How do I recognize, control, and prevent Powdery Mildew?

:shushing_face:

(Youā€™re getting in the middle of a big protracted fight you know)

4 Likes

:joy:

(should i walk away?)

1 Like

So botrytis spores in the air can infect your grow if you run suboptimal conditions, but powdery mildew cannot? They are both fungi, both plant pests, reproduce by spores germinating in humid conditionsā€¦why is that, Joe?

Lol folks listen to Joe you canā€™t get PM if thereā€™s no infected plants in your grow. Spores donā€™t travel in the air like mycologists will tell you. Donā€™t worry about it, ever, youā€™re safe. I can specifically tell you thatā€™s not true from personal experience, but hey, I might just be a guy you donā€™t know lying on the internet.

Yes, two adult men have in fact been arguing about mildew for a year or more. Itā€™s a cold war that occasionally boils overā€¦you may join the Joe Bloc or the Vernal Union. Welcome to OG hahaha nice to have you here. If you really really like talking about weed, youā€™re in the right place.

1 Like

Iā€™m doing a study on him, itā€™s interesting to me why people believe in things that arenā€™t true, then refuse to verify the truth when they are told what it is. Really fascinating to me.

Lemme know when that study youā€™re definitely actually doing gets published, lol. We wait with bated breath.

ā€œWhy Everyone Who Disagrees with Me is Crazy: A Super Serial Case Studyā€

1 Like

no man. You know weā€™ve been rotating on this planet together for a year right? Itā€™s about confirmation bias. Iā€™m just real curious about how far it goes, when it comes to simple tests to verify the truth. I know we hit it off wrong on the protocol 0 thread man, but that info has already passed into the masses. Canā€™t you just get a single little clone plant put it in containment then let the humidity climb and see what happens? Iā€™m not asking you to destroy your crop, a simple test will do.

1 Like

I have done that. Itā€™s called growing. Iā€™ve gotten PM several times. Including times with no outside genetics or plants in the garden, nothing but seed plantsā€¦and plants too close together, inadequate ventilation, leaves touching, high humidity. I donā€™t need to build an experiment to prove that. Iā€™ve seen that firsthand. IDK how thatā€™s soooo crazy of an idea. Iā€™m not the first person to get mildew.

You never answered my question about the botrytis. You said high humidity gave you botrytis. If botrytis spores can easily get into your grow in the air and germinate, why canā€™t powdery mildew spores? Why? What makes them any different? Indulge us, please.

1 Like

ok vernal Iā€™ll let your confirmation bias rest. There is some final advice from someone way smarter than me.
ā€œThe first principle is that you must not fool yourself ā€” and you are the easiest person to fool.ā€ Richard Feynman
If you actually want to talk about botrytis, we can do that. If itā€™s just to indulge your fantasies yo forget that crap. The denial is too deep, you can only change if you want to.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a fun way to dodge the question. If airborne botrytis spores can infect your plants, so can powdery mildew.

2 Likes

Hey this is a victory - he just admitted thereā€™s someone smarter than him.

2 Likes

Sorry not gonna read everything but just want to say Iā€™ve had some of my best grows in high humidity with a swamp cooler. During veg Iā€™d hit 70%- 75% rh and during flower it was 45%-55% and never get PM.

I notice PM comes from cramping plants, lack of light penetration to lower leafs and bad air flow. Once itā€™s infested high humidity helps it spread faster.

I donā€™t know everything so I canā€™t say 100% that Iā€™m right and fight about it but Iā€™ve been experimenting for almost 20 years :peace_symbol:

2 Likes

Ah vernal brother, you seriously answered all my questions and completed the study. My advice is to never try the study on your friends they get really angry when you confront their bias. Oh I learned that before I arrived here on overgrow hah hah mistake number one.
Ironically you could apply the humidity advice to the botrytis case, but not mildew. I find that fact to be a really interesting coincidence. If you want to talk about botrytis, we can. Just know that powdery mildew and botrytis are two completely different organisms. There is no way you are going to compare the two, thatā€™s my advice.

Thatā€™s a lot more words to dodge the question again.

Both airborne fungal spores that infect plants and germinate in high humidity. How can you get botrytis from airborne spores but not powdery mildew? Sure powdery mildew also produces sporesā€¦but donā€™t worry you canā€™t get them because reasons!

1 Like

errr what? Thatā€™s like comparing yeast to powdery mildew. How do you think there is a comparison, really?

orā€¦ youā€™re trying to get me to claim that humidity, not exposure to the replicating pathogen Botrytis cinerea is the cause? Because exposure is definitely the initial problem, but it can be prevented from replicating with humidity control.

Hey I got a radical claim youā€™ll never see in print, for another decade. Unless you search really hard. Plant immune response to powdery mildew is to generate small quantities of sulfur to fend it off.

Ahem-

Iā€™m ready to wade into this oneā€¦

Bud rot ainā€™t the same as PM

Just in case anyone thinks Iā€™m a college educated scientist, after dropping that knowledge bomb-

Truth is, I figured that out through experienceā€¦

Hawaii outdoor = bud rot

Some strains get it, others, not so much

Dispo clones = Pm

Some strains get it, others, not so much

Growing plants with a swamp cooler, and not pruning when itā€™s too hot can cause all kinds of problems, especially if your fan just quitā€¦

But sometimes you just gotta roll with what you got, and hope for the best :ok_hand:

Iā€™ve seen grown men cry over bud rot-

PM, is a real PITAā€¦

1 Like

It can be a pain until you understand it, the important part is using sulfur to finish it off. You can do it in one application, but I recommend two. mix 1 tablespoon of high yield(90%+) in a liter of water and soak the plants. Two applications two weeks apart itā€™s fucking done. If you sulfur the clones from the dispensary theyā€™ll never infest you :smiley:

3 Likes

@Lood

Sounds like some solid advice-

Thanks broā€¦

2 Likes