Greenbeans506's grow adventures

Hello folks! Just found this wonderful community, it’s been great connecting with other growers/breeders on here the past week or so.

Little background on myself:

Started smoking in grade 9, it was then that I realized how helpful ganja is for Crohn’s disease. It was this feeling of relief, like my stomach was full of fluffy pillows rather than thumbtacks! The anti-inflammation blew my mind and I haven’t looked back since then.

How I started growing: at about age 20 I had to move back in with my parents in order to rehab off some stuff. They actually mentioned that learned to grow cannabis could be a good way to focus attention elsewhere. It certainly was. My father and I built a couple grow rooms in our garage and I started learning basic plant physiology and needs. For about 4-5 years it was just me and the plant. Eventually I decided to start working on some breeding to develop varieties best suited for Crohn’s and anxiety disorders. Been doing the breeding for about 4 years now and loving it. Currently starting to get into work with Landraces and older heirlooms to find unique flavors, and medicinal effects.

I think this is a good basic overview of my background so let get into what I have growing right now:

20 Likes

Growing soil-organic, the exact setup depends on what my goal for the run is:

If it’s a phenohunt with many plants I like fairly small pots with a compost heavy super soil. Only inputs is KNF plus fish hydrolysate.

If it’s a run just for the headstash, previously hunted clones etc I do living soil/no-till in 15gal fabric pots.

Current run is a pheno hunt type setup.

This plant here is a Romulan that my buddy got in trade on OG about 4 years ago. The plants have been a dream to grow, about week 7-8 now

30 Likes

You had me at “Romulan”!! :fireworks: :fireworks: :fireworks: A :heart:ty W-E-L-C-O-M-E to OG :fireworks: :fireworks: :fireworks:!! Hope you’ll enjoy your stay, beautiful plant you got goin’ on. I’ll just take a seat in that far right corner, if you don’t mind. Continued success in your endeavors, SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Romulan definitely one of my favs

3 Likes

Very cool @greenbeans506 what benefit do you find from the fish hydrolysate?

1 Like

Cheers guys, and thanks so much for the warm welcome @misterbee . :smiley::handshake:

@sprinklememaynee I mostly use it for a well rounded nutritional boost. I find when growing with compost/super soil in the small pots they need a little extra to keep them happy. (2gallon pots) Usually don’t need it until about wk 2-3 flower. It’s also an excellent fungal food if you are making teas or trying to build a fungal dominant soil. Thanks for the question!

PS: here’s a little bonus recipe for anyone interest (Dr. Elaine Ingham recipe via Matt Powers ‘Regenerative soil’ book)

Amounts are based on 55gallons of water so scale up or down as needed. Brew for 24 to 48 hrs in warm temperatures.

-Greenbeans :call_me_hand::beers:

4 Likes

Yes. Welcome. Yes.

1 Like

What microbes are you using? This is good but you need to make sure you are getting the plant more help. What else are you using during feeding?

@Exclusive Most of the microbes come from the homemade composts used in the soil build. Aswell as collections of indigenous microorganisms (loosely following Korean natural farming protocol). Nutrients etc come from the dry amendments in the soil build, composts, manures, as well as soil drenches of fish hydrolysate, fermented plant/fruit juices, water soluble calcium (eggshells) and other KNF inputs (OHN, BRV).

2 Likes

Oh ho! Another KNF cultivator!
I’m using both KNF and JADAM inputs in BuildaSoil 3.0 mix and the plants love it.
Just started messing with some sprouted seed tea as well.
I’m gonna follow along here and maybe pick up some tips.
I bless this grow with the headiest of Heady Bear vibes! :sparkles: :bear::sparkles:

2 Likes

Thanks for the blessing @HeadyBearAdventures :pray: Its nice to hear from another natural farmer :slight_smile: maybe we can bounce some ideas of eachother. I have never used JADAM with cannabis but do use JLF on my veggie farm, usually fermenting specific crops with water/leaf mold, then feeding back to the same crop species. Is there any fruit/veggie/plant that you find works best in JLF for ganja? The SST, how is that going for you?

