Handling soil when planting germinated seeds and transferring plants

What kind of pressure is used to compact soil when planting a germinated seed as well as seedlings and plants to be transferred. For the germinated seed I know it’s very gentle or no compaction of the soil. What about compacting soil when transferring seedlings to 1 gallons, and then the vegging plant to a 5 gallon container? Let me now if I’m overthinking here, but probably not as much compaction as the mountain sage I planted not too long ago in the backyard!

2 Likes

Firm supple and round.

Wait that’s something else.

Seriously though, light pressure don’t worry too much, pack it down but not hard :+1:

6 Likes

I usually pack mostly to correct the verticality of the main stem … frech|nullxnull

6 Likes

I feel it should be, always very gentle or no compaction.
Then there is this…

If you don’t do some your plants fall over when you water.
So you need enough so they don’t…LOL

I am not afraid to pack soil real hard around the edge of the pot.
The roots always hit the sides, so if it makes it harder no big deal.

Fluffy soil is the best, compact soil is the worst.
Just keep those things in mind and do the best with what you have.

4 Likes

Sounds good @George. Gentle pressing around the base like that could easily provide the general compaction needed at the same time plant is leveled.

Well put @shag, will keep that aphorism in my mind!

1 Like

By the way, ol’ @George does not mean any harm.
He just thinks that is the moose emoji… :joy:

1 Like

With soil, I like to start seedlings in a coir plug or a mini dixie cup. When the seedling is ready to be up-potted, I tightly pack soil around a plug or dixie cup so that the plug or dixie cup leaves a perfectly sized hole in my larger container for transplanting my little cutting in to. Once the soil is packed in tightly I remove the plug or dixie cup I had placed in the center of the larger pot and it leaves a perfectly-sized hole to gently place the cutting in to… no compression at all except to make sure the cutting is well seated and standing straight up. Each larger sized container is packed tightly and the smaller containers were also packed tightly before the seed was potted so that the whole interior of any and all containers is packed densely.

3 Likes

I don’t know if others will agree, but on the first transplant I plant the seedling fairly deep. Especially when they have stretched a lot in the rooter stage, I bury some of the stalk right up to the first cotyledon baby leaves.

I’d be interested in learning if others follow that same practice?

-Grouchy

4 Likes

I tap the pot in my hand once or twice, and you can see the soil level drop. Slight pack, I never push on soil, unless I am making mud👀

2 Likes

I’ve done that with long stems with no ill effects…

Working in landscaping for years and talking with a ton of nurserys, a good rule of thumb is tamp it enough so there are no air pockets around the root ball, but don’t pack it so tight its like a brick. Firm enough to hold the plant upright, loose enough for roots to work their magic.

Roots dont like air pockets in pots / when transplanting…

3 Likes