Just noticed this spot

One seedling 12 days from sprout above soil. 8 others looking ok, no spots.

In solo w muni compost, perilite and peat. About equal volume.

Watered with jacks 20-20-20. 100ppm ph6.0

Ppfd was raised 2 days ago to 315 but lowered to 250 last night.

My others are shown here

Thanks in advance!
John

1 Like

Correction…new Apera pen arrived today. Yay!

PH 6.75
PPM175

Meh, it’ll get over it!
…or it wont, lol.
:man_shrugging:
Careful not to overwater at this young age.

Did you drip water on it by chance? :thinking:

1 Like

All bottom watering.

Thanks for the advice!

1 Like

Bottom watering is not a great solution at this age either. A spray bottle is your friend.
Just a few squirts around the base of the seedling every day, even every other day, will be enough not to over/under water.
I like to cover my solo cups with a disposable translucent juice cup. This creates a mini greenhouse. Sometimes I’ll only spray to underside of the cup every other day and the soil surface once a week this way. Because the seedling is taking in most of it’s water by the air until it has established roots.
:wink:

2 Likes

A little too young for bottom watering. Can get over watered at that age. Probably what happens. Could just be a little bitch and a candidate for culling as well but let her ride and see if pulls through.

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice @blowdout2269 and @GreenHighland!

Reason for bottom water was prep to go into MicroOctopots and wanted roots seeking bottom.

I was aware of overwatering danger and even weighed each cup to track consumption.
Even with this awareness and tracking I believe I may still be guilty.

Have a great one!

1 Like

Weighing them is a great idea!
I’m thinking the h2o wasn’t getting to the roots before drying back.

You could always give more, but…
This is where you get dangerously close to overwatering trying to feed a baby. :wink:

3 Likes

If you start out weighing them, after a bit you’ll have “the feel” without weighing them. It’s a good way to figure watering out. Not seedlings, but once plants get going, I water 1 gallon for ever 6 gallons of soil. I’m growing in peat/perlite about 50/50.

2 Likes

Thanks @crownpoodle!

Watering has always been my downfall.

I opted for DWC a while ago and am now planning to use Micro Octo.
Using equal parts municipal compost, sphagnum moss and perlite.

Much easier on my choice to water or not :wink:

Appreciate the input!

2 Likes

I started using these pourous bags. They fit right in a solo. You can pull them out to check roots and drop back in the solo with no damage. Cheap on Amazon. If you DO over water a touch, just pull the bag part way out of the solo. Drys quick.
I 1st saw @DougDawson using them, but I see a few others using them. Happy to help in any way. I still have small plants want to argue with me. I’ve had some plants act over-watered the whole grow.

2 Likes

Wow that’s a great innovation! First I’ve heard of it.
I’m going to search for them now. Can you uppot in the bags? Always worry about root damage if you disturb them.

Thank you!

John

1 Like

The bags transplant great! I dropped one recently. Not a problem, soil and roots hung together. Gardtree plant nursery bags. 5.5 x 6.3 size

1 Like