Help for a finicky seedling?

I’m doing the opposite first :laughing: Yesterday I planted a Chemdawg x Sunshine Daydream from Bodhi (freebie, but I’ll absolutely grow this out if it’s healthy!), using the same medium, same batch of Rapid Rooters, etc. Will be a couple weeks before I can judge its health relative to these A13, but hopefully this little experiment can teach us a thing or two.

4 Likes

Dang! @oranje testing out his dirt with Bodhi gear!?!?

Must be nice!

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Jake

6 Likes

I would moisten the pot flip it and slide the container off to check your roots if the media has roots all over the place should be good then ,lack of roots could mean they didn’t get past the rapid rooter cube try it won’t hurt anything upsize the container if the roots are encircling the pot.

2 Likes

I use upside down rapid rooters on a regular basis with no problems and have for years. Many people do. That isn’t scientific evidence it is ok but thought i would add some info.

2 Likes

jesus… a sick bodhi cross. you are brave good sir!

2 Likes

I lol’d. I’m pretty sure my soil is fine, and like @CannabianDad said upthread, these A13 babies have pretty narrow band for their happy place – I just don’t know where that band is.

So as to not seem crazy/stupid/spoiled, allow me to explain my train of thought for using a Bodhi freebie:

As a Law Abiding Citizen, I have a cap on the total number of plants I can grow, regardless of their stage of life. In order to start a new seed, I had to sacrifice one of my clones (which is fine, as I usually clone in pairs), and this new seedling occupies one of my Legal Grow Slots until the experiment is over. Possible outcomes of this experiment are:

• The not-A13 seedling is plagued with the same problems, and something really unfortunate is going on in my setup.
  • The not-A13 seedling has completely different problems, and I should hang up my gardening gloves and become an asphalt spreader.
  • The not-A13 seedling does just fine, and I get a viable plant.

Ignoring my post count in “Sick Plants & Problems,” aside from these A13s, every bean I’ve gotten to germinate I’ve managed to grow into a clone-able adult thus far. So, from past experience sprinkled with a dash of optimism, I think option 3 is the most likely outcome. And, if I have a seedling taking up one of my Law Abiding Citizen grow slots, I want it to be something I’d want to grow to completion :wink:

I had 3 freebie packs to choose from:

• Bodhi: Chemdawg x Sunshine Daydream (10)
  • K.O.S.: The Tombs (3)
  • Nirvana: “Freebies” (10)

I’d go with the Nirvana freebies if I thought the plant would suffer a horrible fate, but I’d be pretty “meh” if the Nirvana seedling survived and thrived – I’d probably grow it out, say “this is fine,” and then replace that gene line with one of the Bodhi seeds because I’ve heard nothing but good things about them :smile:

7 Likes

The bad news: here’s the A13 seedling, 28 days after germination. Gave it a mild feeding this week because that’s not a happy green, but it did not respond well:

The not-yet-bad news, here’s the Bodhi Chemdawg x Sunshine Daydream, 5 days after germination. Nothing alarming so far, though maybe growing a tad slower than I’d like. We’ll see how I feel next week.

3 Likes

I have high hopes for you. The Apollo, is that Bodhi’s backcross?

2 Likes

Negative, the Apollo 13 is the Brothers Grimm 2016 re-release, acquired through Seedsman because I couldn’t find a US source who had it in stock.

I’ve got high hopes for the Chemdawg x Sunshine Daydream, not much hope for the A13 at this point. I appreciate your well wishing, though, and will update when appropriate :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I had a rubbish experience with Apollo 13 but from a different breeder, i had reserva privada ap13 indica offering and germ rates were 0/13.

Imo i would of cut off those bottom dead leaves as there not offering anything to your plants, just slowly dieing off.

Have you thought about giving them some foliar spray of something like canna rhizotonic? Could help your plants kickstart some new root growth.

Also your plants look hungry so maybe a light foliar spray of a light feed and see how she reacts.

Cannabis is a extremely hardy plant, will take more than a few crispy leaves and a small rootball to stop her.

