Hop on over to EBF's Lily Pad - emeraldbullfrog's grow log 🐸

Lemon G… didn’t that strain win the “DGC Cup” a couple years back? Small competition in Colorado. I hope you go forth with the Cap Junky also, that ones on my wish list. Always happy to have another grower back in the game.

Good luck and Happy Growing!

3 Likes

Pics of the Cayo from Sat Apr 13

The leaves would sometimes droop down inside the cups and sit in the water. Didn’t occur to me until tonight that I can trim that baby down so that the lower leaves won’t be a problem.

Would have saved me from a few blunders over the last week. Lessons incoming.

A Few Ways I Screwed Up

And some things I quickly learned
  1. Spraying water on plants from too close can leave big water drops on them. Big water drops can magnify the light. Plants can get light burns from this :scream: One leaf of the Cayo got nearly bleached white on the middle edge and one Hot Mess seedling has a similar spot on one of its cotelydons :man_facepalming:
    Lesson learned: be mindful while misting my plants, don’t leave them with water droplets with the lights on.

2. Had the bright idea of helping the clones take root if I fed them a mild foliar spray. Used my wife’s fertilizer spray for a tillandsia air plant (0.02-0.03-0.05). Feed weekly? I don’t see any progress that way and I love these plants dammit I’m spraying daily, sometimes twice daily or more because I forgot to refill the tiny water mister bottle and I’m lazy. Well I loved those plants alright, almost as hard as Lenny loved them rabbits George. Signs of possible nute burn on the tips of the Cayo, mild clawing. Stopped all nutes and clawing stopped shortly after.
    Lesson learned: easy does it, LITFA and be patient

3. Mentioned before, seedlings and some cuttings are in a medium that has poor drainage (75% worm castings, 25% “compost+biochar”). Staying mostly wet, only a few places with dry-ish on top after 5-6 days.
    Lesson learned: make ‘em work a tad to find water, try bottom watering

4. Humidity dome is too short so I’m using a clear plastic tub turned upside down, sprayed on the walls of the inside. At first I sprayed the ceiling and that seemed to make the light burn issue worse. Also there are no vents so I prop up the bottom off the floor and turn up my fan. But I think that this is partly why the seed trays are staying so wet. I have a 7” humidity dome on the way.
    Lesson learned: proper height is best, too tall a “dome” is harder to maintain environment

5. Lights too close at the start, 18-24” give or take. Caused issues. Moved lights up high at least 4’ and that seems better. Also showed stress the first time I turned the light up to 30-40% range. Keeping lights at 20-30% is best for now. Again, too much too fast.
    Lesson learned: when they say use low light they mean it. I might be better off with my old CFLs or the cheapo blurples that came with my too-short humidity dome.

6. Clone roots start out fragile AF. Had signs of roots on one Cap Junky. I moved the cup and the plant rolled along the rim. Tiny root was stuck to side of the glass and it ripped away from the stem. Waiting for signs of regrowth, trying to be optimistic.
    Lesson learned: BE CAREFUL, use a big enough cup to support the plant stem

I think that’s more than enough lessons for one day :sweat_smile:

A few more recent pics
Pic of the yellowing Lemon G yesterday, Wed Apr 17

Compared to yellowing today

Also some good news: Frankie is working on her true leaves!

Clearly the plant wants to use up the nutrients stored in those leaves :leaves:

9 Likes

HAPPY 420 EVERYONE!!

Here’s a tune to help start your day right.

Little Stranger - “Coffee and a Joint” :coffee: :fire:

I’ve been slowly upgrading things in the Tuba Fort. Got a properly sized humidity dome with 7” height so the clones all fit under the lid. Got some Wonder Soil seed plugs “wet and expand” to use as proper starting mix. It provides much better drainage than the mix the first seedlings and clones started in. And I picked up some Jack’s basic 20-20-20 fertilizer, with their Blossom Booster on the way. Slowly but surely I am getting more organized. Even a millimeter of progress is still progress.

The “dome” I was using before:

Compared to the one I have now

Also nabbed this handy dandy sprayer. This thing works great and creates a very fine mist.

Some plant updates. Last night the clones all came out of water cups and into seedling trays. Lemon G clones were removed from their old plugs and also put in the new Wonder Soil plugs. No roots had formed yet but one of the Gs didn’t want to pull out easily.

I followed the planting steps in this method from GrowWeedEasy and used rooting gel & powder prior to planting them in the plugs.

I also ensured that the plugs are wet to the touch but not overwatered. I have a very hard time with watering. If it’s a tad under watered that is probably better than overwatering.

Pics of the clones this morning when I opened the tent. At this point lights had been on for 8ish hours at 30%.

All clones together (L-R Cayo, Cap Junky, Lemon G)

Yellowing continues on the Lemon G

Closeup of yellowing. I’m not too worried yet bc this one has a strong stem.

