Hot sauce and hash

Attempting to make both today. I’ve got a freezer full of sugar leaf and brand new bubble bags to break in. This is a first attempt (not at hot sauce) so fingers crossed

11 Likes

Have you tried fermenting your peppers? I am sitting on a bunch of trim too and have some peppers getting ready in the garden…might be time for some hash and hot sauce myself!!

4 Likes

Do you have a recipe that you like? This is the second year I’m making my own hot sauce and there are so many ways to approach things.

2 Likes

I just ferment mine in a salt brine for two weeks or so and then blend with usually some kind of mix of vinegars…whatever I have in the house. The fermentation adds such a deep flavor profile, and some of my favorite store bought hot sauces are fermented like siracha and tabasco for example. Plus fermented stuff is good for the gut!

And with the hash, biggest improvement I made in that department was grabbing something to microplane it down after freezing it, helps with drying and gives a nice texture to the hash. Ill post some pics up when I have a hash and hot sauce day towards the end of the month!

4 Likes

Always wanted to make my own hash, been saving for some of the equipment. Hope it works out well for you!

4 Likes

First batch of hot sauce: roasted hungarian wax peppers, peaches, red onion, garlic, apple cider vinegar & apricot balsamic vinegar…hot and sweet and flavorful yum :smile:

Hash…I’ll take it

5 Likes

You can get an 8 bag set from amazon for 40 bucks. I buy $10 drills off kijiji for mixing because I burn them out.

I save ice from my cube trays because I’m cheap and don’t want to buy it.

All the gear you need :metal:

All the best.

2 Likes

Yes!! Nice assortment! I am an avid pepper grower too. And, turn mine into hotsauces, and also dehydrate and grind for spices.

I’m growing some purple hots, jalapenos, lemon spice yellow, and regular. White habanero, and some frankenpepper I have crossed from a few. I have to add a buttload of peaches so people can stand the heat. Super fun.

4 Likes

Loving the sweet + heat!

I make mine with sauteed onions, garlic, zucchini, lots of assorted hots (from scotch bonnets to reapers) and cantaloupe, apples and pears.

Hot sauces on left, right is home-made spicy marmalade with devil’s tongue peppers

5 Likes

This are the peppers I’m using to make my hot sauce…Carolina Reapers…

My hash

Vegetable Garden 2021

3 Likes

Took a smoke break in the pool

Second batch: Roasted jalapeno, onion, garlic, cilantro, key lime juice, apple cider vinegar.

2 Likes

From the thread title I thought you were going to infuse hot sauce with THC tincture! I may have to try that next time. Might make good Christmas gifts :santa: :hot_pepper: :crazy_face:

I’m growing three pepper plants this year - all in the habanero family - that I’ll use to make sauce come harvest. There’s a Jamaican Chocolate, Caribbean Red, and Scotch Bonnet. My recipe uses a lot of garlic and carrots simmered in vinegar with the peppers. I usually throw in some tequila too - that’s where I could substitute some tincture instead.

1 Like

This may be brilliant!!

1 Like

That is what I thought too! And yes that would be great to break out at parties!

2 Likes