How long do seeds last?

Some one I know has bag seed from 1998 - 2002, when he was in Texas, he really isnt a good grower and he got 7 out of ten to germinate this spring. They were kept in a pill bottle in his drawer. I have 15 left will try later at some point.

3 Likes

Good looking on that color thing I didnā€™t even know Iā€™ll have to remember to use that as a more correct example.

2 Likes

I have a plant growing right now from a seed from the mid to late 1990s. I also have some seeds from the late 1980s I will try to grow once I get me some decent LED grow lights.

1 Like

Haha oh fuck, should have scrolled a little slower when looking to see if someone else posted it already lol. My bad!

1 Like

This guy has some of my favorite info on seeds.His name is Tony and he isnā€™t doing so well these days.His seeds are on Dagga.love and Iā€™ve heard nothing but good things about the guy.He has a lot of obscure knowledge on breeding and seeds.Check out this video on how to resurrect old seed stock.https://youtu.be/XmfKLtnnltc

2 Likes

@thecrazster Just found this really great article on seed storing and preservation by Mel Frank. It can give you an idea of how long seeds can last if properly stored.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s my 2 cents to addā€¦
I bought beans in 2014 and was hoping to do an outdoor guerilla grow but it never happened. Lots of factors prevented me from doing such.
Well, I had the beans in small plastic baggies , how they came from Herbies stealth shipping.
Long story short, had them hidden in the garage Inside a ziplock and inside another plastic bag(black). Stuffed it in corner of the tool cabinet in the garage with temp fluctuations according to the seasons and fast forward to 2020 when I started my indoor growing and I retrieved those beans. Surprisingly most of the beans popped!! Exception of 2 out of 6 that I popped so far.
In fact my mandala Safari mix is growing just swell for 2021!

5 Likes