Growing with Mr.Sparkle : Trials & Progression 2020

Day 19/10

Right side i moved the other similar size and age plants back this morning, two in center front are being sprayed with CS, and i’ll let you guess what the back right sacrificial plant is being sprayed with cause that perkiness isn’t natural.

Left side im gonna up pot the GT2xSBR’s and wait till the ones that want to throw early pollen sacs do just to see if we can find one that doesn’t sport that issue, and the bedded plant i have learned and tried what i wanted and don’t need any bud it will produce so it will be removed bit later today which will also free up room for the soon to be re potted plants.

16 Likes

Day 21/12

Left side, just did a shuffle to bring the plants being sprayed with CS to the front left, and brought over the stretchy GA3 sprayed one too which i did a stem fold on this morning just to knock back its height.

As for the right side with the big plant gone the little ones get more space, looking a little rough for wear with the re-pot, also setup the autowaters for that side at 4sec/480min just to start going with that and will hand feed the ones without lines, also tested the GA3 on a seedling with two applications, you can obviously guess which one it is.

17 Likes

Day 23/14

Plants havent been as happy as they could, need a big dose of “LITFA”, but lights are turned back down to around 75w, still spraying with CS on the two plants, and stopped spraying Friday with GA3 on the plant on the right side and the runt seedling that was sprayed twice is just doing it thing.

Seedlings are a little water logged and i think got hit with a bigger pH swing than they wanted, growing tired of the maxibloom as i prefer megacrop but been waiting till they get the smaller bags stocked up here whenever that may happen… may have to order from the fellow over at Aqua terra thats here on the forums for that. Also considering spending the $$$ on an actual pH pen cause sometimes the wide range indicator drops don’t provided me with confidence in what things are at.

Oh and i need to start some seeds today as i’ll be taking some holidays in Aug, so with a bunch of these plants going to be removed eventually, and me having 2 short months till im away i need to get on it even if i just do a pollen run and or have to throw them on the patio to finish when im gone, cause otherwise i’ll have some empty cabinets that would be nicer with some plants in them.

17 Likes

Also too early to tell yet, but the GA3 sprayed plant has some further budsets that are well… looking a certain way.

20 Likes

Wow very nice pics , a great moment captured : )

3 Likes

Day 25/16

Right side starting to stretch, also stopped the CS spraying on one plant and will for the other today or tomorrow, just looking like the start of some pollen sac formation at the top.

Left side though, doing a big “meh”.

18 Likes

Day 27/18

Well lets start with the right side, CS sprayed plants are showing pollen sacs so wooo to that. The GA3 sprayed plant isn’t showing any though also has a nice double “N” stem fold going on and needing a third to keep its height in check but im done with her at this point.

Guess my current summery of GA3 vs CS is i cant truly say as i dont have pollen sacs being that my concentration mix is probably wrong but my initial opinion is even though CS does hamper the plant in a damage type way you still get to see how the plant grows out more or less naturally structure and build wise, with GA its really a guess cause your growth and shape are vastly altered due to the stem elongation properties that it promotes so you would have a hard time trying to discern any traits that the reversed plant may carry along that alone makes me favor the CS a lot heavier.

Did notice something with the GA3 spray though that i’ll have to test further with some CS spray, that being through the preparation of a GA3 solution you have to use a alcohol solvent to initially dissolve your GA3 powder which i used methanol but what i noticed is the GA3 spray would soak into the leaves pretty much visibly which made me think that the small added concentration of a alcohol solvent probably aids in surface tension reduction and or possibly knocks back the waxy leaf properties to allow better absorption and how that you could probably do the same with some CS to make it more effective.

Also not saying the acidic nature of GA3 probably helps too but were talking small concentrations, so i added some methanol to my CS spray at the very end just to see and it did appear to make a noticeable difference, so ill be testing that again on some fresh plants and maybe do a side by side with and without a little methanol mixed in for my own knowledge, cause if i can get the CS to be absorbed more effectively then that means less applications.

On to the left side which is well not doing the best but are improving, all the plants in both cabs got a off pH feed watering about 4-5days back which i didn’t correct initially when i noticed the plants were showing issues “laziness or whatever on my part” so they just got a plain watering as i was waiting on some of the new v3 megacrop to arrive, i had ordered some from Aquaterra here on the forums as he had some smaller sizes available for purchase and is somewhat local to me and Greenleaf still doesn’t have the smaller sizes stocked for us Canadians, so he got my business :wink: .

They all got there first feeding of the new v3 megacrop last night, i just had grown tired of Maxibloom and how it needs way too much pH adjuster to get into usable ranges, i prefer megacrop anyways ive just been out for awhile and couldn’t get any due to covid and shipping/restock situations…

So they may spring back but i expect to be thinning them eventually, one when the hermi traits start showing or as i deem fit, but also have some new seeds going too by the other pots which should all be up either tomorrow or the next day.

A bonus shot of the GA3 sprayed seedling beside its sisters that i removed yesterday, just to show the stretch differences GA3 causes.

