Grateful Dead/JGB Tape Traders Forum

7 Likes

And the rest of the afternoon to you!:us:

6 Likes
6 Likes

Thanks brother. Looks like I got the afternoon, the evening and the wee hours of the morning too. lol

1 Like
8 Likes

Nice! I recently picked up a tee with an Egypt tour design

I wore it to a Molly Tuttle show. She bantered a bit about seeing Dead shirts in the crowd, then played a cover

8 Likes

That outro!!

8 Likes

Happy hump day :camel:

7 Likes

This is an uplifting set ā€¦if you need a pick-me-up!

9 Likes

Late nite bluesā€¦

8 Likes

Iā€™m not sure how I never saw this thread before. The GD shaped my life early, and still do. I saw my first 3 shows 12/15, 16, 17/1986 and did a handful over 100 shows.

I recorded my first concert at Shoreline on 10/3/1987 and have been recording live music since. I also recorded shows off the radio back then but never knew people traded the tapes until my sisterā€™s graduation from UCLA in 1989. She introduced me to a dude there that had a wall rack full of tapes. That weekend he gave me Cornell, Swing Auditorium, and GAMH 1975. I was hooked. I traded cassettes and DATs from 1989-1999 and then moved on to CDs.

Growing up in the SF Bay Area I was blessed to be pulled into small circles of the taping elite. Like Nube said, people that acted like they were above everyone else, so I played as big of a role as I could in leaking tapes to the masses without getting caught. I have a huge live GD and JGB collection. More than most should have probably. Iā€™m hooked on live music like I am growing weed.

Iā€™ll offer up here what I normally offer up to friends that have interest. If you want my SHN and FLAC files you can have them. Just send me a hard drive and pay for return shipping and Iā€™ll give you more fucking music than you can listen to in a lifetime.

10 Likes

Good on ya @SCJedi,
I appreciate anyone who freely shares music.
Never liked the bootleggers only in it for the money.

I have been taping and trading and sharing since the seventies.
Got way too many live concert files. lol
Lots of masters, aud and sbd files from 1978 on.
Was part of the crew that videotaped GD in Boston and Providence
1979, 1980 and 1981. Donā€™t ask me where those tapes might be.
Probably gave them to someone to rework. lol

Soā€¦I am very pleased to see someone continue to share with anybody interested.
One of many reasons I love OG, same vibe, same good intentions.
Right on brother!

9 Likes

Fun fact: I am also a taper who records live concert audio and I met @SCJedi at a music festival in the taper section!

That was in late June, 2012. It was hot as fuck that weekend, but the campground was next to a river. Youā€™d spend all day in the shade or the water, then move to the stages after the sun went down. We never discussed growing cannabis at the time.

My microphones havenā€™t seen a lot of use this year.
I recorded String Cheese Incident back in April, and I caught four local bands at a small fest a couple months ago. Iā€™ve been enjoying music without bringing my gear more and more.

9 Likes

Good to hear folks are still out there archiving live performances.
I had the taping bug Bad for a while.
Did not want to go to a show unless I could record. lol
Too old to be lugging gear around now with any regularity especially
since I got the video bug.
Three Sony PMW EX3 XDCAMs, tripods, batteries, microphones, etc., etc.
Load in, load out. lol

I have not recorded a show for nearly a decade other than a few local musicians by request.
(My son can hold his own in the Jazz scenes anywhere on the guitar so occasionally I get
to record his gigs if he helps with the shlepping. lol).

Did many a video recording in the Greater Beantown area for a decade or so as I attempted
to archive the Jazz, Classical, Ethnic and Jazz/Classical Avante Garde scene around Inman Square
and at many of the music schools too.
Lots of fun and met many fine people too.

I still feel naked without the gear. Sick F""k I be.

7 Likes

Thanks yā€™all!!

8 Likes

You let us know if you ever track down your masters. There are small armies of audio geeks that will transfer those all and do it right!

6 Likes

Facts. That was a hot ass weekend in southeastern Missouri. I seem to recall that was one of the first times I ever saw that Travellinā€™ McCourys play. I never recorded YMSB again ager Ben kicked over my mic stand. The house guy saw what happened and snuck me a board patch so when I shared my recording I mixed it in. LOL

Nope, we never discussed weed there but I was growing. I would not even let my co-worker next-door neighbors who were friends into my house. My front room had NO furniture in it so folks would feel unwelcome. I had driven my UW cutting from California to Missouri in a hollowed out dresser that had battery operated fluorescent lamps in it. Man, that was a killer cut.

I have never really been able to see a show without recording it. I have even recorded concerts my wife said were ā€œdate nightsā€. She didnā€™t need to know that was a recorder in my shirt pocket! I get out a few times a months still and will record anything but mostly target bluegrass and gangster rap these days.

I went to GD50 in Santa Clara and cried it all out. I closed the GD book in my life and walked away from live shows but am still embedded in the live recordings and scholarly GD stuff. The only GD-related show I have seen since was JRAD at the frost a couple of summers ago since my big sis bought me tix for my birthday.

6 Likes

Thanks. I am well aware of CM and associated folks.
When I am able to find a new home, Iā€™ll start sorting that stuff out.

I have five nights of Sun Ra Arkestra boards from Cambridge, MA.
I know folks are waiting for me to share but, although I have
permission from Sun Ra himself, I promised Marshall Allen
not to release until he retires. He will be 100 years young May 25, 2024.
Hope he lives another 100 healthy years. The man can still blow that horn ! ! !
The Arkestra is a National/World Treasure, imho. If they are ever near your location,
try to see them. A wonderful show.

6 Likes

Good morning OGers and Deadheads! Happy Friday to all.

8 Likes

Morning duder and happy Friday!

7 Likes