Powdery mildew - An easily exterminated parasite

You know something? I was sitting there thinking about powdery mildew and how people are retrieving copy-pasta-info from online to get information about it. The strange part? It’s not information about the species of powdery mildew that infests cannabis plants. I would bet 100% of online articles don’t concern cannabis and actually studies on mildew are almost never performed on cannabis. Instead, and this is the strange part, they focus on hops mildew. I had never actually considered that. Yet when I saw the microscopic images of the mildew and I compared that to my own images, I could see they weren’t the same species.
I had only met one other person on the forums who understood that fact. Sadly, they had some personal thing and burned out of the forums. Anyways, they noticed right away when I posted a photo of the mildew on the peas, and told me that wasn’t a cannabis powdery mildew colony. The lack of the brown pods/yellow pods as a reproductive form, is a trait shared among at least 2 species of powdery mildew that I have personally imaged.
OK so misinformation about this fungus is epic and rampant. That’s ok, if you come here I will never spew toxic misinformation. Just information I have extracted from the parasite itself. Nothing copy-pasta from the internet or “OK GOOGLE”. Down to brass tacks now:

53 Likes

If you have a mildew colony, here’s how to wipe it out and make sure it never comes back.
Mix 1 tablespoon of 90 percent plus sulfur dust with 1 liter of water, then spray that on all of your plants. Do it again 2 weeks later, and then you can start bloom. Never, spray it on blooming plants, because that’s gross, unless you are just making seeds. Also, never apply after an oil based product, you will have to wash that application off first, then apply the sulfur.
To ensure it never comes back, just don’t bring any infected plant material in. It’s really that simple. Keep new cuts in quarantine and microscopically inspect them daily if possible. You can see the infestation way faster with magnification!

44 Likes

LOL, The first thing I noticed was they all seem to be copying each other’s notes out there…
Your ‘signal to noise ratio’ is several orders of magnitude better than any one else’s… :+1:

Cheers
G

22 Likes

I think in most cases people have fallen for the “failure to do your own research” logical fallacy. If I have questions about a parasite, I’ll hit the lab and study that sucker and it’s life cycle.

16 Likes

Here’s my back story. I had that parasite for a long time in my grow, and that was a long ass time ago. Probably 20 years? Perhaps longer. I got a “berlin” cut from some guy I was making clones for. It was infested with powdery mildew, except I didn’t know. Until I saw it one day on that clone, and tossed it in the trash. I assumed that since I had chucked it, perhaps it hadn’t spread. What I didn’t know, was that it was already infesting the plants, I couldn’t see it for another month. In bloom it took over and I tried everything. I had read so much info online it was the early 2000s, yet the SAME information is still online I read back then. Did that information help me? Definitely not, it wasted my damned time with all this witchcraft. Baking soda, vinegar, peroxide, you name it I tried it. Except I was determined to exterminate it before bloom, so I would start over, every time I hit bloom and the mildew was there. I could see it now with a magnifying glass. One day, I went to buddy’s place where he sold me a sack of weed.
He asked me if I had sold all my weed and was using the loot to buy his weed. hah hah, anyways I told him I lost my entire crop to mildew. He says oh just spray your plants in veg twice with sulfur mixed with water. Any kind, even grind up some pellets. I did that and it worked.

22 Likes

I’ve tried many different PM “killer” and it’s always come back…Sulfur, pH over 8.5, UV, essential oils…

I grew for over 25 years and never got it until a few years ago…out of no where the whole state of Alaska seems to have it when we never did? Some very odd shit!

Killed off everything, cleaned top to bottom…it’s never come back! Fingers crossed!!

Alaskagrown

17 Likes

Next time try the sulfur mixed with water. You have to follow the protocol correctly or you have a chance it’ll come back. That’s why you do two sprays, so it’s definitely dead.

