Hobbies and stuff

My major hobby besides growing plants. Is spinning fiber. It’s one reason I like hemp. Medicinal and useable for other things. I spin on drop spindle regular spinning wheel, and I also have a great wheel. That’s over 200 years old. I’ve even had classes at church for those who wanted to learn.

48 Likes

Pretty cool and a great skill to have. Closest I come to that is making reverse wrap two ply cordage in the woods.

6 Likes

Very cool. Does working with hemp fibre present a unique set of challenges?

3 Likes

Last few days I’ve been cleaning carding and spinning alpaca fiber for a friend. I get half of it

4 Likes

Most plant based do. I actually have some hemp fiber I’m going to spin when I get a chance. It can actually be really soft when done

4 Likes

Cool hobby. I’ve always wondered how yarn, thread and braided fishing line was made. One of my favourite hobbies is fishing and I use braided line.

4 Likes

Keeping the old traditions alive, impressive!

4 Likes

Wow, interesting skill.

I like that “old” skills that nowadays are becoming forgotten.

There is a documental series in youtube from “Eugenio Monesma”, about old jobs in spain, very very interesting. From making of ropes, to making clothes with hemp, … is a must see.

Happy growings.

4 Likes

Awesome hobby, and the wheel is so beautiful!

It does, however, look like a dangerous hobby… :rofl:

950bd2843d83ddf5f98f330e4cc6dddcb2aa7e21_2_666x500

5 Likes

You ever get up here where I live let’s go fishing. I have tackle that makes most men drool lol. And I can make my own lures and flies

9 Likes

Lol. That was from barbed wire. Sliced my finger open lol

4 Likes

I saw the one on rope making. Awesome skill to have!

3 Likes

Very cool, always loved watching the big machines and how intricate of a process it is.

2 Likes

Just noticed you tie flies as well! Awesome! I’ve been doing so for many many years and enjoy it very much as do all of my friends as I tend to keep everyone’s fly boxes full in the off season lol. I’d imagine you can utilize a lot of the fibers in the fly tying process as well. My box has a ton of different wools, threads, feathers and furs among other things. Now I’m even more intrigued

3 Likes

I also have Angora Rabbit which I spin the wool. but I also can use it for fly tying. I don’t usually go off any patterns but just what feels right and what I think they might be biting on. Not to mention turkeys chickens with roosters ducks, and geese squirrel which is wild obviously but they sometimes end up in my soup pot.

2 Likes

You spin barbed wire? You’re one tough lady!

1 Like

Ever tried using your leftover main branches on a harvest and trying for hemp fabrics?

1 Like

Lol no I live on a farm but yeah, I do have to ply the barb wire when I’m connecting two pieces lol

1 Like

I actually want to try that they have to be as long as possible for the right fiber

1 Like

This is really awesome! Beautiful work!

I’m curious how the process of taking a whole hemp plant and breaking it down for fiber works. Is that your starting point- the harvested plant, or does it come to you processed in some way in order to spin it?

2 Likes