Will this work for collecting pollen?

I’ve identified this male Mr Nasty from Exotic and I’d like to collect some pollen. I have a little micro tent that is used for photography that has some little LEDs built in.

Will this be enough to collect some pollen? Just poked some cuttings thru a piece of paper and put the stems in a cup of water with a little bit of nutrient diluted into it

Apparently a cpl of weeks under 12/12 i should get some pollen?

9 Likes

take the paper away and use some flat card to collect your polen.
you need about 30 watts of light for the male, maybe less. you can put it in a window with 12/12 hrs of light/dark and still collect pollen

3 Likes

The lights are 30w

The pollen is gonna slide off th3 paper and collect on the white backking card underneath the cup if you look closely

3 Likes

How close to dropping pollen is this plant, I wasnt aware you could cut and separate like this.

This would help me to NOT pollinate a whole room… again.

3 Likes

Nice and clean. I don’t see why not.

3 Likes

Should be ok. How far along are the pollen sacks?

I just put my males sideways and let them drop pollen on newspaper.

Best of luck.

6 Likes

I found preflowers in veg and cut some branches off and took em so theyve just started

1 Like

It should work, but I was advised to use a collection surface where the pollen can be easily collected, whatever I used a while back, most of it seemed smudged on the surface

2 Likes

Theres a piece of backing card on the bottom of the tent that will be very easy to collect the pollen from

1 Like

Yeh I read that post, I was just remembering all my pollen smoodged around :wink:

1 Like

Update: this worked but i didnt get a huge amount of pollen. Enough to play with tho. Will use foil in future as collecting/scraping pollen off paper is a pain

2 Likes

Not sure if you’re familiar with cupcake tech but you just cut a slit, slide it underneath some pollen sacs, and tape it closed. Works awesome.

20 Likes

I’ve never seen that one, but it is brilliant. :+1::seedling:

7 Likes

Definitely not an original idea I’ve seen it done many times. Once all the pollen drops, I cut the stem right above the cupcake cups & just slide them up off the main stem. The ridges on the walls kind of act as a funnel & you can pour pollen straight into centrifuge tubes. :v:

5 Likes

I usually angle a male over a sheet of aluminum and pluck the stems a few times and watch the plums of pollen fall sometimes the pollen is a little moist and sticks to the foil…but after maybe a hour I’m able to collect the pollen that was extra moist. It’s tedious but it works.

4 Likes

I use newspaper

I saw this a while back- curious if anyone has ever done it for their cannabis pollen?

Yeah but I don’t want fibers in with the pollen

Has anyone ever gathered the pollen sacs and let them dry out to collet pollen?

1 Like

Yes, but the resulting pollen wasn’t very viable. I think I got a total of three seeds.

1 Like