Failure to thrive

Purple haze seedling (fem) 3 weeks old, recently transplanted. This seedling has been kinda odd straight from the beginning. First set of leaves were misshapen and always curled a bit down. Leaves are papery and curled, currently minimal development of branches (compared to other seedlings same age). The other purple haze seems to have similar issues although not as extreme and there is some development of branches.

Just as a point of comparison, you can see the other seedlings are looking nice and green (plus a bunch of newborns)

So what do you think is up and how can I fix this

3 Likes

Plant looks dry to me. Are you watering thoroughly? At 3 weeks the roots will be extensive you canā€™t just wet the surface.

What medium are you in? Feeding?

4 Likes

Low pH. Check your runoff.

Look underfed as well but your primary target is proper runoff pH around 6.0-6.5.

6 Likes

I didnā€™t consider underwatering as I associate the curling leaves with overwatering. The plants are in fox farms potting mix and and also using their liquid fertilizer. I guess I need to increase there as I was using seedling dilution.

4 Likes

Iā€™m going to say PH as well.

1 Like

Which fox farm soil are you in? Looking at plant size and container size I imagine in happy frog or ocean forest they would still have nutrients available to them.

3 Likes

They look about the same, so itā€™s hard. I see very dry soil though which makes me suspect more under than over.

Under watering could cause low nutrient uptake would it not? Maybe that explains the underfed look? Just speculation.

4 Likes

This is what Iā€™m thinking

1 Like

Ocean forest, I gave em a big drink before I left for work this morning couldnā€™t find my ph tester that will have to wait

Iā€™m not the most organized person, ADHD and all lol

Thanks all for the help, Iā€™ll update for more assistance as needed

You guys are the best :smiley:

1 Like

Looks like you may be running you QB on max real close to the plants too. Iā€™d definitely confirm the PH of the runoff, but you may want to try dimming or raising your light more. Itā€™s best to kind of ramp up the intensity of the light for such young plantsā€¦ just my $0.02

1 Like

So the last time I grew indoors I was using MH / HPS and I was told if it doesnā€™t burn your hand, youā€™re good (at least thatā€™s what I remember). I had a very, very competent partner who handled almost all the technicals and this LED stuff is all new to me. The current setting passed the hand test easily.

1 Like

So MH/HPS lighting will emit a lot more heat through IR, so thatā€™s typically the heat youā€™re feeling on your hand from those sources. LEDs put out a ton of light, but most of the heat from them gets absorbed through the heatsinks, or dissipated at the board level, so you wonā€™t feel the heat on your hand the same way you will with HPS/MH. I know the temptation is to put the light as close to the plants as you can and blast them, because more is better, right? IME with LEDs, they will put out so much light that they can actually stress the plant a bit, from being blasted all the time. I try to find a happy level by dimming my light some and seeing if the leaves perk up and start ā€œreachingā€ for the light, with their leaf tips pointed upwards. Then gradually raise the light levels until they can handle full blast. LED seems to drive the plantā€™s metabolism pretty hard, I find they need an adjustment period. Hope that helpsā€¦

2 Likes

Why are you using synthetic nutes in living soil?

If you donā€™t trust your soil then use pure cococoir or whatever dead medium works best for nutes.

So many people are having major problems combining two completely opposite growing methods.
It seems to utterly confuse the plants. Kinda like ordering a salad and a coke at McDonaldā€™s, itā€™s weird.

Synthetic nutes disrupt the balance the microbes and fungi attempt to create.

Choose one or the other and go all the way in that direction.

2 Likes

? Because Iā€™m a dumbass? I figure folks seemed to like the brand well enough, and there is was in my local garden shop (the nice one, not home depot lol)ā€¦the packaging was pretty, same brand and it matched. In my world that usually worksā€¦like Garanimals. Iā€™m not looking for super complex, Iā€™d just like to not kill a plant that shouldnā€™t be too difficult to grow.

2 Likes

Have they been in Ocean Forest since the beginning? Or you just transplanted into OF? Iā€™ve found OF to be little ā€˜hotā€™ for plants sometimes, and the ph can be off. At this stage, all they should be using is water, imo. Thereā€™s plenty of nutrition in OF to get them pretty big.

2 Likes

No regular plain organic potting mix

1 Like

lol donā€™t be too hard on yourself. Weā€™re all learning here. I once called someone silly for cutting their plants down instead of just cutting the buds off because at the time, that made sense to me.

If youā€™re using living soil the dirt should take care of 90% of what your plant needs and you can do some extra with top dressing and fish emulsion, but using bottle nutes will kill a lot of things youā€™re trying to cultivate in a living soil Itā€™ sort of like buying a hybrid and then putting racing fuel in it. The car isnā€™t made for it so youā€™re just spending quite a lot of money to put fuel into it that will probably do more harm than good.

2 Likes

When did they start looking sad? Right after the transplant or after feeding them nutes?

They may just need some plain water and LIFTA

1 Like

The purple haze have been sad all along. One more so than the other.

1 Like

Iā€™m going for plain water and LITFA. All the plants looked MUCH happier this morning, although the one purple haze is still sadder than the rest.

So questionā€¦no nutes with ocean forest for how long?

4 Likes