Here we grow again... Magic Melon, Pineapple Express, Death Star

Welcome to OG, we hope you do plan on staying around awhile and not just one post. Apparently you do grow so you’ll find everyone welcoming to your sharing pics and a peek into your setup.

@MyrtleGrounds what’s next ? Don’t let that little fiasco stop you in your tracks. Wet them beans and show off that grow.

5 Likes

@Floyd I’m not trying to be dramatic here, but putting rockwool into soil is fucked lol I’ve tried it…

2 Likes

I also have done it. The only problem I ever had was stem rot. Which is easy to see. I don’t see that in the pics. But we both agree on skip the rockwool entirely. :smiley:

4 Likes

@Floyd it wasn’t too too bad when they were young, but yeah it gets downright ugly later on. Algae, rot, and outgrowing the cube…it was no bueno… Also OP wasnt feeding nutes in solution, right? That’s a must when starting in rockwool, as the plant will need nutrients.

2 Likes

Wait, so you saw that he was using rockwool like this?

I find your username highly offensive. Lol. Na but for real, postal guys seem to have it pretty rough these days. And it seems like we are relying on them more and more unfortunately. Best not to tick them off.

1 Like

We have it really rough! Before my shoulder injury an restriction I was working 6 days a week at 12 a day for 70 to 80 hrs a week for about last 2 years! So at the time the name was really fitting! Lol

6 Likes

Welcome to the family @Griftee , glad you could join us.

2 Likes

@Griftee Welcome to OG! You must have some strong feelings for rockwool.

LOL -I have to agree. I have tried it for a few types of plants and I just don’t seem to have any luck with it.

This time I started my plants in eggshells.

14 Likes

Umm, egg shells… Ok that is just too cool. :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Who knows, it could end up being my new go to way to start seeds.
Kinda fun, anyway.

3 Likes

I think it’s really cool and imaginative. They stand up, hold soil, their container makes a perfect holder and totally organic. They even protect from the light. Awesome.

3 Likes

This is very interesting.

Did you pop holes in the bottom of the shells?

Did you give them a good rinse?

Do you plan to remove the shell when you transplant?

Did you make an omelette?

So many questions.

7 Likes

Thanks for the welcomes.

They look cool, I’ll give them that. But make sure to leave them behind when potting up. Those aren’t gonna decompose fast enough for your seedlings.

3 Likes

@Foreigner
Pinterest and Weed, what can I say. Actually, it entered my brain, so I googled it and found a couple of methods for using eggshells for seedlings. I figured I’d give it a go.

Yes, I poked a few holes in the bottom, and removed or tore the membrane.
I rinsed them (really well) inside and out.
I think the egg shell will be cracked - from the drain holes. It’s pretty fragile and is already not extremely sturdy. if it’s cracked enough I’ll remove whatever parts of it that I can. I’ll let you know how it turns
out. @Griftee (I appreciate the info buddy) Have you tried this before?
I do have some backup seeds waiting in case it’s a fail.
And YES, I do sometimes make an omelette. My husband however, makes a great omelette so I only make them occasionally! :laughing:

4 Likes

I’ve not done this exactly before, but i have composted egg shells before. They’re a great way to add calcium. You can process them into a liquid fertilizer with boiling water as well. Or you can crush them up and top dress the soil.

4 Likes

… i feel for you guys… Thats crazy work you were putting in… I’m betting you have some beautiful calves to show for it though… thank you for your service…

2 Likes

Got 4 great healthy clones I purchased still in rockwoll that are now in 1 and 2 gallon pots of promix hp nothing wrong with rock wool. Just need to ensure it doesn’t get over watered till its fully rooted out or the rock woll can rot your stem. But if you wait till it’s fully dry it’s no problem. Welcome to og @Griftee

6 Likes

Quite the cozy little corner you have there…
Peaceful and serene!!

Looks real nice.
Waiting to see some happy healthy roots busting out of your new go.

Grace and Peace
Iggy

2 Likes

I recon she can just give the shells a good squeeze prior to transplant and they will be on their way,
assuming the soil is in good order,
Dr. Earth is mostly discarded shroom farm media?
What other soil amendments in there? Very small bag of castings.
Nice root growth for a few days then down hill?
Roots look good,were out of the rock wool and plants not showing stem rot, but they do look a little over watered to me.?
I would say the soil needs to be reworked(amended) and/or feeding/water schedule of some sort. (living soil !!!), IMHO

4 Likes

Indeed, NOT 'NUFF natural nutrients in media composition, as noted. Good observation, roots look fine. Have used egg shells to BOTH start veg seeds, sprinkle finely crushed shells into EACH seedling’s hole when transplanting, also, if outside, top dress/sprinkle same to deter slugs (they hate it, clogs their membrane). Rock wool holds a LOT of water!!! Get the soil composition adjusted and you’ll be “off to the races”, Checkered Flag in sight. SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes:

4 Likes