How many of you are "Retired"

I appreciate the reply, I will read that link and educate myself a little more, Thankyou :wink:

Please don’t hesitate to ask any questions. I love that stuff. I think I missed my calling as a financial planner :wink:

1 Like

@Rhai88 - my thoughts exactly seeing this thread. Bookmarked.
I’m retired from my trade, but damn if it doesn’t seem like I’ll be working into a grave.
Thanks to all the folks with advice flowing in this thread. Somethings gotta give
Stay up
Coffin_Dodger
:ghost: :raccoon:

4 Likes

I get the standard wisdom.and standard thought but I’m just contrary enough to wonder if there’s not a better way…I know its best to hold off on soc sec don’t pay off your home keep.working til 67…etc.
It don’t feel.right…lol

1 Like

I’ll trade you seeds/clones for services :joy::joy:
Just turned 30…3yrs with a mortgage so far
I’m already sick of it the sooner the better lol

Definitely appreciate the offer. I will give any advice no obligation. I enjoy seeing peope succeed. DM me. I am not licensed or associated with anyone. Just enjoy this stuff.

1 Like

Outstanding !
I wish I could comprehend more of it but I just start short circuiting
Dm incoming

Yeppers but retirement kinda sux somwtimes

1 Like

I retired 3 years ago at the age of 61. Healthcare is a concern… but if you can limit your income (I.e. spend down monies you’ve already paid tax on) healthcare can be virtually free.

And yeah, retirement sucks sometimes. Not because of money or health pressures, thank god. It’s just different

3 Likes

Been retired for 3 years now, wife is retired for a 2 years, and she worked while getting her benefits, so we got to double dip for a year and half.
I was riding on her health insurance plant, before I I filed, that was $6500-$7,000.00 so once I went to Medicade, that went to $149.00 month.
We are blessed with zero prescriptions from doctors, but we do purchase some vitamins and supplements.
Medicade also, pays for senior health building programs, like Silver Sneakers, that offer exercise in various types. We find Tia Chi, wonderful, and look forwards to it each week.
Never in my like did I join a gym, mowing grass, gardening, shoveling snow, raking leaves, walking the trout streams, and my grows all keep me moving.
Well, I’m also a hopeless tinker fool, working my hands and mind, before they both sail away.
We also have time to help folks in the family, some elderly, some young and struggling, some just need a person with experience to show them a starting point in a project.
We are enjoying our retirement!

8 Likes

If anyone is interested in some sound financial planning advice delivered in a step-wise program to get out of debt and build wealth, take a listen to the “Dave Ramsey Podcast.”

His plan is simple and it works. It also can be applied no matter how bad, or good your current situation is. They often get calls for retirement advice and they have a free online budget tool.

There’s a section in each show that highlights listeners who have paid off all their debt, some of those joyful stories bring tears to your eyes. Just normal folks who got control of their financial lives.

-Grouchy

5 Likes

I second Dave Ramsey. He sometimes throws in a religious slant if that bothers you. Only ding I would give him is he sometimes gives advice that is not the easiest to achieve. For example, just get another job paying more. Very easy to understand and good advice 95% of the time. Well worth your time.

2 Likes

One important point that came up when talking to @Rabeats2093:

Private Mortgage Insurance - PMI on those mortgages. This holds no value for you. It only benefits the mortgage company in case you default.

You pay PMI each month and can wipe it out as soon as you hold 20% equity.
For example, you purchase a house for $200,000. Your will keep paying PMI until the mortgage balance is 80% value of the house.
In this case, that would be $160,000. This could be many years of paying worthless PMI payments

The easier way to do this is if your home is worth more today than when you bought it. You can look up an estimated home value on zillow.com for free using your address. This is only an estimate, a starting point. The most accurate estimate is from an appraiser. Costs about $300.
The sweet spot is a real estate agent. They will provide a home estimate based on comparable properties close to you that have sold. The real estate agent will do this for free although you would have to at least act as if you were considering selling your home.Dont sign anything, you are still shopping.

Lets again use the $200,000 house. It cost $200,000 in 2021 but is now worth $240,000. Congratulations you can now stop paying PMI. Your house being worth more than when you purchased it gives you equity. In this case, 20%. Just what you need to stop PMI.

What Im getting at here is you’paying a fee (PMI) that is of no benefit to you and should be stopped as soon as you can. If you are not proactive, how likely is that mortgage company going to tell you, hey you dont need to pay PMI?

Questions, just ask.

4 Likes

I know about the PMI I was able to get out from under that when I refied at 2.75% a few years ago…our payment stays the same but we reduced the term (years) by half.

1 Like

Good on you! Congrats :clap:

Back in the day I did trade S&P’s, I worked at Chicago Mercantile Exchange…working in the S&P trading pit on the trading floor were the best years of my life…Open outcry was the best/awesome…

1 Like

Sounds exciting and stressful at the same time.

Think I’ll stick w my limit orders being placed online :wink:

1 Like

The last 5 years of working was the worst. My pay had risen and opportunities vanished. It gets sticky when someone can look at your resume and see you have more experience than they do. But I ‘retired’ at FRA and then had to find other health care. I was lucky in that my broker had an in at a healthcare HMO that uses my medicare benefits. For what seems like full coverage I think they deduct $6 a month. I see a GP, a cardiologist and a vascular surgeon. So far for the last six months no unexpected costs other than a co-pay for medication that costs $600 a month. I pay $4.

The challenge is getting up off the couch and not raiding the refrigerator.

1 Like