How do you handle RSO/ butane extract?

That is basically it, it sticks to everything, flows like tar, gloops stuff up. I am finding it difficult to handle.

How do you cope with the stuff?

What techniques do you use to make it easier to weigh, store, dose, smoke etc

2 Likes

Slightly warmed stainless steel utensils allow me to move it around with minimal sticking.

Pre-weigh your containers so you know what the tare weight is before you fill them.

I tend to consume the smaller quantities I produce as I go, for all of the above reasons.

Good problems to have I guess.

Interesting to see what comes up.

2 Likes

Try to keep it cool. Like a refrigerator or freezer. No goop action for the butane extract.

3 Likes

Sounds like I need to have special tools and containers used for nothing elseā€¦

1 Like

You need to not evaporate all the solvent untill you go into the vac oven.

2 Likes

Stainless Steel Wax carving tools from India. Super cheap!

Silicone containers for sure!

I bought 100 for about $35.

3 Likes

I donā€™t have a vac oven yet, would that make the extract solid as opposed to a tar like substance?

I have been looking at them but it is the price of the vacuum pump that is blocking me. I did find a discarded fridge/freezer in the street to salvage the compressor out of but it worked too well and now we are using it to store frozen fruit, fermented things etc.

Tried to find a hand vacuum pump but they seem to be as rare as a unicorn in the UK.

Thanks, ordered. Got the ones that were on Amazon Prime so not the cheapest but I get them tomorrow. I am sure the quality will match the cheapest :wink:

I noticed I could get 100 of the silicone pots for Ā£35. Going to try them out first with an order of 24 for Ā£11.99 and see how I get on. They look like the same pots, advert said they come in a ā€œrandonā€ colourā€¦

Got the cheapest wax tools they had. Made sure they were all metal for easier cleaning.

1 Like

Yup silicone mats and containers, for that kinda extracts. Or pyrex glass, if your working with larger amounts.

2 Likes

I now have almost exactly that sat on my desk. Works great, thanks.

I got a dozen sent next day, might get 100 more, they are handy. Might use them for many things, small components, gauzes etc

Now I will find the ā€˜vacuum oven on the cheapā€™ bookmarks I put aside and start on that next :slight_smile:

2 Likes

yeah iā€™ve been keeping an eye out for a cheap vacuum pump also. you can find them on amazon US, not many options for amazon canada, maybe UK is a bit betterā€¦ iā€™m going to build my vacuum oven out of a pressure cookerā€¦ then use it on a hot plate or griddle

on topic: i keep my BHO in the fridgeā€¦ its impossible to handle when its 30C here

this guy added in a little window to his pressure cooker vac chamber - or you can use thick plexiglass for a lid

6 Likes

Small update for anyone who reads the thread looking for solutions. I have found that letting the butane evaporate over the course of a few days works well. If you scrape it up daily with a Stanley knife blade and then spread it out into a thin smear, after a few days it looks dry and not shiny any more. When you scrape it up the final time it can be handled and used like very soft hash.

Sometimes it goes like little crystals

1 Like

I blast into a pie plate and pour into parchment when still soupy. Let it go rigid and Iā€™ll fold it up and put into a vac chamber. I got my pump from harbor freight.

3 Likes