How do you clone?

On the subject of clone maintenance, how do you all hold clones that are rooted but waiting for the veg room? How do you “pause” them without inducing root tip rot, stunting, etc.?

One technique I’ve found is to put them on a 12/5/2/5 light cycle. That’s 12 on, 5 off, 2 on, 5 off. The second short light period breaks up the dark cycle and prevents flowering, but slows growth down considerably without any observable health issues. Regular growth resumes once they are returned to typical veg light cycles.

Any other techs you all use?

-b420

5 Likes

I just transfer it to another medium, soil or coco. but it just depends on client specifications.

I sometimes put them on a bed of pearlite in a slotted propagation tray.

If they sit too long, I’ll have to pot up to 3.5 squares, I can fit 18 to a tray.

Good stuff, I need a lower maintenance solution, my nursery is in a different location from flower gardens.
not to mention I run alot of different cultivars so water usage can be less or more depending on rooting speed.

I was thinking of flooding slotted trays, in a table or drippers in a slotted tray… something like that. I need some level of automation.

Perlite bed - good idea. I’ve done the same with hydroton pebbles, with middling success.

-b420

1 Like

Idk I think it depends if there rooted in An a water type cloning system or not tho cuz I root clones for hydro An my boy did soil I gave him clones they took to soil but man did they not like the switch

Hello Justin glad to hear your opinion being a hydro guy. In aero cloners and bubblers your are right 100%. They are fussy going into soil. With rockwool the roots can adjust easier to soil because the rockwool forces the roots to harden a bit, but it has that flap around the cube. It gets loose and traps air, humidity, and nasties and that cuts down on success rate. That was the explanation that made sense to me but i don’t know if it is a fact. Just something to think about.

I’ve always used rockwool cubs I honestly think it’s harder to go from an aero cloner to soil because the roots are not used to having to stretch An serve for nutrients well supporting the plant

Uploading… when u cut clones from this type of setup the plants not used to searching for nutrients it’s used to having them sorta hand fed to them in a drip system so when my boy made the plants go to soil it took like an extra week for them to actually start doing anything were I use one of my aloe plants cut a branch off An dip the clone in the jelly An plant in my drip system after also soaking my cubes in aloe jelly also from the aloe plant an ph An set them in the drip system an I get mine to root in three days haven’t lost a clone except recintly tried cutting clones late in flower An it didn’t take I did get six to root tho so it could have just been the branch the clone came from

I can’t see what you uploaded. I use aloe for a lot of different things a wonderful plant. I don’t use it for cloning, but that is on purpose to see how well new strains root by themselves.

1 Like

I can’t afford to screw around need my medicine that is the root system in flower from a clone used with aloe

I’ll put one up later when veg ten comes on after flower goes to sleep

Something new I’m trying out.

40 Likes

It will probably do the trick but you would have better success if you used a lid and ran it like DWC. I had a similar cloner that worked great.

13 Likes

Ya that should work great, nice and simple.

I clone using coco in solo cups aka ‘California cups’. It’s the easiest and fastest method I’ve tried so far.

I made a small tutorial here:

21 Likes

I am also a straight to coco cloner guy. Do like that you didn’t have to chop into a lid as the neoprene floats be interesting to see what happens but I know the kratky method does work so I’m sure you’ll have success.

12 Likes

My worry would be tipping over in those small plugs. I’ve seen people use a styrofoam plate with holes to eliminate the flipping issue.

Personally, I use rapid rooters and clonex. :+1::seedling:

17 Likes

I agree… Creating mist is imho what makes it root faster. I like cloner as the fastest way, the only drawback is additional work when you need a lot of clones. Then I usually stick to plain old rockwool…

12 Likes

Container full of perlite/coco mix. Keep saturated. 50/50 mix will do.

Trim most of the leaves, use a razor to peel away the outer part of the lower stem and expose the inner tissue, like bottom 2" or so. Cut any larger leaves off. Put in a corner of the tent or under another taller plant, anything that will keep it in lower light conditions.

I will occasionally use rooting hormone but for the most part it isn’t necessary. If you spray rooting hormones as a VERY dilute foliar during the rooting phase it can shave a few days off rooting time, but usually I’ll notice a plant has rooted in 7-10 days.

8 Likes

Perlite and Vermiculite 1:1

6 days later

20 Likes