CJ clones give me the most worry. Back one has a big lean, and front right has leaf stem turning purple.

Cayos all have strong strong stems. Could maybe use a trim to get rid of lower leaves. These obv are drooping significantly. Probably stress from new plug / less water than before, or also could be from having light at 30% power overnight when it’s normally at 20%.

Gave ‘em all a good misting this morning and put the dome back on with the vents wide open.

Here are the seedlings today. These are still in the slow-draining media (75% wc, 25% compost+biochar w/mycorrhiza). I don’t want to mess with these until they’re strong enough to transplant. Their soil keeps staying very, very wet so I am keeping this tray outside of the humidity dome where hopefully the moving air from the fans will help it to dry quicker.

Frankie and SBxSCBD are both reaching above their label sticks. Reaching for the sky

Praise the Sun
\|T|/ :sun_with_face:

Rose City Band - “Slow Burn”
(RIYL cosmic Americana, early ‘70s Grateful Dead)

Have a great 420, everybody!

7 Likes

Quick update: all clones and seedlings are still alive (somehow!)

Realized that my garage is getting too cold at night so I moved a space heater into the tent. Yesterday I got things set up mostly how I want them for temperature control, just need to tweak it a bit.

Ordered this AC Infinity heater (pre-order), hoping it gets here while I still can use it but if not then it’ll come in handy when the weather gets cold again.

Also ordered a shelf to fit inside the tent for seedlings & clones, using T5 lights mounted to the bottoms of the shelves. Should take up approx 25% of the space inside Tuba Fort with the remaining space available to use for vegging.

More updates & pics to follow soon
:v:

4 Likes

Big update time

Temps went from lows with frost warnings last week to high of 80s during the past few days, keeping the garage and Tuba Fort very warm. I would think almost too warm but the plants have responded well. For now that’s a good thing. In the near future I’ll need a solution to keep it from getting too hot in there.

A couple nights ago I pulled a bonehead move :man_facepalming: :skull_and_crossbones:
Normally I turn off the grow light when I open up the tent at night. I don’t want the bright light shining so obviously through my garage door windows. The other night I checked things just before bed and forgot to turn the lights back on, didn’t realize until late the next morning :grimacing: Not to worry, a nine hour dark period won’t mess anything up.

The important part is that the plants are healthy. (Most of the plants, that is.) Seedlings have been growing like heck. Probably overdue for a transplant. It’s getting crowded in their little 12 cell tray.

Seedlings as of this morning:

There are six of them crowded into this little tray, one strain per row. From the top row going down it is:

• (1) Hot Mess
  • (3) Gran Champagne
  • (1) Frankenstein
  • (1) Strawberry Banana x Santa Cruz Blue Dream.

This following pic shows the height differences, same order from L to R:

SBxSCBD is tallest while Frankie is a close second and also has the biggest leaves. The three Gran Champagne are shortest and all have a nice herby musk to them this early.

Clones are looking less uniform than the seedlings. Some are excellent, some are fair, and a couple probably need to be culled.

Good news first: two of the Lemon G have been solidly holding up their leaves and look happier by the day. The third LemG will need to be culled, it no longer has any full leaves so it won’t be able to photosynthesize even if it establishes roots.

Luckily I have confirmed root growth on the bottom LemG in this pic! This one will probably get transplanted at the same time as the seedlings.

All three Cayo Huesos are looking nice. Leaves standing out on all of them, practically no more drooping at all.

I could swear that there’s new growth on the tops of all of these and those two health LemGs.

Unfortunately the Cap Junky three are all looking worse than the other clones.

So far they still all have green on their tops, but a lot of yellow in the leaves. Somehow those “dead” looking leaves are not actually crunchy yet. I’m encouraged by the green tops and the hearty stems. Even the tall one in the corner is able to stand fully upright without support (wire removed after this pic was taken). They have good signs and bad signs :man_shrugging:

Even the worst looking Cap Junky is showing some healthy new growth. Trying to keep these until they decide to give up, right now they are teaching me a lot.

I’m planning to do a lot more with this space very soon. The next major focus is on transplanting the seedlings & Lemon G. I also have some hot pepper seeds on the way. That’s a great motivator for me to get the seedling / clone shelf set up. Plus I have a few more strains of cuttings safely stored in the fridge and I am eager to start working with them too :grin:

Leaving off with one of the songs I was playing for my plants the night I forgot to turn their lights back on.

:peace_symbol: :frog:

6 Likes

Looking good in here.
Those clones will bounce back for ya.

You will soon have some dam good weed to smoke. :wink:

2 Likes

Finally transplanted the seedlings. All six are now in 0.5 gal pots. All looking healthy considering i neglected them for the last few days. Frankie & SBxSCBD both showing signs of N deficiency in their lower leaves, partly from me keeping them too dry in the lead up to transplant. Pics of them to come tomorrow, for now I am whooped.

