How to mitigate smell in sealed rooms?

What’s up everyone I’m new here and new to room buildout and construction. I’m by no means in a legal state and I’ve had a brush with the law. Looking to relocate and build a small room maybe 10x12 or 12x12 and I want to run a sealed room with c02. I don’t have a mentor and there isn’t really info on the nuances or techniques that have to be learned the hard way. Or maybe it’s common sense I don’t have. But I was thinking wouldn’t an a/c put positive pressure in the room? Do mini splits recirculate air? Would it be smarter to get a burner or a tank? Would the added co2 make up for the extra money in that size of a space? In a space this small do I need to seal it would my best bet be passive intake with carbon filters to avoid smell? Should I do this in a house or commercial space?
Any help or info would be great. Thanks in advance!

-squirrel

3 Likes

Use 2 scrubbers, one down low and one up high on opposite side of the room. You can also have a ozone producer outside the door that you start when you enter the room, while you are in the room and let it run for 1h after you are done in the room. It will remove smells that have escaped. Also, using a “smart air cleaner” with an activated charcoal filter somewhere close to the entrance that you can start if you feel like you have to scrub the air around the entrance is a good idea to.

About Co2, remember that it’s heavier then air and if you don’t got great air circulation on the grow, it will block oxygen to reach the roots. I would start with dialing in the room and get a few grows under my belt with the setup and fix the kinks, before adding Co2. Co2 only does a difference if you have dialed in to push you plants to the max.

Pz :v:t2:

12 Likes

I’m on board with @LonelyOC. Not sure of your specifics but I have an ozone machine inline with a fan exhausting outdoors. If this is possible man this ozone hickey really kills all of it.

4 Likes

Split Ac units do note create positive pressure in the room as it is a closed system with the compressor being out of the room plus they have a dry mode that you can use to dehumidify and a heat mode. If you can have that and a good reliable CO2 source with a good CO2 meter and regulator, add fans to move air, then you would have a great environment that most of us don’t have. I don’t have the luxury of running an AC let alone CO2 but it depends on your situation. Some people have a cheap CO2 tank refill service or running gas pipes to their homes. For a new grower, it seems a bit too much to put in a growroom. New growers naturally do a lot of mistakes that cancel out by far potential benefits of adding CO2.

3 Likes

I agree , too much too soon : )

It’s like driving the Subaru on a new game , you’ll be all over the place and rarely on the road
Better to jump in the small car first , make it to the finish line and learn the track n skills needed etc

Also ozone is abit risky ???

Fresh air for the win , sealed room and co2 is for pros with many many years of good growing experience , not just winging it
: )

1 Like

i have set up many grows in illegal places. using a carbon filter and venting to an attic with an ozone generator to catch any remnants has always worked well for them. they have not been that large however, biggest was a 6x8ft closet. they may not scale well unless you have some really good fans, probably pushing and pulling. definitely make sure you are careful with ozone if you use it.

1 Like

You want to be careful venting warm moist air into a cold attic where it will cause condensation and potential molding. If you vent into the attic you should finish the job and run it out the soffit or something.

8 Likes

we are growing in a room we don’t have yet. what are we using for walls? studs sheeting only reason i ask is you can use all kinds of expensive toys but if the room is not sealed tighter than a cows ass at fly time it will be money not well spent. positive negative pressure will be a mute point as simply opening and closing the door will affect this. for example on top of a house foundation you have a piece of wood called a mud sill its what holds the frame of the house to the block or concrete foundation. between the block top of wall and underside of wood there is a small space air crack no big deal right hardly see light thrur it so small now go all the way around the house and add it all up might as well leave a window open it does not have too be fancy or expensive an ugly balloon is still a balloon 35 year canadian union carpenter

3 Likes

I have close to 15 years experience indoor/out I will be building the room out on a slab. Garage type build. My goal is to scale up and run 2-3 4x8 trays as opposed to the 2 4x4 trays I have been running. I get the just of positive and negative pressure and venting the room I’ve been growing in tents for a while. I will be running coco and drip irrigation and I don’t plan on having the res in the room. I can only use about 8-900 ppfd in the tents and my lights are capable of much much more. That’s why I was asking about c02.

2 Likes

6 Likes

When I said “get a few grows under my belt with the setup”, I wasn’t saying that you didn’t have experience. I was talking of that you should prepare for Co2, but not apply it until you got the setup dialed in. We all know that new environments need a grow or two before you start to really get the top top. It’s only when you get the top top buds every harvest you can add Co2. Because Co2 require more heat, nutes and light and if the rooms isn’t perfect. That ratio is hard to calculate. These is graphs showing how much more of each you need for set Co2 level.

1 Like

I’m not sure why you would make assumptions and treat someone like they don’t know what’s what. You did come off a bit offensive.

You’re cool bro. My goal is to eventually add c02. So how different will the room need to be with open loop system as opposed to a sealed room? The way I see it I’m just scaling up x2 and I know that brings another set of problems but I don’t think I would be going into this blind.

1 Like

I plan on building on a slab I have 3 spots to choose from. Was just wanting to know how different should the room be than an open loop system room with carbon filters and what.

You will run out of tanks faster. If you have a AC unit in the room, there is no reason to don’t use closed.

1 Like

if your room is well sealed the smell will not escape
scrubbers are very noisy and generate unecessary heat

the air conditionner will not create positive or negative pressure
just recirculate the air in the room
any venting will make the operation noticable

for a small room like yours a burner is overkill
you will get incomplete combustion, short cycles
a twenty pounds bottle of co2 last long

1 Like

What do you mean? I understand the part about a/c using up c02 but what do you mean? If the ac is in ther e just seal it up?

How do I deal with dumping the co2 at lights off?

you dont have to dump it
its forum broscience