Growing with Mr.Sparkle : Trials & Progression 2020

Still hoping for a bountiful bean harvest for you cats! :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

oh two of them are full of seeds, its just the last was only about 1/3 pollinated.

Still though will be many hundred to thousand seeds.

12 Likes

Looking good in here as usual :+1:

Have you ever happened to take a reading with a lux meter? Your plants look real healthy, if I put my lights that close Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™d fry mine.

2 Likes

yeah i have a uni-t lux meter ive been using as of late as my phone was over compensating to a point were i had to put a 0.7x correction to it.

but ill grab some measurements for you, for the two cabs running at different power levels

2 Likes

@MumenRyder
So for context left side seeded plants are running with 60w from the wall or 55.7w to the strips them selves, and im at right around 3.06sqft per side, so about 18.2wat the strips per sqft.

But tops of the three plants are as follows , 26k, 32k, and 48k from shortest to tallest.

The right side with is at 75-77w from the wall but say 22.8ish watts at the strip per sqft, they are all receiving around 36+k at the lower canopy and 58+k at the very top on the tallest at the moment, but add in an extra 2+k or so just cause having my arm block open the door a bit cause my values to drop a bit.

Something i have noticed with light levels for myself is if i say try and turn things up mid grow they donā€™t like it at all, they seem to do better just running and growing under one level from the start and just growing up into an increasing light level vs say getting turned up on later, my guess is that they grow up and adapt to work with the light level you give them. If they were photoperiods doing a light increase at flip to compensate for lost light hrs from coming from a veg cycle would kinda equalize a light level bump out to a certain point though or i would think DLI wise and such.

10 Likes

Thanks for the numbers man :+1:and you run 18 hours on both sides?

Good info on them growing into the light. Usually I have to bump it up slowly after flipping to flower.

Im actually having a problem and it seems light related but at this point I dunno. Iā€™m not sure if youā€™ve seen anything like this, but I didnā€™t get any responses:

1 Like

@MumenRyder yes 18/6 and i saw your post this morning but that level of yellowing on the leaf margins i have no idea so didnā€™t comment, the plants do look rather dark overly so and looking at the serrated tips that are burning that points to high K as well but i really cant say, as for the pool shock i use to be a proponent of it like you know but my opinion on it has changed, yes it works but i started to make a link between it and expressions of mutant like leaf growth and or downward turned leaves especially on the first half of growth for them.

ā€¦ i donā€™t know how long ive been running without but has probably been 6+ months now, me just giving my resā€™s a rub down with a brush and rinse with tap water with every refill has been keeping me away from any issues, can usually sneak in two fills if im lazy before issues are more likely to pop up.

7 Likes

Yeah Iā€™m not sure whatā€™s up yetā€¦ I think Iā€™m going to ditch the pool shock though since Iā€™ve seen more than one complaint about it recentlyā€¦

Itā€™s tricky for sure because I never have EC over 1.0, I measure run off and itā€™s never higher than 1.2 and I keep the blocks wet so EC shouldnā€™t rise due to drying ā€¦ But it really does look like they are over ferted. Maybe without circulation fans the temps up top are getting higher and pullIng in tons of water and therefore nutesā€¦ I never see ambient above 82f though, but Rockwool has no CEC so the roots pull whatever is in there with no resistance.

Anyways not trying to litter up your thread, I appreciate the analysis and data though itā€™s definitely helpful :+1:

6 Likes

plus with the consistant washing away of what the plants give back to their root zone or consistant feed situation which is another thing ive been becoming more aware with over time with my coco and auto watering and when its running too much the plants are impacted where they arenā€™t able to self regulate to a degree or tune in their own root zone to what they like giving what they are given, but id start with nixing the pool shock for a bit just to see.

@MumenRyder and your not littering up this thread, its as good of a place as any for discussion :wink:

6 Likes

whats the dimentions of the cabnet and what lights ?

1 Like

Everything is listed in the first post. 3x3x3 cabs and bridgelux eb gen 2ā€™s with XLG-100-L-AB driversā€¦

5 Likes

3ā€™x3ā€™ would be huge in comparison @HolyAngel each side is roughly 50cmx57cm which is about 3.06sqft in imperial measurements , oh heights like 28.75" or 73cm for got that.

but yeah bridgelux eb2 and xlg-100-l-ab drivers, but they are running alot less ā€œ60-75wā€ and ive removed some strips since my starting posts so only running 10 of the 280mm 3500k strips per side vs my original 14.