Mixed my own soil for the first time. Will need to mix more tomorrow. The Lemon G clones are ready to be transplanted as well. I checked their roots for the first time and they have more root growth than most of the seedlings. :flushed: Oops! Waited too long on those.

Here’s how the Lemon G both look right now. I’m a little confused by the leaves. There are signs of N toxicity from the clawing & slight nute burn, while the lower leaves seem to be showing N deficiency? This stuff is hard to figure out. :confounded:

The Cayo Hueso clones are doing something similar but to a lesser extent. All in all I’m happy with them but this had me baffled earlier today.

6 Likes

Happy Sunday night

‘Nother track from music the plants listened to today
Babe Rainbow - “Blue Hour” (Live)

Transplanted all six of the seedlings into half gallon pots late Friday night. I’m counting their uppotting date as Sat 5/4 so that’s my official start of veg for these babies.
:partying_face: :seedling: :seedling: :gift:
To recap, I have four strains being grown from feminized seeds:

• (1) Frankenstein by @JohnnyPotseed
  • (1) Strawberry Banana x Santa Cruz Blue Dream by @HeadyMcDank
  • (1) Hot Mess by Mendocino Twenty20
  • (3) Gran Champagne by Mendo Twenty20

In the future I would germinate either in Root Riot plugs or a light potting mix. That should increase my success rate compared to the mix of worm castings & compost/biochar that I used this time around. All 11 seeds germinated in paper towels but Gran Champage is the only strain to have all of them make it above ground.

Here’s all six of them on Sat 5/4 early afternoon, around 12 hours after transplant. Back row is Frankie & 2x Gran Champage, front row is SBxSCBD & Hot Mess & last GC.

Compared to today, Sun 5/5 around 10pm (just under 48hr since transplant). Four out of six are forming some nice prayer hands :pray: :prayer_beads: :sun_with_face:

One of the Gran Champagne is forming a spiral shape with its leaves. I think that’s pretty neat.

Also did some work on a few of the clones today. Didn’t plan on it but the roots showed me that it was past time. Fingers crossed that there’s no root rot, and for healthy growth to come :crossed_fingers:

Both of the Lemon G and the one biggest Cayo Hueso were moved to small grow bags with soil. The clones had been in Wonder Soil “plugs” in plastic trays - big mistake on my part! The wonder soil didn’t drain for shit in the trays. It’s a “wonder” that these are still looking as healthy as they are. A few days later and I think it would have been worse, they were starting to show signs of root rot.

Overall healthy but leaves showing some weird signs. Again, hoping that some time in these new bags with soil will help them out. I massaged the roots to get the wet wonder soil to loosen up and mix with the regular soil.

The rest of the clones have been moved to Root Riot plugs.
All had wet almost mushy tips in the wonder soil. Barely any roots on any of them. I trimmed some down before going into the Riot plots. We’ll see what happens there, time will reveal.

:peace_symbol: :frog:

10 Likes

Evening OG on this Wednesday night.

We got good things a-growin’ here at Bullfrog Garden. Spring is in the air, everything outside is getting greener while everything in my garden tent “Tuba Fort” is getting larger. The tent is starting to give off a nice smell when I open it :grin: and we’re barely out of seedling phase and into veg over here.

:seedling: :herb: :evergreen_tree:

The seedlings aren’t seedlings anymore. All six have taken well to their new 0.5 gallon pots. I’m happily surprised by the amount of growth they’ve shown so quickly after going into new pots.

The first two are both Gran Champagne, second row two are Gran Champagne and Hot Mess, third row of two are Strawberry Banana x Santa Cruz Blue Dream and Frankenstein.

Frankie looks to be the biggest, she was the first to spring into action after moving into the new pot! Thinking about when I should top any of these. The Gran Champagne look like they will grow the shortest and bushiest if left alone, while the other three seem like they’ll be taller. They all have at least three or four sets of true adult leaves now so I think topping can happen soon. I want to wait until at least one week after the transplant so that would be in a few days at the earliest. Some might have five sets of leaves by then.

I had my lights a tad too close and maybe too strong. Viparspectra manual says to keep them around 10-11” away and at 50% for veg. I kept them at 50% and about 9-10” away from the tops. As a result you can see the white tips on Frankensteins’s upper leaves, and also the SHxSCBD behind it.

I moved the light up an inch or two and going to back it down to 40% intensity for now. The rooted clones of Lemon G and Cayo are showing signs of too much light (they may also need a light feeding).

Got them all in small grow bags with soil, and after a day or two I gave them a bottom watering until the top was slightly moist. Roots are growing by the day. I forgot to take pics but I can see the difference just from morning to afternoon.

Notice how the Cayo has twisting leaves from the plant trying to get away from the light.