2 Likes

Try the liquid kelp,after switching off the light

Assuming you mean a kelp foliar feed, I tried this on the first two… didn’t seem to help.

Anyway, here are my 34 day-old A13 seedlings:

… and here is my CDxSSDD at day 11:

… I’m a little worried at the growth rate for CDxSSDD, but it still looks pretty happy. Most of the second set of leaves has happened over the past 2 days, so I expect growth rate to start picking up rapidly.

1 Like

I understand you don’t believe it to be a problem, but i try to bury my rapid rooters. I think it helps keep moisture constant through the pot. My neurotic side couldn’t handle seeing that foam sticking out of the soil all the time either. Ha! Ha! You do what you do however and i will enjoy watching. :grin:

2 Likes

Hahaha…I have the same thoughts!
I would bury the stems almost up to the cotyledons.

3 Likes

Yeah fine I’ll bury then :grin: jerk ryasco always being helpful, patient, and nice all the time.

In other news, I decided to murder the runt-ier of the two A13 to see what the root development could tell me. Though the roots were white and didn’t look diseased, they were definitely thin/whispy, and looked to be lacking in vigor about as badly as the plant above. After popping it out of the pot, I didn’t see any roots at all and the soil crumbled away… because it wasn’t being held together with roots. A couple dozen roots had emerged from the RapidRooter, but then seemed to give up.

We’ll see how the CDxSSDD is doing in a week. Also I might have accidentally started some other beans in completely different soil, and then mixed up my own coco+compost starting mix for more experimentation. A13 beans are going in long-term storage so I can try again as a not-terrible grower :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

My advice is to try a different soil for sprouting your A-13 seedlings.

I recommend a sterile soilless mix, like Sunshine #4, or Pro-Mix HP. Water with little to zero nutrients until they look hungry (after 2nd true set of leaves usually imo). Young seedling don’t need nutrients.

…and keep them dry. Make them beg you for water, then only give them a sip.
Good-Luck :+1: Your other stuff looks great.

2 Likes

I agree with the top two statement about getting that top of the plug buried it goes the the same with Veggies in peat/cow pots which people usually tear off the top and plant, it acts as a wicking mechanism for the rest of the plug which could effect the roots!

2 Likes

Sunshine and promix are both garbage. The Peat is chopped up and dried in a kiln for sterilization then steamed hot to get it wet to make it seem fresh. You can buy a bale of sphagnum peat moss for 1o bucks and a big bag of perlite for 5 and itll work better then either of those bags

totally agree with this. The overall look of the seedlings tells me the soil mix is way off. You dont mess with foliar feeding or fertilizing seedlings this young. I like Pro-mix better than Sunshine, but I like to get the professional-level Promix products, not the ones sold at Home Depot. I just got a couple 2.8 cf loose-fill bags of Promix BX at the garden store and it was excellent quality base for my super-soil.

I highly recommend using pre-made cannabis soils for small gardens, it’s foolproof and will yield killer organic flowers. It will be 2-3 times the cost of simple Promix but worth it if you’re just starting out, you don’t need to buy anything else or amend anything. Two that I can personally vouch for are Michigan M3 medical MJ mix, and Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, they make it just like I do:

http://www.m3michiganmademix.com/about-the-m3-mix

1 Like

I have (and love) Stonington’s Blend, but isn’t this way too hot for starting seeds? I’m trying a couple beans in Coast of Maine’s generic organic potting mix with extra perlite right now (they germinated and are green, so far so good). I also made a mix of 1pt coco : 1pt compost : 1pt perlite yesterday and am trying to germinate a bean in that – no results yet :grin:

It’s possible that the bag of Happy Frog I’m working through has… something weird going on. On one hand, I had no problem germinating seeds with the same bag in the spring, and at least some of the soil for each of my flowering girls came from the same bag (25% for the supersoil plants, upto 100% for one of the bottle-fed plants). On the other hand, I’ve had some really weird problems in veg over the past couple months, but those don’t seem tied to a specific bag/brand of soil either, and seem much more likely to be pH-related.