How long do seeds last?

Haha epic! Idea

3 Likes

I remember doing that as a boy scout when I was youngerā€¦ The mini emergency kitā€¦ Dont forget the flint n steel! them matches always fail when ya need em LOL

3 Likes

Whoā€™s seeds are you collecting I might be able to help with your collection?

2 Likes

Pelican case then in the fridge

2 Likes

Pelicans are awesome

2 Likes

Hopefully at least this long.
Extinct date palms grown from 2000-year-old seeds found near Jerusalem | New Scientist.

1 Like

Have purple Urkle ,Romulan lamb breath seeds about 8 years they still open in a day or two

2 Likes

i beat you to it :+1:

1 Like

thanks man i was getting worried, when i looked up how long seeds last in a closet it said up to a couple months lol.

lol this cracked me up and if i start crossing i will definitely have to send you a pack.

1 Like

looks like i have to go shopping for a mini fridge :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

20 year old? damnnn. what was the germ rate like?

1 Like

Excellent. I wanna say 100%. I donā€™t remember but it was close.

1 Like

looks like i need a basement, im beginning construction today :rofl:

1 Like

Seed addiction is for realllll! lol Iā€™m in the same boat my friend.

3 Likes

i doubt i have as much seeds as you but i still have a small collection. it wont be a small collection for long tho lol.

What kind of containers do you guys use in the fridge? I put my seeds in glass tupperware in my fridge with silica packs inside them, and noticed condensation inside the tupperware.

1 Like

That depends on the seal and how humid the air was you initially sealed it with, you may need more dessicated or at least swap it out now that itā€™s cold, also alot of Desiccant can be recharged persay by cooking in the over at low temps for awhile to drive off moisture

4 Likes

I live in a fairly humid environment. I guess Iā€™ll stick with the closet as I fear having everything get destroyed by me not checking regularly, than a lower germination rate. If the humidity starting point is the issue it doesnā€™t matter what kind of container I get.

1 Like

Any sealable container will do the same in a hot humid area though like I said can swap out dessicant or initially leave it open when cooling then throw in your dessicant once cooled and seal it, itā€™s the transition from hot and humid to cold while sealed that causes that.

2 Likes