1 Like

I have a Dandelion JLF and a compost JLF. Dandelion is full of whole Dandelion plants and roots, and compost is about 2 weeks of vegetarian food waste including fruits, veg, tea, coffee grains,
etc. They’re both coming up on 1 year old and have almost no rotten sink left, just fermented sweetness.
So far, the Buildasoil 3.0 hasn’t required nutrient supplements, so my grow has only been getting FFJ, FPJ, OHN (one garlic, one ginger), JMS, and LABS.
Like you though, my outdoor garden loves the JADAM inputs, so I’m excited to try out a full Jadam cannabis grow with spent soil.
The one input that I just started (1 week ago) that I’m most excited about is my cannabis residue JLF.
I’ve got all the defoliated leaves, and soon a whole chopped male going in the bucket to make weed specific nutrient solution.
The corn SST I did was amazing (I sprouted some popcorn in my cupboard), but initially shocked my plants to the point where the leaves were totally clawed for about 2 hours… after that they were paying to heaven, and greener than they had ever been. Definitely something I’ll use again.

2 Likes

Wow! That stuff looks incredible! Still got some seeds kicking around of it? Love to do a trade or something to aquire those magic beans! Need some of that in my gardens!

1 Like

Welp, color me interested! Think I’ll have a seat.
Nice to meet ya @greenbeans506!
:grinning:

1 Like

Oh dang, 1 year old! That would be some liquid gold for your plants. Probably isn’t much left in the bucket other than liquid eh? Or do you continually add new material to the buckets?

Love the Cannabis specific JLF idea :slight_smile: you must live somewhere with mild winters? I mostly grow ganja in the winter time indoors, and being in Canada all my JLFs are frozen under 3ft of snow. Suppose I could do it indoors but that would be pretty stinky!

Interesting on the corn SST I’ll have to revisit that one…

Have you done much for IMO’s? I think that’s my favorite input, making it is great, usually end up with a surprise when looking at a new batch under the scope! If your into IMO’s maybe we could do a IMO2 trade to diversify our collections :smiley:

This is a collection from an old growth forest here in NB, Canada. High elevation, springtime, under a large sugar maple. (I like to use whole oat groats rather than rice for a number of reason)

-Greenbeans :call_me_hand::beers:

8 Likes

Thanks @AzSeaindooin420 ! Nope I popped them all for this grow… but I will be doing an F2 sometime in the future with a beauty male and the keeper female(s). When those are done I’d be happy to trade :call_me_hand:

I am always open to trade though :blush: have other genetics that I’ve made over the years. Tropicanna Punch Bx1 x Wedding Cake F4 being the biggest one. Currently at an F2.

2 Likes

Moving on to a different plant here- this one I made about 4 yrs ago. It is ‘Critical Sensi Star x Sweet Dreams’

Critical Sensi Star is bred by Delicious seeds, they have some pretty nice stuff, older genetics are fairly stable but some of the new stuff I would avoid. Critical Sensi Star is (Sensi Star x Critical Mass). I’d recommend this variety.

Sweet Dreams is bred by KC Brains. Combines (Cali big bud/skunk x KC606) I found out about KC from a cannabis book written in 2005 detailing different strains. It had KC’s mango in it and I believe another one from him. I don’t know much about KC Brains other than that his seeds are cheap and made with older genetics. Anyone know about the legitimacy of KC in 2023?

Here is a pic of the Critical Sensi Star x Sweet Dreams taken today. The plants picked up some foxtailing from S.D, has a pretty unique bud structure and smells like sour candy/fruit gummies. Seeing some late flower nanners popping up in this phenotype, hopefully late enough to not seed the crop

9 Likes

Yes indeed, I’m a desert dweller here in Arizona, so we get maybe a day or two a year of frost :grin:

Looking at that beautiful IMO cloud, I would love this, however my location lacks vegetated undisturbed earth for collection, so I collect IMO from the bottom of a 4 year old compost pile… not exactly old growth. :rofl:
It would be like: "Here. Take my 88 Buick. Oh and I’ll take your Ferrari. ’

1 Like

Quite the difference in climate! It was -47C here last week, was about ready to move down near you :laughing:

Hahah well much respect for that! You must rely heavily on the JMS and compost for microbes?

Yep! Between “seasons”, the beds get topped with the past year’s compost (food waste from 6 neighbors plus our own), and I make batches of JMS to treat bare soil before planting.
I also mulch with crop residues

1 Like