Alot of blabbing today apparently lol

20 Likes

Oh wow that is crazy! I was thinking “eh maybe a bit taller…” but damn! not like that :laughing: Definitely see what you mean there about it vs the CS.Think I’d rather stick with the CS too.

7 Likes

yeah its significant thats forsure

4 Likes

Day 29/20/0

All are doing better with the switch to the new v3 megacrop, removed the ga3 plant as it still wasn’t showing any pollen sacs also removed two more plants that i wont be using, really there is only two plants i want to use for seeds on the right side, that being the one i reversed and the one right beside it which is the front center plant.

As for the left spread things out again after i punted the new seedlings ove to the other side, and they are looking better than they were so thats good, the lone C9D on the middle left looks to be of the photoperiod variety so just waiting a bit more before making a decision on that one, and will remove one of the others just to make an even 8 plants and then the auto waters can take care of everything.

18 Likes

make you almost wanna smoke it…lol… that fucker mr Sparkle is the bees knees

5 Likes

Day 31/22/2

All are doing well, no hiccups with the new megacrop yet so its working.

Removed the big potted plant just handwatering and not being as big as id like due to well hand watering was just a trial anyways, the little ones now get their own reservoir and i plan to hook up the autowatering for it, will be minor in the watering amount i just want them getting some fresh feed water at least once a day, get them expecting it i guess is my thought on it.

Left hand side is looking better removed the C9D photo and one of the gt2xsbr that already looked like it was forming some node pollen sacs was the roughest looking one so maybe just a quick to show when stress in some expressions, really no idea but we will find out.

Also want to start more seeds again as i expect to be reducing at least a couple of these plants maybe enough to free a reservoir in say a week or two it just depends on whats going on, i just wont have time to finish them out bud wise so they would either be pollen plants that only need about 5 weeks or i could run some seed plants that i would just throw on my deck when away and if they survive they survive, or at least finish up what they can dying slowly vs a hard chop.

Other option is to just up pot the little seedlings in a week or two…

19 Likes

very nice! thanks for the look at your work

all the best and grow well

Dequilo

3 Likes

Day 33/24/4
Right side waiting on pollen and wanting to try very light auto watering on the young ones, Left side the GT2xSBR’s are starting to stretch, back left plant has the early lower node pollen sacs going, initial stress by my part most likely contributed to that and was expecting it anyways as so far all of them ive run have done it, so currently at 2 out of 9 on these that have shown but only the stretchier ones so far. Just gonna watch and see, if one pops up that doesn’t express that trait it will most likely be hit with some GSCxDD pollen im waiting on from the right side.

Thats about it for today.

IMG_20200611_073736

15 Likes

Curious as to what constitutes ‘some’ in this case? Guestimate wise as a starting point to play with?

As always very impressed with the peaks behind your curtain :star_struck: and the knowledge you share, Thanks!

2 Likes

a squirt from my squeeze bottle that i store a little in lol, but 3-5% roughly, supposedly there is some older scientific literature about foliar spraying methanol and ethanol at ranges up to 20% and it causing increased growth rates due to artificial threat responses that happen naturally, but i didn’t dive more into the info on what were the full test parameters and or what or how many plants they tested on…

But that i all learned afterwards as someone else pointed it out over in OG discord chat, and not sure if its true so have another thing to play with, i got a 10% spray bottle made up right now that seems no different that just water… but need a side by side comparison to draw any conclussions

5 Likes

It’s super interesting stuff, they have it at the local hydromart, should likely be prepared for the worst… I am running some fems that are already a little suspect height wise so interested to see what has been working for folks. I will stay tuned, I think there are less variables for you and your setup to overcome. Everything is changing around here too quick to make any solid data :upside_down_face: Thanks again for the info and insight

2 Likes

But I don’t ever see your likes :sob::sob::sob:

2 Likes

Cnd tire or any hardware store here in canada carries it too just goes by the name “methyl hydrate” instead of methanol about $12-15 for 4 liters, its my go to base solvent i use around the house, and well for extraction purposes aswell…

@TheShowMeHomie well found out why, somehow i missed your grow journal thread "over the last 5 month :facepalm: " wasn’t in my tracked threads, guess thats why, also where the update to it :wink:

6 Likes

I am familiar with MH, except I used it to clean wood before treating it as a boat builder!! I got to get you guys on solvent free extracts, you sir just signed up for a flight of solvent free treats when I make it across the water! Another topic for another time, when you mentioned Ethanol I thought of Denatured Alcohol - I used this on finer wood finishes as MH does leave residue that inhibits chemical bonding in epoxy resins and would suggest checking that out maybe even for extracts as it evaporates completely * oh course I cannot condone it, have no idea if it is safe, never tried, likely won’t buuutttt if one was so inclined might be worth a look over MH :wink: Get mine at Industrial Paints and Plastics, not as cheap as MH but IME a much more complete evaporation. Thanks again Spark :pray:

Edit: I’m pretty sure the MH has the same warning on them but the “Klean-Strip” Denatured alcohol I use has poison labels on it _ @TerpSneeze is not responsible for those who choose to listen to his medicated ramblings :see_no_evil:

2 Likes