Finally, there are two more Cayo Hueso clones taking root under the dome. The dome is covered with a 90% shade cloth. Both of these are showing signs of root action in the Riot plugs.

Won’t be long before these are also in tiny grow bags next to the others! Everything is moving along sometimes faster than I expect. That’s what happens when you blunder your way through it all like I do!

Sadly, I had to toss the Cap Junky clones. Big lesson learned on damping off / root rot. None of them had any green left in their leaves, and two of them couldn’t stand up anymore. They taught me a lot of lessons considering that this has been my first time working with snips. And I had all but ONE take root so 8 out of 9 rooting ain’t so bad for a first try.

Sending off the anniversary of 5-8-77
Scarlet :rose: → Fire :fire: :dragon_face:

Crank that bass and blast off to the Phil zone :skull_and_crossbones: :rocket:

Thanks for checking in at my pad :frog:

:v:

9 Likes

Lookin good!

They are picking up now!

3 Likes

Happy Friday to all you OGers! (And to any ogres out there too :japanese_goblin: )

I found this cool album yesterday. Dude is from a company called Plant Wave making devices to “listen to plants” by turning their natural electrical signals into sounds. I haven’t listened to this myself just yet, but the plants got to hear it last night :smiley:

Joe Patitucci - 420hz: Plant Music from Cannabis Plants

I think this stuff is just too cool. Few years back I saw someone on YouTube making “mushroom music” by plugging things in to his grow tubs and connecting them to modular synthesizers.[VIDEO LINK :link:]
This PlantWave thing seems very similar.

Laziness has been getting the better of me over the last few weeks. Scratch that, not laziness - life stuff happens and there’s only so much energy that can be used in a day - physical and mental. Always trying to catch up leaves me feeling exhausted. This has been a reminder to be more kind to myself and to set realistic expectations.

Finally tried out my new pH pen [LINK :link:] that I ordered awhile ago. Fairly easy to calibrate and within about 20 mins I was measuring the pH of my tap water. Turns out the plants have been getting water at about 7.9 :flushed: I knew that my tap water is pretty hard but this is more alkaline than I was expecting.

This actually explains some things I’ve been seeing lately with the plants, specifically the clones. Nothing has been too bad yet but there are signs. Some leaves on the clones are getting yellow spots, and one clone has yellowing near the margins. Some reddish/purple petioles. One leaf with brownish spots. Slight clawing at the same time as other leaves look like they have an N deficiency.

I found some good info on this page. Several of the items in the “pH too high” section are in line with what I’m seeing in my plants.

Plants are all getting a good watering later tonight. Already have the water prepared at 6.2, using white distilled vinegar to bring down.

Quick pics, nothing fancy. I can hardly believe how well these are all doing in the new soil. It might need a tad more drainage but the plants are loving it right now. They’ve been in these pots for six days now and the top inch of soil is just barely starting to feel dry. Next batch of soil will have extra perlite and sand.

The clones hanging out under the shade cloth with my makeshift support post. The two Lemon G are in front and you can see some of the leaf issues I mentioned above. All three of these are impressing my with their root growth, I think these could move into solo cups or small pots any day. And the two clones under the dome are showing roots :clap: One is ready for soil.

Next up I’ll need to install the shelves to make space management easier on myself. The shelf will take up 1/4 of the floor space, leaving plenty of room for the vegging plants while also letting me use up to three humidity domes at once. Plans are in the works to also set up a flowering tent but that is less urgent at the moment.

2 Likes

Quick Monday morning update

The plants have been pretty & happy lately. There’s a nice smell when I open the tent :grinning: Picking up distinct aromas between each of the strains. Nothing crazy yet but I’m surprised by how strong a few of them are this early. The Gran Champagne has a sharp citrus fruit smell, almost sour with a little stink to it. Reminds me very much of the strain Mimosa.

I’m thinking that the 0.5gal pots were too small and that these could have all gone straight into 1 gallons instead. It’s been about nine days since they were transplanted and they will need to move up again soon. Makes me hesitant to do any HST on them if there’s a chance they’ll be up-potted in the next few days. All of these plants are at five leaf nodes so they’re ready for topping. But I may wait for these to get bigger so I can take a snip at the same time as topping. These babies are growing all over their neighbors with leaves overlapping. When I lift one pot I have to be careful not to snag the leaves from the other plants, already had a few tips get crushed or torn off.

These all received a light watering with some DynoMyco Spark the other day. This is my first time using any myco products.

Remaining clones are all perking up. I up-potted all five of them late last night (technically early this morning). 2x Lemon G and 1x Cayo Hueso are now in solo cups. The other 2x Cayo went from Riot plugs into tiny grow bags, held in styrofoam church coffee cups.

Thanks for stopping by my lily pad! More to come soon :v:

Bonus pic of the northern lights from this past weekend

3 Likes