Hobbies and stuff

that is a great skill to have. Love going to the NY state fair and see them clean comb and spin the wool near the animal sheds

1 Like

I’ve been buying it so it’s ready to spin but I want to get self-sufficient enough to be able to produce my own. Usually they use hemp which has very little THC or whatever it’s called and it’s also grown tall and close together so it gets tall with very few stems on the side

1 Like

How hemp fabric is made

3 Likes

Here is a docu about that, sorry, it is in spanish.
This guy have a series of docs of ancient jobs and how they were made… the old way

Happy growings

2 Likes

Intriguing that you can make and weave hemp fabric…great hobby!

I want to start working glass as a hobby…stained glass, pipes, custom stills, tile etc; pretty stuff – would also like to get into book binding!!! For the most part my life revolves around business, so I consider that my main hobby… business that is.

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing @BeeLady, a great hobby is a valuable asset as age creeps up on us.

Are you a beekeeper too? I keep a population of Blue Orchard Bees to pollinate my little fruit tree orchard. No honey, but they are the sweetest little bees to have around.

-Grouchy
PS, Never met a fly fisherman (or woman) I didn’t like!

4 Likes

That’s super cool @BeeLady i tie all my own flies as well, basement looks like a fly shop with all kinds of feathers and fur on the walls :joy:

2 Likes

knew i liked you for a reason. i no longer have a spare room just for my desk and fly gear, rods, waders etc. but my spare room used to look identical. atm its all in dressers, closets, boxes and my garage but i know the feels. @LegsMahoney . @BeeLady i love the idea of harvesting and utilizing your own products . its just right imho. i try and use found materials alot like feathers, wool and stuff from thrift shops, and hit up estate sales and find lots of cool stuff at those. But i would love to utilize my own products i have grown, harvested. A good friend owns a fly shop and purchases allot of stuff from local farmers as well. i really love the idea. if only i wasnt in the city.

4 Likes

Thank you. The hemp industry could really change our dependence on coconut fiber for a lot of applications, I think. It could be a homegrown commodity vs something we depend on entirely from third world countries, that uses a lot of fossil fuels to ship to North America. Not sure how much people have actually looked at what would be needed in the supply chain infrastructure to make that shift tho bc there needs to be many different ways people/farmers/companies would come into play- farmers, shippers, processors, then the end manufacturer for whatever product is being made. Would take a lot to get it all lined up but could be handled entirely here vs. Tiny countries like Sri Lanka where most of the coco fiber comes from.

3 Likes

Dang, that is really cool! Good for you keeping an old tradition alive, you should be proud!

My only hobbies are plants.

2 Likes

@BeeLady I haven’t seen an old spinning wheel like that since I was last up visiting my grandmother. Should probably do that soon again here

1 Like

That’s awesome @BeeLady that’s a great skill to have!
Thanks for sharing! Beautiful wheel you have there as well!

1 Like

yup. i have 2 hives so far one langstroth the other a warre

2 Likes