How I make small batches of seeds without screwing up my sensi( too much)

File this under Lessons Learned

I recently did a selective pollination on an outdoor plant using the bagging method I described in an earlier post above.

Open Pollination + Selective Pollination - #27 by GrouchyOldMan

I learned a hard lesson and wanted to pass it along.

I chose to leave the big bag covering the unpollinated mass of the plant overnight. I wanted to make sure the pollen had plenty of time to do its work. The humidity due to transpiration inside the plastic bag got high enough to activate the resident spores and a nasty case of bud rot greeted me in the morning.

If I had followed the consensus advice and only left the bag on for a few hours there would have been no problem. Alas…

Stupid mistake and an ugly result. I’m owning it. Note to self: Don’t be Stupid!!!

Anyway, I was able to salvage some smoke by cutting and removing all the affected areas and I’m still waiting to see if the seeded branch gives me viable seeds.

-Grouchy

10 Likes

Ouch Grouch. That’s a bummer. Lessons learned

3 Likes

Unkind news @GrouchyOldMan . Good on you for your positive attitude! :grin::peace_symbol:

4 Likes

Had some spare time and a small hermie Moby Dick and having seen this thread…found some translucent drafting paper, kind of almost waxy without the wax stashed away in a cabinet and a cut zip-loc for a window and a roll of electrical tape. So, doobie burned, I set to work! The paper is difficult to work with and getting a good seal problematic but I managed to get two versions taped up on the plant. The paper looks great in that it’s thin enough to see perfect shadows through. The zip-loc window gets condensation and really doesn’t give that much view. All-in-all, a good practice run! :clown_face: Discovered it might be better to make the bags cone-shaped (as on the window-less one on the left) and perhaps to have waited to burn one until the job was done! :crazy_face:

9 Likes

Yep. Too much plastic and not enough papper to off gas the humidity, I imagine. The all papper side looks more promising. :grin::peace_symbol:

3 Likes

@iceman , some info on pollen collection and isolation.
:grin::v:

Damn…out of likes since forever! I’ve bookmarked this the first time I went through your profile. :blush: This is definitely my go to method bro…perfect isolation of pollen. Need to source the breathable paper but otherwise it’s a breeze. I also like the way you dust pollent in the shower and water down after 12 hrs.
I asked in the other thread because I was concerned about open-pollination. But it appears that he was infact looking to open-pollinate…:eyes:

2 Likes

@Budderton , hope all is well on your end. :slightly_smiling_face::green_heart:
I’m able to source butter paper and baking paper. Which would you chose over these two for your preferred method of pollen collection?
Both these papers specify they can be used for food packaging as well (breathable) but the baking paper states it’s parchment paper.
I beleive it was discussed earlier in this thread that parchment paper would be better?

2 Likes

Yeah, I think the parchment paper would be the better choice. As long as the paper you choose is breathable and able to off gas the byproducts of transpiration.

2 Likes

Any one tried any of these pollination bags made from parchment from Amazon?Pretty cheap for 100 premade bags.The window ones are on Dagga.garden.They are a little more expensive but they are very well made with a nice clear window on both sides.

9 Likes

Hmm, now this in an interesting product.
I wonder. :thinking:

2 Likes

Hey all you baggers. I was out back in the smoking/pollen collection shack going through the motions, so I figured why not revive the old bag thread with a little pictorial. Keep in mind, I do all the work in a big ass fuzzy house coat that covers from knees to cuffs with a hood.

When done, shake out house coat , go inside straight to the shower. Last pic is the prementioned house coat (it’s a snazzy burgundy) and clothes soaking in tub and myself followed.
:v::canada:

14 Likes

@Budderton this seems so simple and easy!
Once you bag and tape the plant is it in complete darkness? I am curious on how it stays alive for weeks to come if its taped in a bag?

2 Likes

What is that screen board you have? I seen you called it a bristol board but i never heard of one. Are they homemade or something you buy?
Im sure i could make one if i knew what micron is recommended for pollen sifting.

2 Likes

The plant continues to grow and develop inside the bag, eventually dropping pollen. The key is to pick the right material to construct your bag. Has to let enough light and air/moisture from transpiration pass through to keep the male alive but not let pollen grains escape.

The screen is a silk screen like the ones used for printing tee shirts but i use them for collecting trichomes and making hash. That is an old one at around 70 microns i think. Plenty big enough to let pollen through but small enough to trap plant matter.
A pollen shaker is an easier solution and does the same job at a smaller scale. You should be able to find one fairly easily on the interwebs.
:v::canada:

5 Likes

I think bristol board and poster board are the same thing

1 Like

This is so totally awesome dude! I needed a tek like this I only have one grow room and I have some nice males from outside this season that I want to use! Appreciate you sharing this​:muscle::muscle:
Dubb

2 Likes

Incredible information. Did this successfully, thanks to this post.

6 Likes