History of Overgrow.com

Welcome O-B! I like the way all the legal states in the eastern half of the country are Northern states. maybe winter makes us smarter? :smile::smile:

3 Likes

Stumbled on to some old “grow” stuff I had squirreled away. Bring back any memories for anyone? If anyone wants any of this stuff I’d be happy to make it available.

10 Likes

Hey @Prince, any chance you have some Higher resolution copies of that Overgrow landing page screen shot?

1 Like

@Weedmaps
Sorry, I don’t think so but I’ll look

3 Likes

I’ve got an old hard drive someplace that may have some of the old OG on it, if it will still fire up and run that is. I wonder if we see the full on end of prohibition if Archive.org will ever bring OG back. It was there for a long while after the shut down but it finally disappeared from there too. While some of it would surely be dated at this point it would make for a fun stroll down memory lane.

4 Likes

@LemonadeJoe has og been back since 2016?!?!?!?!!

3 Likes

Yes, we went live in August 2016 so exactly 10 years after the demise of OG1.0.

7 Likes

Lj and Crew,
I thank you for the love and dedication you have all shown!!! This site has changed my life!! Made me a better person and has allowed me to meet amazing people!
Love, peace, chicken grea
I mean love and peace
I need the chicken grease for gravy!

14 Likes

Very cool stuff. The crazy thing is I was never part of it
 I did end up on home brewing beer forums and I’m surprised I didn’t think of growing, and I loved forums. I was sort of a loner where I was in regards to smoking pot
 I knew nobody anymore my age that was from the old days. So, I never heard of OG.

Was there ever any indication of any of the members being hassled? Maybe I read where they actually never seized that info?

OG seems to be doing pretty well these days. It’s a clean site. Nothing to hide really.

I hope the powers that be, in regards to our freedom, realize that this site is also a wonderful example of a civilized community built on trust, giving, and empathy. I sure can’t think of another place like this. I get incredible energy coming here and talking with like minded people from all over the world.

Long live Overgrow!

10 Likes

Not that I know of
 We would have probably known by this time because members at the time migrated as refugees to other forums.

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking, too
 It seems that information would have made it onto the other forums since that’s how everyone finally found out about the closing.

So, did OG just get caught up in their seed business bust or was OG sort of set up to make it all happen easier? Cool stories.

3 Likes

When og went down there were very few sites like it so it stood out much more then It does now. The overgrow the government movement gained alot of attention and when Marc Emery went down everything around him was affected. He was a thorn in the side of the government and they made a example out of him and the site was a bonus. RC didn’t seem to get in any trouble though and still lives in Canada, thankfully he is no longer involved in the site , I wouldn’t be here if he was.

7 Likes

I was here During those days
 I’m using same screen name i was a regular at Overgrow, Cannabis World,As well i had an “EZ-Board” site Called The Growers Gallery, was involved With JRS, and Med seed project as well.Also worked with others at Cannabis Compassion Corner
This was back in the heyday of weed meets internet
I ran my site off of a server on a small island Tokelau off of New Zealand— at one point all sites went down except a few of us smaller ones then it was over took till recently for it to come back----

2 Likes

yes we did

1 Like

Bubbleman -------- STOLE ICE-WATER Hasj from Mila the Queen of Hasj
 It wasnt his idea nor his invention .Mila is based in Amsterdam and was at the time as well. he stole her process and patented his “bags” The Idea was hers it was the “Ice-O-Lator” system that first washed trichomes from trimmings. I was in Amsterdam the Year Ice water hash was born-----it could only be had at Milas and the Katsu---- “Bubbleman” took it and ran with it. Anyone around in those days and was hangin in Amsterdam and at any of the cannabis cups knows how this all went down
between the shops tumbling all the bud in amsterdam to create kief, and then collecting all the "throw away "trimmings to create ice water hash —the dutch were as usual at the forefront of the culture and in all reality this was the birth of concentrates—sorry i still have thing in my craw about that Canadian stealing Milas deal------

13 Likes

WOW I just read this brief history of OG such beautiful memories! I signed up in the early days around 2001 cannot tell when exactly but i didn’t know anything then. First experiences were in that active chatroom it was so much fun and i got those little very first tips on how to go about growing, i was still in the research phase and the community was great and eager to help out. Through those first years, i learned everything i needed through OG it was crucial for me, it was my home. When it was out, i kept typing overgrow in the search bar every now and then. I never forgot about it always wondered if it ever will be back. I even kept the link for the old growfaq that was saved elsewhere. It was a very happy surprise to me to find it after more than a decade later revived.

4 Likes

Beautiful. But it would sound better adding the sparkle of sunshine that Den Activist was.

Not to self-lube but
I was there. And while the only non-pot smoking female member on there- and the “hottest.” Never mind only one person back then knew what I looked like.

To help add more history to this thread, please add Den Activist. ~Shabang said he wrote me in the code. I advocated and we got a women’s forum, the political forum (I didn’t have to advocate much for that one. Most members wanted it.

• I remember the guys slipping into the women’s forum to see what women were talking about.

The Philosophy forum. That was a battle. Because despite all the talk about getting “creative” after smoking pot and quoting Bruce Lee’s wisdom and philosophy
 lol Those were great days.

Not only did I advocate for the girls’ or women’s forum, the political forum, and the philosophy forum, I used to “slum it” in the tank- OldPink’s phrase. There weren’t very many women in the Political forum. It was just the two of us, Topaztic and me- and our many other handles.

It was at OG that I learned to observe the community around me. I learned that if men thought I was a man behind the handle, I got more respect than if I used my own voice. Sexism became a real concept to me. I also learned that women were sexually attracted to me if I passed as Señor Marijuano. The role was that of the coolest pot smoker in the world. I used to through out the “Yo, ese, relax.” The character didn’t let anyone mess with his high.

That’s not all. Me, as Den Activist, had the very FIRST OG calendar. OG Gurrls or something like that. And the guys’ calendar. Great experience. Members sent or posted their pictures to participate. I also started the first online charades game on OG.

• The poetry contest! How can I forget?

I started the thread that got the most views in the shortest amount of time. Hundreds of thousands of views in a matter of minutes. All because I was wrongfully accused by two members that didn’t care for me. I explained that what I said was distorted. They didn’t believe me. I decided to give them a taste of their own medicine and started lying. That got them upset but that’s what they wanted and needed to hear. Oh! There was also a tribunal. I can’t take the credit for that. I was the DA.

I enjoyed myself fully. And I thank ~Shabang and OP for allowing me to fully enjoy the site even though people complained that I shouldn’t be there because I didn’t smoke pot.

One for posterity.

9 Likes

My curious the seed wars and what happened around that. There is a fella not to far from me that I believe was involved and I’m trying to see what I can pull together. There’s some things that don’t make sense. And 20 years almost since it happened. But worth a shot. If you have links or anything pertaining to it DM me to discuss. Have a blessed evening and thank you for the history!

1 Like

Bump it up

3 Likes

This thread at thc farmer helps dive a little deeper into overgrow history and is a great read either way!

9 Likes