Hormone and sex manipulation on cuttings, past research on hemp

I am sittin’ and smokin’ and thinkin’… :thinking:
If a boost in cytokinin can turn a male plant female as @cactus has shown here.
I can’t help but wonder if you grafted a male onto a very solid female root stock would it have a similar effect?
Just smoke talk here…but I would like to hear some comments on the topic if anyone has the energy.

If we shift the balance of hormones in favor of cytokinin we get a female.
If we shift them in favor of gibberelin we get a male.
We know cytokinin is produced mainly in the roots so in my mind it just makes good sense.
But I could be missing something.

BTW @Cactus I think @Fuel is a softer nicer version of @TomHill
I miss @TomHill
I still love that guy but @Fuel is a smart MOFO too. :sunglasses:
It is good to have you around Fuel! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

If being softer than a sharp rock can’t be considered as a compliment (^^), i do appreciate the comparison being just the generation below/after. I know you’re kind, but you fired a nice shot.

I appreciate your federalist mind, it’s a great quality i don’t have.

3 Likes

Now there’s an idea! :bulb: find a stable male and female and graft one on to the other and see what happens.

3 Likes

Thanks for being light-hearted here! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I am glad you did not take offense to my statement. :wink:
I only meant you had a valuable mind that is difficult to tap.
And if one is careful one could learn quite a bit from your valuable mind.
Sometimes you gotta pry that mind open to get the good stuff out.
Like with @TomHill I know there is more valuable info in that valuable mind, we just gotta find a way to get it out…LOL

I would drain your brain and try to absorb it all, if you would let me.
Of course, my head may explode in the process. :open_mouth:

1 Like

I once saw a diary of someone flowering individual branches of a plant with no effect of flowering on other branches. Since I saw that, and generally in my experience, individual branches seem to mostly have individual hormone environments. I have no research to back it up, but I think the amount of traits/chemicals that go from one branch to the whole plant are limited

E.g.: I would guess that you could graft a male onto a female and vice versa without any change in either

3 Likes

There is a guy on reddit doing this :

https://www.reddit.com/r/microgrowery/comments/1925o3s/isolated_branch_experiment_day_f1_simultaneous/

https://www.reddit.com/r/microgrowery/comments/1ap7zg9/an_isolated_branch_f36/

4 Likes

Absolutely wild. I never would’ve believed it before seeing those diaries. I think the one I saw was on ICmag years ago, but could’ve even been here. I was one of the naysayers thinking that the whole plant would flower either way, but I was very wrong and learned a lot through that experiment!

4 Likes

Just dope. Best practical example ever to teach how hormones really work with cannabis, without any heated debate ^^

4 Likes

Seeds are starting to take another 4-6 weeks and seeds should be ready.

4 Likes

Male’s AK S1 seeds ^^ So you don’t feel alone lol
Not for the same purpose, but who care.

6 Likes

Awesome! Hey that’s how it is done, what do you think? The data said that males don’t produce all the same types of trichomes but when reversed then the morphology changes and you have your inter-sexed type.

Maybe this technique will catch on and who knows maybe we will learn something from it. The reversed male Thai seeds were very viable and grew quite well. I am not sure what the females will do but will give that a shot in near future. Thanks for the post!

3 Likes

I have a new seed type that I am going to produce from reversed DC males, the name for them would be DRAG QUEEN DC! :joy:

1 Like

Sounds like a 2024 comic book super hero…LOL

3 Likes

To create more hybridization this I think is the compound to use, Nitrosoguanidine (0.005, 0.010 and 0.015%) 50-150 ppm is the rate it falls out to me and that simply 50-150 mg/l?

@shag @Redrum92 @Fuel

Maybe solution for too high of TE concentration having control?

4 Likes

I think that is the case.
Dunno for sure.

Solubilty of Nitrosoguanidine
DMSO : 29 mg/mL ( (197.15 mM); Moisture-absorbing DMSO reduces solubility. Please use fresh DMSO.)

Water : 7 mg/mL

Ethanol : Insoluble

1 Like

Seeds produced under 24/0, this case is particular. Pure herm, not sprayed.

For me, the manual to eradicate the strong herm influence in this line. Just mapping the progeny of these S1/F2 to can work accurately on the real F2.

Nothing fancy at all ^^

2 Likes

Just a hunch but would the reduction of a well defined photoperiod lead to lower ethylene levels that cause a less rapid maturing rate as you move further towards equator and thus make it too erratic to depend on grouped flowering but selfed flowers over time and lend to inter-sex as a solution.

Hermi I think is either an epigentic part that helps females come into flower could be being methylated thus reducing levels of ethylene and as time goes on the stress becomes high enough to lower the levels to allow pollen to be formed. Gibber does this to unstable females correct?

2 Likes

Have you grown out your S1 male inter-sex seeds and are the females unstable? I am thinking the part that is being accetylated causing the females to herm is methylated in the males making them more stable and the opposite for the males when they produce seeds the state is probably the opposite so hermi seeds from male might make more stable females if they have higher ethylene levels. If you pass this methylated state or accetylated state onto the seeds and I have heard that these states can stay that way for generations. So methylate the problem and accetylate the solution.

3 Likes

If you mention the 24/0, it’s used to let the male’s side to send the “dead signal” and let flow the abssissic acid to close the seeds. It’s a welcomed little bonus of maturation for this kind of seeds.

Gib isn’t colchicine that will make a brutal mess, and one can group it in the PGRs also. It’s linked with reversal and some STS formulas coutain it … but STS alone is far more reliable to test the sexual resilience of a line sincerely.

On herns it exist now a bunch of manner to interpret the expression. All flavors.

I stay on an empirical logic considering it as a sex-linked trait and not formely as an accurate epigenetic leverage.

On ethylen I’m more interrested to understand why so much chromatos report such high levels in most of “elite cuts”. Even if “demanding” is more diplomatic today, one can ignore that these high ethylen specimens, recognized for their smoke, are herms for the most part.

2 Likes

Not these ones, they are actually curing in a vial. The photo was recent ^^

I don’t trust the ethylen level as a factor of variation, genotype-wise.

Now it stay a choice, i mature AK male’s seeds to profile what i can maybe kill industrially earlier with the main line concerned.

3 Likes