Grateful Dead/JGB Tape Traders Forum

HBD, indeed! Phil is the only member of the band I’ve “met” in person. He wrote his autobiography a number of years back, then went on a book signing tour. I got to shake his hand and have him sign my copy. It probably lasted all of 30 seconds, but I was elated.

6 Likes

Looks like I’ll be seeing Phil & Friends in August, along with JRAD!!!

Announcement was this morning. Tickets go on sale Monday. I’ve already submitted my time off request from work and booked a hotel.

I’m a huge music festival lover, but am used to camping fests in the middle of nowhere. I did see Phish at this “stadium” location (where the Chicago Fire plays, not too far from Midway airport) in 2009 and 2010 but I gather that it has been renovated and that they will have one stage in the stadium and two others in the surrounding parking lots. They did North Coast fest that way last year (same venue). I suppose I won’t be getting spun when I have to drive back to the hotel, but I’m glad it’s in a rec state. I got spoiled quickly when MO went medical with not having to worry about hiding your stash…

Edit to add:
Bands I’ve recorded before on the lineup: Phil & Friends, Umphrey’s McGee, STS9, Greensky Bluegrass, Disco Biscuits, St. Paul & The Broken Bones, Wood Brothers, Lettuce, Lotus, Infamous Stringdusters.

I’ve seen ‘artist at large’ Margo Price before (but didn’t record) and she was great. On the undercard, the only one I’ve caught before is Andy Frasco & The U.N., who I’ve seen many times. The guitarist in that group is from Missouri and played in a rock band that I LOVED for like almost 20 years. They never got the recognition they deserved, but it’s good to see that he’s experiencing success in other ways. Frasco has brought that band all over Europe and has even played some competitions in Asia. He does a lot of the same schtick at every show, but he’s a natural entertainer. Half the time he’s not even behind his keyboard, but is cracking jokes and directing his band of misfits to duel each other.

5 Likes

Will trade seeds for radiohead bootlegs. Also interested in Frank Zappa, and live jazz.

there used to be a ton of amazing soundboard recordings on the internet. even an open source radiohead concert video combining all the cell phone videos with a soundboard recording. I just don’t have the energy to hunt this stuff down any more.

this is a great idea for a thread, I’m more of a jazz person than a jam band person, but I love improvisation and live artwork.

Zappa and Radiohead seem like the closest rock has ever gotten to a jazz performance style- tight song structures with totally free spontaneous improvisation from all the performers.

3 Likes

The tapers I know will upload recordings to Archive.org if the band allows it, and if not they’ll run a Torrent download at https://bt.etree.org There’s a bit of a learning curve if you’ve never worked with torrents before. A quick search turned up three Radiohead recordings with at least one seeder. Note that these are AUD recordings, not SBD:
3/9/2012 St. Louis
6/8/12 Bonnaroo
7/25/18 Cincinnati

If you lean towards jazz, have you checked out Kamasi Washington? or Snarky Puppy?

4 Likes

Good morning to me!! This Fade Away is too much! #facemelt

3 Likes

I am here for the JRAD content. I crossed the country several times for JRAD shows and can never get enough. In fact, I’m seeing JRAD for the next 3 nights! Ready for blast off… :alien:

3 Likes

I gotta admit I was late to the bus, I had dead albums and listened to touch of grey a million times and thought ’ I should learn that’ I didn’t really get deep into until last year.
And damn…the dead are just as deep as you want to go and as shallow as you are. Its what you bring to it and find in it that makes it special.
Any of you shredders our there that want to play the same damn solo every night and think you are the shit go on…and we will catch you when you are little older and wiser.

4 Likes
5 Likes

Well, JRAD last night was a freaking smoke show. Lava facking hot. Headed to STL in a few hours.

For those that dig 1973 Eyes, here is a “Just the Jams” mix I made several years ago. Its an hour and a half of Eyes jams starting with the first Eyes on 2-9-73 and continuing chronologically through spring of 73. Close listeners will also hear some Dark Star in there :sunglasses: Happy Saturday!