6 Likes

Shit man I sprayed every 5-7 days…but then again it was in a 8,000 sq ft facility…it was probably lurking inside somewhere that didn’t get cleaned properly! Hard to get things done right when you have others that won’t follow protocol or lazy…lol

If I ever get it again I’ll try the 90% S powder and distilled/RO water.

EDIT: In fact I’m going to order some 90%+ Sulfur powder just to have on hand for the future…you never know…

15 Likes

Yah it’s hard to seek out all crevices to decontaminate a facility that large. The biggest area I did was 1,152sqft, which was a chore itself lol! I’ll share some trials though, so you don’t have to feel alone in the struggle. I was hatching theories and I was like ok. Place is closed down, no plants. So I should bleach the shit out of everything and problem solved. BUZZER Wrong! Shit regenerated from that event lol! Slower than before. I must have missed something or bleach isn’t effective. Either way, I learned that didn’t work!

7 Likes

actually, that’s probably the strangest part right. I had to spray all plant material with sulfur to finish it off, I sprayed it around way less than bleach and it was way more effective. Bleach was useless!

5 Likes

What’s REALLY odd is…

Within months of Alaska legalization of Cannabis we started seeing shit happen that was NEVER here….I swear or I’m crazy but…it was almost overnight like someone had flown over the state in a plane and started dumping shit into the air…I’m not the only one who thinks this!

I’ve talked to many old heads that’s been growing up here since the 70’s and their opinions on the matter are interesting to say the least!

9 Likes

lol! Actually I’ve heard that one before. Cyborg he was always getting the mildew and one day he points at a contrail in the sky and says “them chemtrails are giving me mildew”, oh my and I had a good laugh. The thing is, in order to make that claim, he has to actually have evidence.

9 Likes

Eventually, I’ll go tripping around and look at different fungi on plants. Once spring comes, there are probably 3 different species of powdery mildew growing around here. I wiped one of them out already, but that’s ok. I’ll chronical the journey of imaging, and making an identification image as well. Then you can pretty much determine which mildew infects which plants. The thing we don’t care about is what the mildew is called in taxonomy. The egg heads can come up with names based on DNA profiles, but we can focus on science you can easily perform without it. Down side is, I am definitely using high tech equipment for imaging purposes, so it’s slightly more difficult with just a hand lens.

3 Likes

Some good before and after photos, of a colony getting nuked by sulfur.

8 Likes

Just got my Sulphur powder today, just to have it on hand. Thanks for the knowledge.

4 Likes

You’re welcome, happy mildew hunting! Make sure you always wipe the colony out before bloom, you don’t want to smoke sulfur.

3 Likes

@JoeCrow have you ever used this product?

I used it as a root drench before and it works great I’ve noticed a difference in the plants terpenes, a really great product. I didn’t realize you can use it as a foliar spray and it’s 97% sulfur. It uses nanoparticle enzymatic encapsulation-allowing it to solubilize quickly and evenly.

Do you think this could work for Powdery mildew? Not only are you eradicating PM, you’re enhancing the terpenes of your plant.

I followed your method and used this to eradicate my PM colony.

7 Likes

Hops are a cousin to cannabis. Isn’t the hops mildew called Downey mildew? I can’t remember. I’ve grown hops and never had it but it’s common in Washington/Oregon.

3 Likes

I’ve never used terpene enhancer, but based on it’s composition, I would bet lots of money that it’s lethal to powdery mildew. The 4lb sack of sulfur will kill a million colonies, you probably have a lifetime supply! unless you start using it for lowering the ph in your garden.

5 Likes

Podosphaera macularis is what they claim online infests hops. I’ve seen microscopic images of it and I know it’s not the same powdery mildew on my pumpkins or cannabis plants. The colony on the pea vines looked a lot like the one on hops, except I’d have to have a close look and experiment with it to see if they were the same. I was thinking a closer match to the pea powdery mildew, was the one growing on the clover plants. The hops mildew is also supposed to infest strawberries? Those are unverified details that are probably bullshit as well lol!

4 Likes