5 Likes

Day 63/54/34

Update wise, was playing with watering times on both sides and they went a little dry but i was monitoring roughly just to see so no real issues happened other than to the Short seeded GSCxDD which with the watering, being late into flower, and coupled to me removing the 2nd circulation in each cab casued a lower branch on that GSCxDD to dry a little become weak then got re hydrated but some mold spore got hold on the inner stemsā€¦ also has been really humid here as well so combo of issues.
oh well, gave those spots some sprits with h202 just for now and i chop it in a couple days or at least the effected spots.

So figure i might as well start refilling the left side res with lower feed to get them to fade out and finish out those seeds.

Also put back in the 2nd circulations fans for each cab but moved them up from where they were before.

Right side though doing quite well, the flopped top hasnā€™t rebounded yet, but it will eventually, just gave it a bit too much i guess. Getting a few leaf issues down low but i just think its cause its pulling hard on stored reserves to create buds, so will be playing with my feed levels to be a bit higher on the start on the next round.

Otherwise looking good, can definitely see that my limiting factor this round is root space, but has kept the plants really manageable so not really an issue just an observation if i was hunting yields.

21 Likes

Ah, my mistake. I remembered you saying 3sqft and got confused when I replied :sweat_smile:
Everything is still looking sharp as always sir!

2 Likes

Day 65/56/36

Seeded plants are on reduced feed now, also snipped out a couple sections of lower bud on the GSCxDD cause of mold and harvested the usable seeds from it, still will give them another week or two, and the GT2xSBR is coming along as well.

Right side starting to fill in, did a light top soil scrape and dump to provide a bit more room for watering, allowed me to extend my watering times by 2 secs from 5 to 7secs as they were starting to stay fairly light between waterings so instead of decreasing the time between events i opted to water a bit longer per event. Also its that time of the season so some fungus gnats got in and populated the one res so that got a clean out last night on a refill anyways just gonna watch and continue on.

Running out of time though three weeks left before i take off for a week and half, so think the flowering plants will get relegated to the deck with their reservoirs, as i would have to change to my bigger reservoirs to get 10-12+ days out of them and wont have the height to do so also would prefer not to have stuff running when im away, as it just easier on the mind, plus putting them on the deck will slow them down just cause they wont get much sun and will need less water because of it, so they make it they make it, they donā€™t they donā€™t.

So far from what im seeing from this green pheno side branch it isnā€™t doing much for me, so those seeds will probably end here only have a couple dozen anyways.

23 Likes

That main trunk is looking fiiiiineeeee

3 Likes

Day 68/59/39

Think i may start chopping off some one the ripe buds on the GSCxDD and get them drying come the weekend. Others moving along, with not much outward looking change ā€œlittle boringā€ but hey just part of it.

Right side is starting to bulk up but i dont expect too much as these all appear to be fluffier leaning phenos apart from the front right being less so.

24 Likes

Day 72/63/43

Not much change in picture difference from my last couple pictures, but an update anyways.

Right side trimmed off some of the buds on the GSCxDD back on thurs or friday, and collected some seeds from those parts, at around 350+ with that and i just took that plant off water yesterday so im just gonna let it dry in place. The RPxSBR i could do the same as its seeds are good as well, leaving just the GT2xSBR which needs another week or two.

Right side still filling out with some orange pistils here and there, back two plants are willow leaning expressions so they are a little fluffy, otherwise only two weeks left before im gone, so still thinking they will be moved to the deck when that happens.

24 Likes

Day 75/66/46

The seeded RPxSBR will be chopped on the weekend, but the GT2xSBR will go till next week, they have been on just water for the last bit.

As for the right side well they arenā€™t going to get the time they need to fully finish if i have my chop date before i leave so boo to that, but just gonna have to relegate them to the deck and see if they survive, and tape down the pots to the reservoirs as i know a strong wind would knock them over, so ill get to half setting stuff up this weekend or mid next week.

And a seed shot of the GSCxDD f2ā€™ seeds should have right around 600 seeds from that little plant.

25 Likes

Nice looking seeds very informative thread
Thanks for sharing
Paps

4 Likes