6 Likes

Have fun in my old stomping grounds of STL!!! JRAD is playing two nights there, iirc. Tonight is sold out. The Pageant is a very decent venue but sold out shows can get packed! As a taper I always had to be among the first going in the doors to claim a good spot for recording. I dunno if they still do it, but in the past they would open the doors to the Halo Bar at 5pm (attached to the venue, but with a separate entrance on Delmar street), and allow the first 100 or so people to enter the venue from the bar 15-20 minutes before they opened the main doors. Handy tip if you want a place to sit during the show and don’t mind chilling in the bar for a couple of hours. They never served food so they were cool with you getting something delivered (they kept delivery menus behind the bar) or sending one of your party to any of the 100+ restaurants within the neighborhood for take-out. They will close the Halo Bar if it gets too crowded before the show, so don’t wait too long if you want to try for early entry. Halo Bar’s patio is also the designated smoking spot, and sometimes they’ll have a local band playing after the main show ends. Directly across the street from The Pageant is Pi Pizza which is fantastic. A block or two east is a quaint Thai spot called Fork & Stix that serves a delicious pork belly curry… Note that The Pageant allows people under 21 to attend but they are relegated to the floor in front of the stage and a small section of seats to the right (when facing the stage). Rest rooms are located along the left and right walls both on the main floor and the balcony.

The Delmar Loop area in University City has, besides an obscene number of restaurants, lots of shopping including a great spot for records (Vintage Vinyl), head shops (Sunshine Daydream is a mainstay), and coffee shops. Blueberry Hill is a restaurant (very decent food!) with a music venue in the basement where Chuck Berry used to play semi-regularly up until his demise. There’s a life-sized statue of Chuck across the street from Vintage Vinyl!!! Oh, there’s another nice venue across the alley from The Pageant called Delmar Hall which fits 750 (The Pageant is around 2200). It was new when I left STL but I did get to see one show there. Galactic is playing there on Thursday and I have contemplated driving over for it.

To keep this relevant to the thread, here’s some old St. Louis Dead:

3 Likes

This couples story sounds familiar. “Oh by the way, I know we have been seeing each other for years, but I’m a closet deadhead, about to bust out of that closet.” This is great blog post about the writers relationship with her Deadhead boyfriend/husband and an interview with Betty Cantor-Jackson.

3 Likes

Going to have to give this read and see if I can gather some tips :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The audio version at the top of the page is great. Give er’ a listen.

1 Like

So here it is! 3-24-93 at the Dean Smith Center in Chapel Hill, NC. My very first G D show, and what a show it was! Little 15 year old me, got spoiled with this one.

From what I saw, the Stagger Lee and Crazy Fingers are in the top 10 on heady versions. Thanks again @BarefootAndBlazed for turning me on to that site.

Fast forward to Further tour in 98’ and 20 year old me is cruising the lot, when I stumble upon a vendor selling VHS tapes. One of the tapes was this recording. I still have it and it is one of my most prized possessions.
Be good ya’ll~ Crunch

4 Likes

Oh and the Jack Straw is KILLER!

2 Likes

That little guitar run at 10:53-10:54 is burned into soul! Even gets a smile from Jerry!

2 Likes

I grew up an hour north of STL. Been going to the Pageant since it opened. I live 6 hrs away now but, that’s a short drive for something like JRAD. In fact, I’ve never missed a JRAD show in STL, including their first show at the Pageant where there were about 250 people in the whole building. My, how things have changed! I’m a JRAD geek though. I’ve never missed them at Red Rocks, Aspen, Vegas and have seen about 80% of their shows in Denver, NYC, Los Angeles, ATL, New Orleans etc… I still miss Jerry and JRAD sounds nothing like Jerry but the feeling I get is very similar.

3 Likes

My significant other had no idea I was a Head until we had lived together for about a year. We went to my storage unit one day and she found my collection of concert posters and was blown away. She reaally flipped when I pulled out my ticket stubs. “OMG, you were one of those hippies driving around the country stoned on LSD following a band?!?!” Yep baby, that is me.

My first (solo) trip to the West Coast to see Jerry-

6 Likes

Was there! This was one of my many birthday shows (damn, I turned 50 this week!) Things were winding down in '93 but man, there is still some awesome music from that era. I don’t listen to '90s shows as often as I should.

3 Likes

I’ve heard that the soundboard patch given to tapers on 3/24/93 was the start of the end for Dan Healey. He was fired within a year…

An interesting account of that night:

4 Likes