Grow fabrication

Anyone have any experience in plastic fabrication?

Hello @Joshj .

Are you referring to Injection Molding?

I machined the molds used in Injection Molding of plastics.

Regards,
WHAB

7 Likes

Plastic is a vary broad term. Different types of plastics suit different purposes better. What exactly are you trying to construct with plastic?

Some plastics can be printed with a 3D printer to make smaller parts.

3 Likes

Oh and don’t let the Glock guys catch you calling it plastic… lol Polymer they will insist.

7 Likes

3D print is great, making my own little gadgets, good place to start, got last years model for near half price, CR-10 versions are pretty dang popular, 2-600$.

3 Likes

Which type of plastic fabrication are you asking about? I run injection mold machines at work all day., or what exactly were you thinking of?

4 Likes

Im specifically thinking double walled Hempy buckets.

Or something similar…

1 Like

@WhiteHotAfterburner

What are the molds made out of?

“Botanical Solutions”.

1 Like

Aluminum.

wavy,
WHAB

2 Likes

Could you make the mold for something like a double walled hempy bucket?

If you quote the cost for the block of aluminum and cost of milling let alone the heating and other equipment that might be the dreamkiller.

Im gonna make a wild guess, 5gal bucket = 100kg aluminum block?

Steel is similar to aluminum in many ways…:wink:

Further sand is everywhere. Lol

Oh well, imma settle back and watch how few words people can use per post, rarely see that.

1 Like

Haha, I was reading some of the shark tanks “posts”, some funny stuff there.

Lol, ya know sometimes people put up a bold face on the internet to act tuff. Then they get plastered all over a forum being dumb.

Is it time to have a chat with the kids about internet bullies?

1 Like

Whasup doc?

1 Like

No, I could not. I don’t have a knee mill or a HUGE block of aluminum of which to machine. The last simple mold I machined was around $10,000usd - just the milling. That was in the mid-80’s, on a manual mill. I am now AutoCad certified and CAD/CAM. CMM certified as well.

I don’t believe you can machine a “bucket” within a bucket (with no connective material). You couldn’t get a tool (cutter) in between the two “walls” of the buckets.

Why not buy buckets already on the market?

I’m not sure I understand what your attempting to accomplish.

I mean, you could make a nestled mold within a mold to inject with plastic (in what ever form)…but the aluminum would cost you dearly. Just moving a block of aluminum would take a team of men or a machine.

smoke,
WHAB

3 Likes

Id assume you were doing machining for high tech precision parts and such. Im not sure that level of quality would be necessary. It would be simple just to make a mold from steel for high number of extrusions.

When i initially posted the topic i was curious to know if there were members enough on the forum to, in theory, make and distribute a bucket and similar things.

Do you do any wood turning, milling?