Have you ever been seriously blown away by a runt or its offspring?

You mean it fox tailed instead of nugs? I’ve been liking foxtail buds a bit myself hehe. Have you seen October’s pic of the month from Baltimore? That plant was crazy.

1 Like

One of the reasons I asked is that my favorite plant in my current grow is a runt. It’s the smallest and the least vigorous of all the plants, but it’s also the weirdest, coolest plant I’ve ever grown. It has tiny leaves, with only a few becoming larger than its usual ‘silver dollar’ sized leaves. It’s got narrow leaves, but isn’t tall and lanky like a sativa, nor is it short and dense like an Indica. I’ve never seen a plant like it and the HPS light really washes it out and makes it hard to see. I’ll try and get a non HPS picture tonight.

I am a tiny bit worried because I can’t quite sex it yet. I go back and fourth between male and female based on where I am looking. I hope it is stable. If it’s male and stable, I am going to chuck that pollen on everything. It’s a really regal looking plant, despite being the smallest, but much pickier about pH and nutrients than the other plants.

Edit: HPS pictures are so awful. I hate HPS lights. I forgot how hard it is to see the plants. That is just a blog of leaves and orange. I’ll get a better pic later.

3 Likes

I think your own experiences count the most, seems you already like it,so theres no way i would cull it.

2 Likes

I do love it, but I am a little concerned that something so far off the phenotypic bell curve could be ‘broken.’ Like, why is it so different from the others, and does that difference indicate a larger instability or lack of health for the population if its a contributing member? I would save the pollen regardless for personal chucking projects later, but I do wonder how much value it adds to an open pollination gene pool. I won’t intervene if it seems stable, but it’s weird.

2 Likes

Yeah I seen that pic and no they weren’t that densely together. Wish I had taken a pic. It was literally a calyx, a couple mm of tiny stem another calyx on the opposite side, a couple mm of stem, etc. they were all like this and most were 2-3inches long. Truly a weird plant but it was def a string of pearls look.

2 Likes

N.L and W.W are the 1st. plants i ever grew and to this day are both my favorites. i still grow them occasionally. hard to improve on perfection and easy to grow to boot!

3 Likes

Wow, same, I was given a few clones, NL and a c99 cross, then the guy who l ended up partnering up with had his own WW cross.

3 Likes

My Orange goji f2 runt. It was a couple days behind on germination out of 4 I planted. It still has the smallest leaves out of the group, but it has the best and most uniform branching structure.

Compared to another at the same time

It’s also the least demanding for nutrients. I like it so much, I’m keeping it even if it’s a male for pollen. It’s the furthest along of my 16oz manifold plants. I made it a base out of a piece of styrofoam.

Edit: scratch that comment about not demanding on nutrients. The other plants show nitrogen and some mg issues, but the runt is the one with red stem when it use to be green, Not enough phosphate?

2 Likes

I ran a subcool cross that never quite got as big as her friends but man she was the low yield/high quality type

I would run her again, even as a runt

7 Likes

My first Sinai female was a runt that grew to the height of my smartphone. She was pollinated by 2 males and produced 30 seeds. Here she is next to White Widow for comparison:

Her offspring have been normal size:

Growing unworked landrace is the proverbial box of chocolate :chocolate_bar: :yum:

9 Likes

She’s adorable. How did she smoke?

1 Like

The scent is floral and warm like perfume on a woman’s skin. The smoke was smooth, no harshness, uplifting and cerebral, relaxing for chronic pain. This is my favorite strain to have before medical visits involving blood draw, injections and IV. I have small veins and sometimes I get stuck several times or the nurse has trouble threading the IV. No pain although I feel the needle movement and no burning from the injections.

3 Likes

I made the mistake of throwing out some runts before and found out later that they were actually the desired phenotype haha.

So, unless the runts are like… really unhealthy and sickly, I ALWAYS keep them now. Usually I put the runts in tiny containers like solo cups so I don’t waste much soil in case it turns out to be a dud.

I’ve found some truly killer plants that were runts.

***One thing that I’m not sure was mentioned: just because the plant starts out as a runt, doesn’t mean it always will be. I’ve had many runts ‘catch up’ in growth to the same size (or larger!) than their brothers/sisters.

6 Likes

Phenotypes are a big thing. plus the chance of it being a runt due to environmental factors or injuries that happened very early on, like broken tap root, bruised stem when too young, over/under watering. Don’t discount it until the smoke report. Keep clones of everything until after you smoke it (if your into keeping cuts, you’ll regret it at some point if you don’t), then cull liberally. If your into making seeds, I’d flower out the males to check structure and speed of maturity. Then keep the choice male too, until it’s been tested for breeding. What’s the point of making a batch of great seeds if you can’t recreate it with the same parents, or use those selected parents in other crosses if they’ve proven themselves as a favorite.

Northern lights is one of my favorites. It isn’t packed with as much flavor or smell as many of the more modern varieties, but that in itself is kind of nice. Grows real well in northern climates and resists mold. A true classic and great plant to breed with. Pick your favorite strain and Nl is probably in there somewhere.

5 Likes

I just got my mmj 2 yrs ago, the 15 years before we barely smoked only when we went to michigan, Nl was the first that got us relaxation and a buzz. there were about 25 strains we tried before that mostly from Dispo’s, caregivers or friends in Mich.

2 Likes

I don’t like spending a lot on seeds but sometimes something jumps out at me and I want it bad. And I will buy a few individual beans and try to find a mama. Well this was the only reg bean I bought this time and I was worried that it was going to be a male. The last one was cornbread from rare dankness it started of really wonky. Like miniature, lol. Anyways it grew up big enough to clone and I got a cut and sexed it. Female! Sweet! And the smoke is so nice. Don’t taste or smell like cornbread, more like honey and caramel with a little lavender hint in there. It’s fire. I will try to find a pic. Oh and she had cool extra fingers on her leaves! I know I got that pic. Idk about a nug pic tho…!

2 Likes

5 Likes

Those top two I didn’t mean to click… but the last two, check out that cool leaf.

1 Like

If you grow Landraces then Eviromental factors should change the apperance of the Strain.

If per example you grow Thai, the best Phenos in your Growenviroment might well be the Chinese-Ancestor ones . They can handle lower Temperatures, or lowered Lightintensity (many doo give tropical plants to weak Indoorlight) way better. Therefore all your selecting for may be the wrong in therms of the actual Potential of Strain. And the smaller Plants might be unhappy Thaiphenos

I also read this: The pronounced Miniature Traits only occured in Landr from Desertlike Regions, or close to it. Its a survival Trait to ensure survial is what i interpret therefore.(concentrating Energy) So, its not a bad Gene? its a part of the Genetic, and could hold valuable Traits linked to the Desertsurvival-trait. Effectwise seen those Phenos could therefore be as good or actually better.

2 Likes