How did you get into pollinating / breeding?

I personally have never done any pollenation.
I have only harvested from clone so I was guaranteed female

I have some seeds in Veg now however they were feminized.

To me - it seems something way beyond my intelligence and experience.

I’m wondering how everyones first experience with seed making came to fruition?

Was it intended ?
Accidental polination ?
Had you previous knowledge of cultivation / growing ?
Did you research and experiment ?

Love to hear so I can start at the right place !

Thanks !

11 Likes

Short answer, bought some auto seeds and wanted to run more, but they were expensive. So I picked up some regular autos (Lowryder2) and the rest is history.

15 Likes

It’s easy. The biggest challenge is a dedicated male jail so you don’t spew pollen everywhere.

I started doing it to spread the seed far and wide. Especially for noobs who might kill expensive seeds and waste their money and get discouraged and quit.

11 Likes

I just think genetic traits are cool — in humans & cannabis. The only “pollen chucking“ I did was reproductions/making f2s. But it wasn’t until I started growing out the next generation that I saw how complex this shit can be. It wasn’t until I heard some more seasoned guys talk about breeding for traits, for it all to start making sense.

Nowadays I enjoy inbreeding lines that I like to manipulate them into what I want. As I continue doing this with different lines, and I start to see what appears to be “dominant“ in them, I might dabble in hybridizing — Seems like a fun next step.

11 Likes

For me it was the fact that Lefthandseeds had done a preservation run that went missing with a distributor. I ended up with one of the only remaining packs of those seeds so did my own run to fill that void from the missing seeds.

17 Likes

I grew out two regs, got some decent plants from the f1s and grew two more packs, selected to different males and put em together and let them do there thing. I’m on f3 of the strain, trying to go further then bx it to lock in big nugs and fall colors. I started by reading how others pursued these traits and how they did it.

10 Likes

Stupid ditchweed plant pollinated my outdoor plants and I got a lot of seeds. I just had feminized plants before that. Grew some of them and they produced crap. But what got me to try chucking was aphids, I could not get rid of them and I was going to stop growing for a time to get rid of them, but I needed seeds to restart and I did not know a reasonably priced seller to buy from. So I reversed a couple of plants, did not turn out. Did buy some regular CBD seeds and a F2 male and the remaining CBD strain I had produce seeds that I am now trying out.

7 Likes

I came here to learn how to grow better weed and soon after had people throwing seeds at me left and right. Decided I need my own seeds to throw back at them :laughing: . Very much just jumping into it head 1st but that works out well for me most of the time!

14 Likes

At some point I realized that when it comes down to it, at the end of the day I’m responsible for making sure that the weed I like continues to exist no matter what

16 Likes

I like your response. @thecurtainwith

6 Likes

I joined this place called Overgrow, and then got blessed by so many generous people that I caught the bug and then started 8x clones in hopes of sharing back!

6 Likes

I appreciate that dude. It’s also how I got in to preservation work- if there’s something I love, I can’t in good faith rely on other people to make sure it’s around. i definitely feel a responsibility to steward the lines that have had a positive impact on my life

8 Likes

Right on man, I’m glad you do the work you do. It’s always good to preserve what is good in one’s eyes.

5 Likes

Left town for a week. One plant was male and pollinated the females. Boom seeds.

This last time I trimmed the male down to a stick and shook a little off that over the females.

7 Likes

The idea of creating a strain like Chem 91 where it impacts the community so much or the idea of creating a strain or finding a plant that can help ppl with cancer or any major medical issues is really what gets my juices flowin in the morning…

11 Likes

Spring of 1994 I got my hands on some Afghan seeds, Infact the first “indica” I had been able to find. I helped a guy, helping another guy build his house. That guy got ten of the fattest beans I had ever seen! Of those, he gave me three. Ironically they where called “purple haze” Two sprouted, and since I had already been growing for a few yrs, I came to know I had a male and a female. As this female started to develop big, thick, pungent flowers so early in the season, it became clear that I had to try and make beans to preserve this thing.
Once the male flowers had just started to open, I cut the top off and used it like a paint brush, to gently “paint” the female flowers. Thank you Mel Frank. I let the mom go until the seeds where nice and big and dark then harvested. Got a few hundred seeds, most of which I gave away.
That was my first chuck and I continued to select and
gift around my area and now all over.
I feel making your own seed is just a natural progression as a grower.:peace_symbol:

13 Likes

I found OG….now all I think about is different crosses I could make and what they would look like :star_struck:…I’m supposed to be working right now….

6 Likes

Got sick of paying stupid amounts of cash for seeds so I figured I’d make my own feminised seeds with massive amounts of help and advice from @ReikoX. Ended up giving 99% of them away. Stupid thing is you do get bored of the same strain/taste/effects and still buy more even though you’ve got hundreds laying around. :rofl:
2nd time around I did a feminised run for what I thought was a good cause at my own cost from reg seeds that were bred here that a lot of members of OG played a part in. I don’t think anyone got to try them.
After all that I worked out it would be cheaper to just buy the seeds like I originally was. :rofl:

11 Likes

Ive always been a bit of a nerd once im interested in something, i want to know as much as possible for a simple single question it’s a character flaw. I was growing, reading, and didnt wanna buy beans anymore so decided what lines i wanted to work and why. Then bought em, got a male (no clue if it was good), started dusting my hotties and sprouting beans by the handful.

13 Likes

Welcome to OG @Mudballs. :wave:

3 Likes