Growroom unobtanium pieces

Well, need a kick in the ass to start working the side hustle… Seem to be in financial freefall this year - and my weekly grocery run tells me I better resolve this soon…

There just happens to be a large collection of 3d printers, a laser cutter and cnc router sitting in my work area that mostly haven’t been turned on in weeks (some almost a year).

Curious what growers are struggling to find / unhappily DIY’ing that they’d much rather be able to purchase?

Friend just asked for some lightproof vents, that are inately able to be put over butchered holes in cabinets. Curious if you guys have any requests / needs that aren’t being met?

Heph

6 Likes

I’m not needing anything at the moment but I had thought about a 3D printer when designing the frame for my DIY lights (buddy has one but the logistics were complicated).

I was thinking about printing corner brackets that would accept 1" x 1" x 1/8" aluminum angle. This was structural and would protect the tent from scratches.
There is a lot of interest in DIY Bridgelux strips, perhaps a couple basic frame designs using angle and printed brackets would help some folks who are less adapt at wrangling a frame together.

Cheers
G

10 Likes

A good autowatering setup. Pump, lines, timer (to the second and holder bits and whatever else is included in a setup would be nice but i dont know how cost effective it is to make it.

I dont know if you can make the autowatering trays like the autopots but they are good.

Would you be able to make up some 6” hydro halos. The legs I’m not worried about just the actual halo

1 Like

I mean a peristaltic pump on an esp32 (use iot for real time clock and wifi web enabled programming - cheaper than buttons and screen let alone rtc components) all there would be to wire is a mosfet or SSR.

There’s not really much for me to do with that…

I’m sure I could, but going by the 6/9/12" prices I see on amazon - I’d suggest just using the normal channels, I’m 100% sure I wouldn’t be cheaper.

Could you make something like this for 6 inch rockwool cubes?

2 Likes

Hmm…just trying to use the right hand side if my brain…

How about melting down some milk jugs?..perhaps coat the metal bracket you are trying to use in vaseline or something and trying to make your own that way?

3 Likes

Cool! I didn’t know you could do that. I know there are three layers of plastic in those bottles.
If I have to protect the corners. my plan B is the unvulcanized rubber electrical tape but I think I’ll be OK!

Cheers
G

3 Likes

So about like so?

The struggle is real when you have to beat the kids off the only computer in the house that’ll run fusion :joy:

2 Likes

It looks perfect!

2 Likes

Posted STL for a test seed run mailing box. Matchbox style. If anyone’s looking for a solution / wants to do a local-ish destructive testing of the mail system. Its 25x25x5mm so should be able to ship lettermail - just secure it so it’s not flopping around. probably a bit of tape to ensure it stays closed.

2 Likes

Test print on a mothballed printer with a .6 nozzle (think super worn out .4) stock settings in cura, wet filament, run at 120% speed. Kinda the usual unmaintained, unloved run hard put away wet maker space/library/school printers.

I’ll do a tweak on the case so it fits better - didn’t allow for ringing in this kind of scenario, so tray fits tighter than it should on a dialed in printer.

3 Likes

When you go to run something on the sla and find a forgotten project from weeks ago :rofl:

Dollar store plant tags suck, they’re worse when your writing is illegible to even yourself.

So I did these for the blue tara’s

3 Likes

this 3d printer stuff is amazing. think you guys are on to somthing with the risers for rockwool cubes/pots. what does a 3D printer cost in canadian that can make those risers. Cheers <ZZZZZZZZZZZ#~

2 Likes

At the moment, check facebook… There’s been lots of creality etc that were bought at the start of 2020 that printed a few ear savers maybe a visor or two and now can be bought cheap :slight_smile:

1 Like

V2 of the hack it in exhaust fans.

Basically designed to take a 5015 fan (standard style not blower) bigger like 5020/5030 if you have a thicker than 2mm panel to go through. Meant for the inadequately tooled diy’er. Basically if you can hack a hole bigger than 2" and smaller than 4in and apply some double sided sticky tape or glue… Mostly lightproof exhaust.

V1 had some extra baffles, but they restricted flow way too much.

Now if I could only figure out why paypal has me locked out of my circa 98 paypal account. I don’t want a new one. I want mine back :rofl:

2 Likes

Inside and outside. Should have hit the inside with a bit of black. :man_shrugging:

Fans flowing decent amount on this cabinet. (Yeah for some sealing to do, some parts came off for refit and rework)

5 Likes

Well done @Hephaestus!
That is exactly the sort of stuff that can be used. Maybe there should be a pinned 3D printer thread for these ideas?

Cheers
G

Debating documenting this cabinet rebuild and just releasing the stl’s because it really is a super simple cheap way to outfit a cabinet…

I mean seriously besides needing to poke a few holes - there’s a tiny bit of trimming (likely could be accomplished with a kitchen knife) the rest is all printed and various 3m tapes… How many "I don’t have tools but I need a cabinet threads do we see a year?

3 Likes