again. Give me JRAD any day!

3 Likes

I have not seen em live, so that may be a factor. But I too think everything is too slow for my liking. Some stuff’s meant to be played slow, but mostly I want to see that spark and feel the energy. Anybody catch Bobby&Wolf Bros w/Billy Strings and Les Claypool the other night?

4 Likes

I have seen them live, indoors. Good set list and decent energy from the band. That was the dunk, big place. Phil and phriends at Lupo’s, was a far groovier experience.

2 Likes

here’s another for you all. 10/31/1993, i mean it’s not 1973, but he was pretty tight this night. my friends and i talked about the shining star for weeks :wink:

4 Likes

Where was this show? Brendan Byrne arena?

3 Likes