Heat stressed and dehydrated

Got these plants that were thriving, checked on em the night before and all seemed fine, planned to do my watering the following morning and got out to em later than I would around 11 and every thing looked wilted and dead from heat stress and dehydration, hurried and water blasted the roots and some seem to kinda be coming back around but wondering if I can do anything more for em or are they just to far gone I may as well flush the last 3 months of veg down the drain and start over?
Soil grow in az, feedings with TLO compost tea recipes. Greenhouse with swamp cooler and led grow lights for nighttime on 20/4 light cycle
Pics are before and after the incident.

3 Likes

Pics didn’t load. You have to wait until it’s completed uploaded to post. That said, I have seriously neglected my plants before due to depression. It’s a weed, they are like Rubbermaid containers. They can bounce back from a lot. Especially when ya over apply LIFTA.

4 Likes

Would love to provide an educated opinion, but as @SerialSquishy said, there are no pics…

In any case, plants grown in soil that wilt from lack of watering can usually bounce back completely, or close to it. You might lose some tips on the lower fan leaves, but nothing drastic. Then again…

What does that mean? If you simply watered the plants, and perhaps even allow them to sit in a little water to absorb from the bottom up as well as from the top down, that’s all you need to do. Of course, you don’t want them sitting in water for too long, but if the soil is as dry as you’re describing, it should absorb a decent amount of runoff.

I’ve gone away for a week and come back to droopy very dead looking plants and they perked right back up.

It wasn’t too hot though.

2 Likes

Just completely saturated my soil, should prob add I’m using 20 gallon smart pots

Gotcha. Ok, so you can literally spray the sides with a hose without much concern about harming the roots.

Based on the image numbers of those pics, it looks like they’ve already rebounded nicely. Am I seeing that correctly?

2 Likes

1 Like

There’s some better pics, they look absolutely pissed off and only about 30-50% of each of the plants even look alive at best, one of em all the nodes are still drooped over. Others the tops are goners and a couple the plants don’t look like they are gonna make it. Obviously just kicked a decent yield right in the nuts. Not sure if I’m better off just taking the soil and starting over from scratch or putting more time and investment trying to bring these girls back to health enough to flower out, original plans were to flower out Sept 1st, now I have no clue which approach to take. Next compost tea feeding is suppose to be this weekend so really stuck in limbo right now

Had to screenshot originals for file size reduction healthy canopy is literally day before, yesterday it all happened with 2 pics showing and the 9 additional I just took 20 min ago. Remedies have been the saturating my soil completely and evening I have been misting the plant trying to rehydrate the dead leaves, anything else I can do or try?

If your soil is moist from top to bottom and you’re foliar spraying and keeping them in a high humidity environment, I don’t know what else you can do. If you have fans running, you may want to avoid hitting them directly with the airflow.

3 Likes

I’m afraid if the plants were too hot and you have watered them you may have cooked the roots. You see when there’s some problem with them when fading and dryness goes from bottom to top.

If you see someone already dead take a look at the roots, those shoes are too big for those plants. Hope they will rebound and you will see new sprouts, it would be a good occasion to trim off dead parts to enhance the new grow …

2 Likes

That’s kinda what I was thinking purple, been reading some things about kelp with heat stress and was hoping someone may chime in from experience with that one. George id have to disagree about the pot sizes, obviously not being full of a beautiful canopy does no justice for size reference but panama red in the pic is 46" tall still in veg, 20 gallon is def the correct size for a plant that size with only one more month expected of veg, others are average of 3 ft before this happened

From my understanding reading what I can find, ive also seen that when a plant is stressed out and in shock like that I shouldn’t be plucking or cutting messing with any of it’s foliage, plant is already stressed out enough and would essentially be " kicking her when she is down". Best to let her recover if she is going to. Can anyone prove or disprove that concept?

I know what you mean, but I always read you should water your plant according to the plant size, not the pot size. I you water the whole 20 gallons, it will take a long time to dry, roots will have lack of oxygen and being dump for so long could have root rot.

You can have 20 gallons if you want, but not from the beginning, you cannot create a healthy root structure unless up potting when needed. Only autos need big shoes since the start because they say they get stressed when transplanted.

You should check the roots, see if they are in a healthy condition and how many of that big pot they are covering. All of these are not my ideas, just borrowed from the real experts here, just share them to see if they can help as they did for me … beer3|nullxnull

3 Likes

This was form a stress transplant, you can see how I trimmed and the final result … beer3|nullxnull

4 Likes

My plants dont start in that large, waste of canopy space under lights, I start in plastic starter cubes , go to 3 gallon( they earn their way out showing sex at 6 weeks), then 10 gallon to really take some time and stretch, then finish in a 20 gallon giving plenty of room to continue to veg and allowing space for the flowering stretch.
Well I’m in az, today’s current temp is 115 and a humidity of about 8%, in my Greenhouse with the swamp cooler on high, two additional fans to scatter the incoming air and a 2 x2 foot roof panel taken out I get about a 25-30 degree temp drop and lots of air flow. Molds and root rot are not main concerns here as that’s more of a concern if someone is watering daily in a stagnant air area not using fabric pots. The problem created here was my dad was in town visiting and put off my regularly scheduled watering(every 4-5 days depending how plants look) and didn’t see how thirsty they really were till late in the morning a day or two late when heat already was setting it and drying out and heating up the roots. Went out there in a panic and just soaked as much soil as I could in each pot just trying to get roots cooled and water in the medium and seen a small amount of recovery in the following few hours but still looks sad, that evening I misted the leaves down after the direct sunlight was no long a risk for light burn and what’s showing life is hanging in there, just trying to look at the big picture, with the lack of yield I’m gonna get from this is it in my best interest to just start over with all the soil and start over vegging for 3 months again or spend the next month letting em recoup for a extremely reduced yield

Autos I’ll start in the starter cubes and put em straight into a 5-10 gallon smart pot, never seen one really demand more soil than that but strains like Bruce banner 3 def was sized perfect in a 10gallon that auto was a vigorous and big sativa by the time she was done and her root mass filled most the pot

Heat stress and transplant stress aren’t really apples to apples bud, I’m very familiar with transplant stress and they will always snap back from it as long as tap root wasn’t broke. This is completely different as mine got cooked, I guess I’m hoping for someone to chime in with some miracle cure for root recovery to bring back my foliage and nodes.

If u would have never cut it, that center node would have stood back up over night…