Morphology or Genetic expression?

Hey all. I’m fairly new to this site but I’ve been online in the space since 2014 (mostly Trollitup), and have been growing on and off since '94. My first couple weeks on the site have been great. Og seems a much more active, positive, and helpful community than the other sites I’ve been apart of . Anyway, on to the topic…

I have a strain that I’ve been growing since 2018 called Orkle (Purple Urkle x Tahoe Og). I cloned my favorite pheno and have produced S1s and F1s from it. Unfortunately I lost the clone, but have continued working with the seed stock that I have. I say all this only to establish that I’m pretty familiar with this line. So on to my question.

I have noticed something odd that happens every once in a while when i run the S1s. I’ll have what appears to be 2 different bud structures on the same plant. For those familiar with the parents of the strain you’ll know that OG Kush and Urkle both have a fairly recognizable bud structure. OG typically produces spear shaped flowers and Urkle produces round and super dense little grenade buds. Once in every 3 or 4 runs I get plant that has both of these structures on a single plant. My current run being one of them. My question is this…is it possible for a single plant to express multiple aspects of its genetic lineage or am I just seeing morphological differences resulting from environmental factors such as light intensity or location on the plant? Here are two pics that show examples of the differences.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

9 Likes

Dont have a good answer, but perhaps genetic mosaicism is at play.

Those look fire though.

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind words! She is a pain to grow, super prone to N toxicity, herms if you look at her wrong, and the VPD range she prefers is pretty narrow. Despite all that she remains my favorite strain for everyday use. Smells like a gassy blueberry muffin and tastes just like she smells. The high is sedative and blissful.
Genetic mosaicism sounds like a great description of what I had in mind when mulling over this phenomenon, I just don’t have enough knowledge about the ins and outs of phenotypic and genotypic expression to form any conclusions. Thanks again!

I know both and the answer is … both suppositions (+ little minor extras). Epigenetic just triggered both at a time, but it’s not necessary conflicting in the pheno.

Bud shape of one part can be linked with the trait A that is overstimulated, and one part can be linked with the trait B that is overstimulated as well. Giving the impression that both are kicking at the same DNA bit, but it’s very rarely the case (update : but always the case with polyploids ^^ sorry to let this dangerous hole previously) and specifically with cannabis on its floral qualities (full throttle priority for this annual).

4 Likes

Great insights! She is a very finicky strain, so I could definitely see environmental triggers causing varied expressions in the plant’s canopy. :evergreen_tree:

1 Like

I have not seen it cannabis but I have taken seedling of Japanese maples while weeding customers flower beds and they had multiple red and green j.maples. Well when one of the red seedlings reached about 12" it started growing some all green branches I even had people inspecting it as they said it was grafted. So I would think it would be possible to show 2 genetic expressions in other plants.

4 Likes

Oh yeah! Definitely possible to get both structures on the same plant since they’re slightly different traits causing each flower structure type.

Kinda like how you can grow dense round nuggets but take them too long and you sometimes get foxtails. Epigenetics kicking in to bring out that other structure so the flower can finish up as best as it think it can.

4 Likes

If the gene for the specific trait is on the x chromosome, it will usually only express the genes from 1 of the chromosomes not both xs. Which is chosen at random at some point in development of meristem then increased through growth. This is genetic mosaisicsm. And can be seen in female (xx) calico cats for a good visual representation. I’m not exactly sure if this is that though.

4 Likes

Great info! I suppose another example would be my childhood friend who had two different colored eyes.
One thing I find interesting as that the phenomenon only seems to happen with the S1 stock. I don’t remember the clone ever doing it, and the F1s haven’t yet either. :thinking:

1 Like

Except if the other is fully autosome by example, which is quite frequent unfortunately when we start to itch the sexual stability.

3 Likes