Clone box just saw this what do you think

I saw this on IG it’s by woodshed ( he did not invent it he said )
It’s a plastic box that a rooter fits in and you wrap it around a stem while it’s still in the plant once it roots cut the branch you want rooted and just plant
I think I’ll buy these and give it a try
Hope the link works
I just emailed him Friday so far no info back

12 Likes

That’s a neat idea. Following along…

4 Likes

I like dyi things so if you take a stem scrap it put some rooting hormone on it split a rooter then take twists tie and a small pice of plastic bag and rig something
Does any do this
The woodshed people also have the seed splitter thing

5 Likes

That is nice but would take a bit to reveg that one. I wonder if it would work with rockwool if you kept it damp and if you should score the stock or not.

1 Like

Not sure about wool rock? Think the example was just on a flowering plant
This will work on a mother plant , it even can work for grafting
Then that opens up a whole new path for these things
I hope to try this out soon I just rooted clones the old fashion way
I will clone later on 3 or so weeks till plants are ready

But think if you can take clones kept alive while-cutting is still being fed and rooting
No extra room needed
No dome
No heat mat
No watering 2 x’s a day
And bigger cuts can be taken from the mom’s hell those thick stems that give me trouble ( the bigger the cut the less time in the veg tent )

6 Likes

It’s been called air layering before. You can do it with some soil and plastic wrap too. Though I have to admit those boxes that hold a RR plugs are sweet.

11 Likes

Finally a use for my 3d printer again lol :joy:

9 Likes

That’s pretty ingenious tbh. Good find @Papalag

Looks heavy tho, which has always been my qualm with air-layering. Gotta take gigantic clones. Lol

Been wanting to try open-cell foam. No better time than the present, right?

3 Likes

Actually been doing something like this, for trees and bushes, but with small water bottles and tin foil, for years. Looks like it would work great.

6 Likes

I figured I can support the plant if needed if this is too heavy

I like the idea of a small plastic bottle( hell duct tape and plastic I can make anything including a canoe lol )

I need to try this

7 Likes

I’ve done air layering with plastic downspout material & 5 gallon buckets. Split them & then use 1/2 peat, 1/2 sand, wait 10 months for new tree clone. (landscaping stuff).

Pretty cool even if we’re all drowning in plastic already

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

Air layering is an easy way to make new trees, shrubs and all different kinds of plants and flowering plants.

This is another “old school” technique that is tried & true and works every time. Making a few small sits down the stem you plan on air layering can help it root faster too.

7 Likes

Hi DG
I was thinking of either scrap or cut slits use a small brush to paint on clonex gel split the rooter then use plastic rap from the kitchen and let it rip

2 Likes

What a cool trick that is, I wonder if you could do it with a old film canister, pill container might work as well, and duct tape, Red, Green, eat your heart out lol.

I am going to have a play this afternoon :slight_smile: although I don’t need the distraction atm.

4 Likes

It’s a great way to deal with plant counts too. I know here they consider a seedling or unrooted clone a plant.

5 Likes

How’s about cutting out the compartments from a plastic egg carton, and splitting them of course. The RR should fit comfortably in there, and cost literally nothing. My wife will be ecstatic about recycling the plastic. Styrofoam cartons might work as well.

1 Like

Just made one from a Grub Grenade canister. 2 inches long 1 inch across, cut a hole in the lid and split it to the side, the cannister was a bit hard and after I cut a hole in the bottom and down one side and across thge bottom the other side cracked when opened. So I duct taped both sides. Clipped on the base after scraping the branch and putting aloe goo on it then put in my moist soil and slid the lid down on top to secure. We will see if it works lol.

12 Likes

Looks great should work

5 Likes

Seems like lots of DIY options. Hell, the one in the video looks DIY to me. Just get a little box like that at the dollar store and drill some holes as necessary for the stalk to go through.

4 Likes

I have used this technique with a chinese magnolia, there are “suckers” (in Spain we call them chupones as they suck the strength of the tree) that grow in the base of the tree. I just cut a pot and put it with soil around one, then little by little I take out the cortex from below the pot with a cutter so the plant gets lets food and throw roots in the pot. This winter I will chop it and plant it … :sunglasses:

9 Likes